PDA

View Full Version : 58cm and 59cm Jacks in ONE SESSION awesome!!

flickflack
22-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Hi All

After a really tough week at work needed to go Sunday night for a fish to de stress a bit. While closing the doors to the restaurant at 9 on Sunday night (nice an early)I casually asked the missus if she wanted to go for a drive and maybe have a shot at catching a jack. She wasnt too sure but I eventually persuaded her to go(BIG MISTAKE, NEVER TAKE A WOMAN ON A BOAT FISHING FOR THE FIRST TIME) We hooked the boat and headed down to the river and were floating at 10. The conditions were absolutely as calm as they could get. WE did a few laps with no joy and after noticing her starting to yawn I decided a quick run a bit further up to another spot was called for. The lures went out and I got well and trully smashed but managed to pull the fish out into the deeper water and in she came . Holy Crap a PB jack at 58cm, YOU BEAUTY. I was jumping up and down with my missus sort off looking at me going OH IS THAT A BIG ONE? (sjeesh). I explained the facts of Jack fishing to her and that this was a fish to be proud of. OK round number two.
She had now been showed what the fish would do and how to re act so hopefully she could also get one. I decided to give Franco a call to share a bit of the JACK JOY with a fellow fisher. As he answers the call the Missus shouts that she is on and the rod flattens out and I race into deeper water and throw the fone down and I am shouting pull dont give him an inch go hard and the next thing its all over and this monster is next to the boat and in the net. This time we both jumped up and down and the moment was great right up until the missus sais: SEE , YOURS WASNT SO BIG MINE IS BIGGER. :P :P
YUP we meassure hers and it goes 59cm what a fat fish. It had about 3 meters of 25lb mono hanging out its gob so we trimmed it off and back she went to terrorize the local herring population again. So the missus thinks that catching BIG jacks is easy and I am shaking my head.
It was a great evening and I might just take her with again for luck but maybe this time I will give her a book to read instead of a rod.
God fishing to you all
Cheers Rod.

flickflack
22-11-2005, 11:36 AM
The 58cm

flickflack
22-11-2005, 11:36 AM
The release

flickflack
22-11-2005, 11:40 AM
The Missus with her 59

flickflack
22-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Mugshot

flickflack
22-11-2005, 11:44 AM
The release

scuttlebutt
22-11-2005, 11:45 AM
They're some beautiful fish - especially out of an estuary! Go the mad mullet!

cheers,

steve

morty103
22-11-2005, 11:47 AM
:o :o :o
You are unbeleivable
Well done on the PB and release, really good photos and beautiful fish
Good on you!
Morty

harry_h01
22-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Well done Flickflack, and missus FF

Nice fish and nice to see them off to fight another day

Harry

szopen
22-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Very well done.

I took my mum fishing once :-X

chemmy
22-11-2005, 12:38 PM
top work once again mate you might have to show scott and i how it's done ;D ;D ;D

Argle
22-11-2005, 12:46 PM
What a top night out!! :o Well done to the both of you. I can only hope to catch fish like that....one day my time will come

Cheers

Franco
22-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Awesome fish Roderick!.
Mrs Flickflack is definitely the Queen of Jacks! Love the explosive release shot!

But expect payback for phoning me in the middle of a hook-up while I'm bustin' my arse at work mate! I'm sure I can get my Giant Herring pets to play up right in the middle of your busiest time at the restaurant!
[smiley=whip.gif]

Well done to you both.

morty103
22-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Rod,
A quick question, what outfit are you using on the jacks?... you trolling outfit to be more specific.
Cheers
Morty

Holy_Mackerel
22-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Wow, I don't know whether to be more amazed at the fish or the fact that it was a successful fishing trip with the missus.
Well done Rod. Awesome fish mate.
Wes

cuzzamundi
22-11-2005, 01:40 PM
absolutely fantastic yet again rod! unreal. what were the lures you used? well done sir.

cheers,

cuzza

ps were they in amongst snags or deeper water? thanks heaps.

flickflack
22-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Morty

Black Sheep loaded with 30lb braid and a samurai nv7 (about 8-10kg) custom built by Brad Job. The lure was a Livey Lures Mad Mullet upgraded with Gamakatsu Heavy Duty Treble 16's 40lb leader and no drag.

Cuzza

In deepish water 14 to 16ft. Trolling a rock Bar.

lukesnapper
22-11-2005, 02:13 PM
hey rod,
u are the man wel done on ure p/b and congrats to ure misis, i bet u wont be able to leave without her now mate! ;D
im headin up the local creek at 3 to give it another go into the early morning, jus live baiting tho.
i would be stoked with a catch like that! i try explaining to my other half why im out there all night, they jus dont understand what an incredible fish they are to catch! congrats again mate unreal catch! :)

keen_as_mustard
22-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Roderick,

Excellent session - makes my Jack look like live bait for yours! My wife doesn't understand the allure of Jack fishing either (or fishing in general for that matter!). I totally get the idea of taking the book for her.

Hope to hit the Tweed in a week or so - will let you know. Make sure you leave me some!

