PDA

View Full Version : Jack-O-Rama!

Franco
23-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Hooked up with Roderick for a spontaneous, last-minute jack fishing session.
In order to try and redeem himself as The Jack Master after his close but convincing defeat by Mrs Flickflack, We cruised the River and tried to analyse the success rate of recent "guests" on our boats. #We came to the conclusion that we had been far too nice, polite and helpful to our friends and / or better halves, consequently compromising our own catch rates. #We realised that we had to regroup, focus, and come out with all guns blazing to re-establish the correct piscator pecking order .........

And that's exactly what we did. #Now enlightened, and with the thoughts above cemented in our brains, We proceeded to get on the boat, hang serious shit on eachother, tell disgusting jokes (He is a sick dude), and make eachother laugh in an attempt to put eachother's game off and knock out the opposition! [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=behead.gif]

All I can say is that Rod played hard and caught the first fish, but it took a Gold Coast river junkie to get out there and show the tweed boy how it's done. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
Just joking Buddy!

Total 3 jacks: 2 babies in the 30-40cm range, and one 50cm (2 on the troll, 1 on SP's)

PS Rod, you can try to hide your embarrassed face all you like behind that rod mate!! #(He kept going on about how big His Tweed pets were!)

Franco
23-11-2005, 11:38 PM
A testimony to how aggressive thse things are ... checkout the size of the lure it ate!

Franco
23-11-2005, 11:40 PM
The rebuttal: Small 30-something jack on a SP

Franco
23-11-2005, 11:41 PM
I'll see you, and raise you 50cm........

This fish hit Roderick's lure on the 1st run, and 2nd troll back didn't hesitate. The match could've gone either way!

All fish released to compete again. Next time my home ground, Rod! [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]

land_based
24-11-2005, 12:06 AM
Awesome report mate, it seems you guys are running those canals!!!

Franco
24-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Land_based I'd say that very few of the jacks that are caught actually end up posted on this site. #Most jack fisho's keep their lips pretty tight. #Unfortunately, in some instances on the Gold coast / Tweed area, instead of ending up in photo's, a lot of these superb sportsfish end up in the esky. #I myself keep only the first one of the season, then release the rest. #

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE eating these fish as you could tell from another recent thread of mine, but there are so few of them caught (when compared to fish such as flathead) they fight so hard, and take so much effort to catch (in southern waters at least!) that these days I am on the verge of not keeping any at all. #No matter how good they taste, the feeling of an aggro jack smashing your lure is ALWAYS better!

But trust me there are other guys We know out there catching lotsofem, who are releasing them too.

slacky
24-11-2005, 07:23 AM
nice jacks.Looks like you had a ball.great stuff

Scott15
24-11-2005, 08:15 AM
wanna tell us one of these sick jokes?? ;D ::) top work guys

Benno
24-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Great stuff Franco, very good read mate..

Benno

SimonT
24-11-2005, 08:57 AM
You guys certainly have the jacks wired. I'd be happy with just one for the season. I had a good laugh at the story as I can certainly relate to it with my mates - especially the bagging each other out!!!

DaneCross
24-11-2005, 09:21 AM
That 50cm number looks a great specimen - top fish. I like they way you guys aren't afraid to show your lures off in your photos too. I know there's more to it than lure selection but many a fisho wouldn't be giving that kind of info away - you're pictures are always top-notch, complete with rod, fish and angler. Great stuff [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Why-ting
24-11-2005, 09:55 AM
nice fish lads, seem u boys are gettin amongst a few jacks down the coast way. well done good report and photos. how many hours did u put in for those three fish? ;)

flickflack
24-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Franco

It was a top evening with heaps of laughs, I was really glad I managed to pull my lure away from that last fish so that you could catch it ;)( it was close though it almost grabbed it) :D :D :)
Definately looking forward to round number 2 on your home waters. Regarding the hours we put in, probably about 2 and a half of serious fishing and another 2 hours of bagging which was probably when the fish were caught. I was definately interrupted by my Jack while telling a joke about April Fools day .
TILL NEXT TIME ;)

morty103
24-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Excellent fish.
The 50cm is a really good conditioned fish, and looks superb in the photo
Well done, you guys are doing very well on the jacks at present.
Morty

scatter1
24-11-2005, 01:07 PM
congrats guys and always great to read your reports, especially the C&R element.

sam

SgBFish
24-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Great to see so much concern for the future of our fish stocks. You blokes are setting a great example to the younger members who read these threads.
Just as matter of interest which SP would you recommend?
Cheers.

gogecko
24-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Well done guys. I was on the Nerang river Weds at dawn, but no jacks there.

Wyoming
24-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Franco - what a good read!

You are dead right about not sharing niceties with fellow feminine fisher-folk and spare guests, you can promise them the world and deliver them zilch!

matt_w
24-11-2005, 05:18 PM
nice fish mate what is the water temp like where you are getting these fish

Franco
24-11-2005, 09:28 PM
DC- Thanks for your comments mate. #I don't see a problem with helping eachother out ... Isn't that why we're here?? #But in saying that we give out info hoping that others will fish responsibly and also release fish as we do. #On the other hand anyone has the right to keep as many as they like within the law ..... it depends on what everyone's personal wishes for the future of the fishery are. #But imagine if one day you could say "well the jack fishing here USED to be good ...... but now it's EVEN BETTER!!"

To a degree I think there are some unwritten ethical rules .... if you completely find & suss out a spot, the tide, the technique etc on your own, and catch shitloads, then I think you have the ethical right to do whatever you like (within the regulations of course). #If however you score fish following advice from someone else, in their area, using their recommended techniques etc etc then I believe you have been given the privelage of their experience and willingness to help, so you should respect this and not rape and pilage or tell every other M_F----a about it. #I have had heaps of tips and help from others and always respect their spots ...... I either fish them on my own, or infrequently, and always C&R if the species are not pelagics. #If someone helps me with a "secret spot" then I keep it secret!! ##Each to their own .... but that's my standing anyhow. #

SgBfish: #The SP I suspect is not too important .... it's the depth you fish em and a good action in the right situation ..... which changes each time in different spots. #I've been using Squidgy shads in natural colours. #Others have been using gulps but I personally hate using them they stink!!

Matt_w: #temp > 25 degrees.

jackash
24-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Awesome fishing guys, and a great post. To have found a spot as productive as the one you guys fish and constantly produce, must have worked pretty hard.. so well done and lovely to see those jacks. Keep em coming in.

cheers. jackash

cuzzamundi
25-11-2005, 02:30 PM
fantastic effort fellas! some beaut fish yet again!!!
cheers,

cuzza

MarshMan
25-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Franco well said mate! I would agree with your Jack fishing ethics.

Very nice to see that your persistance, and most importantly patience, over the years Rod have developed your Jack fishing skills into a proven work of art. Always love your reports and your great pictures.

Well done again boys.

P.S. Nice creative thinking on your guys part with the change of attitude..... paid off too!

Toppy
26-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Nice post Franco, did Rodrick mention that if you out fish him you are entitled to a free rack of ribbs at Mikes Kitchen Coolangatta.
Cheers Toppy

Murph77
13-04-2007, 09:08 AM
top report mate