PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Estuary Flick 27th Nov - 5 Species

keen_as_mustard
27-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Went for an early morning flick this morning with JT, hoping for a Jack. Unfortunately we didn't succeed in, but we did manage a few good fish.

First fish in the boat was this 58cm Tarpon. It was amongst a number of fish feeding on the surface and fell to a 3in Berkley Gulp Minnow Grub. The plastic was fished on a light jighead and retrieved quickly so it was just below the surface. This other fish dispersed after we landed this one, so we weren't able to perfect our technique on other Tarpon.

The water was murky due to the recent rain so we had to move around a lot to find fish. JT managed to land a Trevally that hit hard in shallow water and did a lap of the boat before coming to the net. We both then managed 40+cm flatties - the one JT caught had a tag in it. So we recorded all the info and will pass on the details on Monday. Hopefully we can get the info from when this fish was tagged - if we do we will post here.

We then managed a 30cm Estuary Cod that monstered the soft plastic. My heart raced when this fish hit as the cast was only 6 inches off the rockwall and the fish hit as soon as the lure hit the water. At first I thought we had caught our target species, but wasn't too disappointed to see the Cod come into the boat.

JT finished the day with a couple of healthy Bream before we decided to call it a day. Even though it rained and blew Northerlies the whole time we were on the water we managed 7 fish from 5 species on Grubs and Jerkshads. Besides one flattie that will be dinner tonight, all fish were released to do battle again.

keen_as_mustard
27-11-2005, 04:37 PM
close up of the Estuary Cod - he really wanted this lure!

Scott15
27-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Top work marty. love the tarpon, good size

flattymattyb
27-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi Marty,

Good to see you guys out there, thats a nice mix of species for the morning, that tarpon would have given a good account of itself.

Tight Lines
Matty

slyham775
27-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Well done did you keep the tarpon ??? as they would be a top bait for jack,s when it,s fresh ... all you have to do is fillet them i have hooked some jack from that fresh tarpon .... i bet tarpon would be fun to see them fly in the air ;)

keen_as_mustard
27-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Matty,

I must have seemed a bit ignorant this morning - it has just clicked that it was you we spoke to today. We saw you doing laps around the boat off that rockwall - did you have a good fish on? The Tarpon was a bit subdued actually - the smaller ones we got last week jumped more than this one - however this one did have a fair bit of power!

Slyham,

We let the Tarpon go - yes they do look great when they jump. It really brings a smile to your face!

flattymattyb
28-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Hi Marty,

No worries mate, yeah I hooked up to a nice trevor that gave me a fair run around on 4lb they were hitting bait on the surface which is why I hadn't moved to far ;D. Forgot the camera as I slept in and didn't get away until nearly 5 so was in a bit of a rush >:(. Still smarting as I would have loved to get a piccy of the jack as it was my second biggest and to get it on 4lb from around structure was real lucky. Might see you guys there again its one of my favourite haunts in summertime up there until the skiers fire up.

Cheers
Matty

Murph77
13-04-2007, 09:07 AM
sounds like a top day mate