PDA

View Full Version : Fitzroy River Crabbing Session

CQ_Fisher
28-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Headed up around Thompson's Point on Saturday morning to do a bit of crabbing with my uncle. We used his patrol as the towing vehicle so my missus could use my car with the kid's seats in it while we were in Rocky for the weekend ("why is he telling us that?" you may be asking, well i will explain this a little later.) We had the pots baited and in the water by around 8am and took off to toss a few lures at some structure i had found on low tide on a previous day to kill a bit of time before going back to check pots. No luck with the lure casting but the 2nd pot that we checked had the biggest darkest buck i'd seen in that area in a long time ;D If this was what was in the 2nd pot on the 1st run then we were sure to get a good feed for ourselves and family :-/. Needless to say that was the only legal buck we came across all day. About 1:30pm we called it a day and ran home to the ramp at Nerimbera where the uncle headed up to the car park to get the car/trailer and i stayed with the boat. I have never seen such a disgracefull display of trailer reversing :o How could i be related to this man who was making an absolute shambles out of one thing that i try and pride myself on, "ramp etiquette". The ramp we were using is a 2 lane ramp and he had manged to competely use up the WHOLE 2 lanes. If no-one was around i would have just laughed at him and given him a mouthful but just after we arrived at the ramp another bloke and his mate had pulled up and obviously they were waiting at the top of the ramp wondering what in blazes this bloke in the patrol was doing. I told him to go back up and staighten up to give these other blokes some room but they said not to worry about it and to just retrieve the boat and they'd wait. I apologised non stop while winching the boat onto the trailer and the bloke with the boat was just laughing and telling me not to worry about it. So if you blokes are reading this i greatly appreciate your patience and i do not know if i would have been as forgiving if the shoe had been on the other foot. And Terry, if your reading this may i suggest going down to the local shopping centre carpark after they've closed and spending a few hours working on your reversing technique.

Cheers
JD

Custaro
28-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Only one mud crab? I was hoping to read you caught plenty. You got one more than what I caught this year anyway. How many times does that happen??? you get your best crab/s in first run and think your in for a ripper of a feed and go home no better off but with worse sunburn or a few more sandfly bites.

Clayton

bay_firey
28-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Glad to see you have left a few in there for me JD

Ohhhh and yeah, thanks for the invite mate but I was busy on the wekend anyways ::) ::)

CQ_Fisher
29-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Clayton, yea, pretty disapointing with only the one to take home, especially when there was 2 of us crabbing. Lucky we were using my boat ;D

Mark,
The boats living in Rocky until Christmas/New Year so i'll get onto you next time we're going for a run.