PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure & Pain

rando
26-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I decided to go for a look to see if I could score a feed of prawns this arvo about 4.30. Both my daughters begged to come, so I threw in a chair and a book and persuaded Anne -Marie to come too.
Found a likely spot and threw the net , tide was nearly full so it was a blind throw, and the net came up with 50 3 - 4 inch mullet.

Livies and a bait supply for my next outing( all good)

I sent one straight back out on a small spin outfit then set the rod in a holder while I gave my brand new Graphite SP stick a run,only its second outing .
I saw some activity on the livey rod, so I put the SP stick down to check what was going on and the next thing I know one of my daughters has had some kind of accident and the top 3inches of my rod is sliding down the line.( serious angst now)I was so ticked off I packed up and went home.

Then the thought of a pending tide change and a bucket full of livies got the better of me , So I dropped the familly off and headed out again to a nearby spot, with plenty of snags, and structure,, a bit off a drop off and with a falling tide I hoped there would be some eddies to fish.
First cast sat about 30 seconds then the rod gave one massive buck , then was still, I picked up the rod then felt that the weight was still there, and quickly hauled a very fiesty 63 cm flatty up the bank.
I put her in a pool and went to get my camera only to discover Anne -Marie had taken it with her when she got out of the car.
I released the flatty when I could not get a clear picture with my phone.
I stayed another 90 minutes as the tide continued to fall and when the livies failed to get any more attention I switched to a fillet off the deadbaits, This immediately got results , lots of good hits but only two hook-ups a moses perch and a squire both undersize ... released of course .
Nice outing except for the broken rod.
Cheers
rando

straddie
26-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Heya Rando

Shame about the rod but a quick tidy up and new tip and with only 3 inches gone shouldn't be too bad even if the action has changed a bit.

Sounded like a nice flatty you got, funny the different fights flathead give, some fighting little more than a piece of weed while others get all upset and go off. :)

rando
27-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Yeah Straddie the way she went off when I brought her in I thought she was a little whaler cause I couldnt see very well in the dark and she was thrashing all over the place, It was only when I got the light on that I saw she was a real beaut lizard.
I let her go even though she was legal , the big ones arent as nice on the plate I reacon.
I reacon I can bodgie up the SP stick, It will work, but it wont have that same feel you need for SPs. Bloody shame.

Fishin_Dan
27-11-2005, 01:02 AM
About the SP rod :- Where did you buy it from? When did you buy it Rob? Did you buy it new? Is it under warranty? You might be able to get it swapped for a new one.... Might be worth a phone call to them to ask about it first before hacking the rod up...

I'm just trying to think where this spot might be if you drove home, dropped off the family, drove back, and all with the livies in the bucket not dying....Especially seeing as there was Moses Perch & Squire caught!!! Hmmm ;)

rando
27-11-2005, 01:31 AM
Its the rod I showed you last time we went for a fish, its only a month since i bought it

Its a very specific spot Dan Ive fished the area before, one of those places that is right under peoples noses but if you are 30 ft either side of it you probably wont get a touch.
When I landed the flatty two chaps who were fishing near by came over for a look and a chat, and bugger me next thing they are casting either side of me.I didnt say any thing, and like i said they didnt get a touch.
Ill certainly give this spot a bit more attention.

Fishin_Dan
27-11-2005, 01:44 AM
I would definately see if there's any chance of a newbie... Some companies are more likely to than other though...

Maybe we should go check it out one time mate... See if that 30ft rule actually works! ;)

rando
27-11-2005, 01:47 AM
OK , you fish 30 ft over that way, and i'll fish right here ;D ;D

fritzy
27-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey rando,
what type of rod is it. Is it one of those squidgie rods. I bought one as part of a package last christmas and on my second outing i bent the tip to take a softie off the runner (barely bent the tip) and it snapped off about 10cm from the end. In the end i got a refund, and spent a little bit extra on a sicstick which i have been extremely happy with. Another mate has had a similar problem with that make of rod. Just saying that if yours is a squidgie stick too maybe there is something wrong with their structure or design. Interested to hear from you.
Cheers Fritzy

rando
27-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Fritzy
Daiwa Procaster, Ill ask em if they will replace it but as I did not see what happened,I dont have much hope. Its strange the rod was lying on top of a large cube of concrete about a metre square so my daughter didnt step on it or bang it against anything, but she was tangled up in the line ( she' only 5 years old) so I cant understand how it broke, maybe she just torqued the tip when she got tangled.
rando