Marty

fritzy
22-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Amazing flick flack,
Just bloody amazing. Dunno how you do it, but i personally recon there can't be to many fisherman around (in any type of fishing) that can match your brilliance. Recon you should recieve some sort of an award for your skills... I look forward to seeing a post up from you every time i come on this site. Somehow, each post seems to outdo your last.
Also, fantastic to see you letting em go. Hopefully my children one day will be able to have the chance to catch one of the best fish in the sea. Thanks to your conservation efforts.
Cheers, you bloody fishing legend
Fritzy

cuzzamundi
22-11-2005, 03:23 PM
thanks rod!

cuzza

Scott15
22-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Freaking awsome fish rod!! Do you know of any canals or places to troll for jacks up near tellebudgera. Me and chemmy will have a little digny and wanna snare one of those things :o :o once again top work

fishomatic
22-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I hear jacks taste great so well done for releasing them, setting an example!
Matt

fishomatic
22-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I hear jacks taste great so well done for releasing them, setting an example!
Matt

bidkev
22-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Can't we ban this bugger from Ausfish? He makes it seem so easy :o ;) :P ;D

Bloody hell Rod, you never fail to amaze me. Well done mate. Top report and pics and great to see 'em being released. Congrats to the missus on outshining you :P ;D

kev

flickflack
22-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Scott

Mate I havent had a chance to check those areas out yet, it is on my list of things to do just need a bit more time. I still wanna check out the lakes as well for giant herring and Tarpon.Your best bet would be to just get on the water and cruise up and down and check out a few likely looking spots and then give them a go. you will soon know if they have fish on or not. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Rod

gcourt
22-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Well done Rod and Rod's better half [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] .
My wife likes to remind me of the time I managed to pull 5 jewie's in a session and how I would have traded every one for her 4kg jack she pulled out from amongst them :'(.
cheers
Glenn

flickflack
22-11-2005, 08:54 PM
yup Glenn

They have a habit of doing that , I took my missus Beach fishin in SA for the first time and she caught a 154kg Grey Nurse on a whole slimey it took me about 6 months fishing flat out to get a bigger one. We should definately leave them at home.

dorado
22-11-2005, 10:35 PM
flickflack you continue to impress and inspire me with your outstanding abilities to catch these superb fish! Great work mate and my congrats to the missus on hers too :)

dorado

Girella
23-11-2005, 08:02 AM
All hail the Champion of the Tweed !

Flick Flack's Missus :'(

flickflack
23-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Girella

I dont wanna talk about it ;)

shut_up_and_fish
23-11-2005, 11:32 AM
top stuff mate............we are staying down at kingscliffe salt for the xmas party this weekend and i know there is a little creek just north of there..........what can you tell me about this without giving any secrets away........will be using light gear with sp's, hardbodies

again you only have to look at your posts and feedback from other ausfishers to gauge the quality of your fishing.........top stuff

outsiderskip
23-11-2005, 11:33 AM
hi flickflack
u should take misses out
more u might get a pb more often

cheers pete

Why-ting
23-11-2005, 12:19 PM
hey flickflack. Awesome fish at 58cm and then the missus decides to show u up! :'( Spewin! both great fish mate and good pics well done ;) Whytey.

flickflack
23-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Shut up and fish

Mate I havent fished in those creeks at all, I do know of a few guys that walk the banks in that area flicking small softies and catch quite a few flathead so that may be a start for you.

Outsiderskip

Looks like thats the go mate. MM now how can I entice her onto the boat more often? Maybe I should call my boat tweed city mall or Pacific fair that might do it.

bigal
23-11-2005, 03:18 PM
awesome fish man. there are still bigger around the traps.

morty103
23-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Rod,

Which size Black sheep do you have, the 250 or 300, their not cheap ;D
I'm looking at the Daiwa Millionaire CV-Z253A on campbells tackle its going cheap.
Normally 479 now its 349, very nice reels
Morty

agnes_jack
23-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Awsome Flick Flack and missus flick flack!
Beautiful fish, Luv your work!!!

Regards, Tony

flickflack
23-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Morty

the 300 mate but probably would have preferred the 250. The reel came up for a very good price so I went for it . When its drag is loccked up I dont even have to put my thumb on the spool I can hold my finger on the braid without having to worry about the drag slipping and ending up with a cut finger.

Tony

I gave you a bel but you were busy I will try you again later in the week

turkey_beach_boy
23-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah nice fish flickflack. iam extremly jelous ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

slacky
24-11-2005, 07:26 AM
thats it i am going to the gold coast next week to give the jacks ago.looks like fun.cheers slacky

flickflack
24-11-2005, 09:56 AM
good luck mate

gogecko
24-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Its interesting to note that its the rock bars on the Nerang river that are producing jacks as well. MIght be a pattern emerging...
I didnt get any jacks yesterday (or all season, yet), but I did get a consolation 60cm lizard on an Atomic shad. Thanks for the tips on those SPs.

Lynchie
24-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Good stuff Rod, very nice fish. I enjoyed my first of the season last night. ;)

flickflack
24-11-2005, 08:26 PM
They look like this Rip

flickflack
24-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Rip

and another one.

fritzy
24-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Giday Flickflack,
Could you maybe post abit of info in response to the trolling leaders question in saltwater. I am most interested to hear your ideas.
Cheers Fritzy

flickflack
24-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Will have a look mate.

cyclops
24-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Geez you catch some beautiful fish flickflack ;)

Toppy
27-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Nice fish Yoli! you should have your own post.
Rodrick one day you'll go out to hook the boat on & she'll already be on the water. This is how it all starts!
cheers
Toppy

flickflack
27-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah Toppy I let her have some ribs this week

Cheers Rod