PDA

View Full Version : some sweeties at harries

SNAFU
27-11-2005, 10:15 AM
hi all,
finaly got the rig out on sat morning mainly to get some hours up for its first service.
went up to west side of mud and drifted with plastics and prawns but no luck.did same on north and east.dito :-?.never seen so many birds working :o,they were everywhere.
spoke to others there(including bloke in nice amm c/c) and they said there were some mackies in with all the other surface fish but not taking any bights.
one boat said they bagged out by 8 am on spotties but i could not find any this trip.finaly settled at harries for low tide and turn.started by drifting with prawn and squid over some features and got hit almost immediatly by 40 cm sweetie.had some real big hits but could not land them.anchored up and got 3 more about 33-36cm.tide turned and drifted for 1 more 32cm.other tinnie there got some real good ones that i saw.finished up by chasing some more surface action but no luck.the birds and surface fish went OFF :o :oafter low tide all over the place.but i dont think there were any mackies :'( in them.the bait fish are tiny.
am having first week in dec of to do some serious chasing,hope weather is kind.the indicators are looking good for this season.water temp was 25-26deg on my sounder,is that right for spotties.
craig how did you go up at morton.

SNAFU.

Darryl
27-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Gidday snafu , we were on harries for a while yesterday and could only manage squire and sweeties around 35 cm's.

What sort of a boat were you in?

SNAFU
27-11-2005, 05:27 PM
hi crestcutter,

i was in a fisher c/c. got there about 11 am i think.were you in the tinnie 2 up just north of me using long rodes with egg beaters.
got the big one first up and some bustups.moved around but no more good ones.could not believe the surface action around, but not mackies for me.mabey next time.

snafu.

Darryl
27-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Mate longtail and i were anchored up next to each other, he has a big assed round nosed tinny and i have an 18 foot white half cab carribean crestcutter. We were pulling them up one after the other, but nothing of real big size mate.

craigie
30-11-2005, 07:17 PM
snafu,

Glad to hear your out there trying to find the macks.

No macks around the beacons for us last Saturday. Worked the measured mile across to the 4 beacons then up to the Spitfire Channel. Webby pulled a legal estuary cod on the bait jig, while Touchy had a Schoolie on for 5 seconds before the hooks pulled.

In desperation we put out a couple of hard bodied lures for a troll. It proved to be a good tactic, landing a 6kg Mac Tuna then a 5kg Cobia.

Great conditions out there, sat on 4800 revs at 30knots most of the way back to Fisherman's Island.

Cheers
Craigie.

SNAFU
30-11-2005, 07:49 PM
hi cragie,

the spotties will come sooon ;), will let you know if i have any luck.
the wind might be up this weekend though, which will bail them up north of the 4 beakons for a week or so.
once that se/ne starts and run in tide in AM they should go off with a bang.the big ones will be in close to islands first up till x/mass, then out wide and north of mud.
the bait fish in the bay at the moment is amazing. so much and so small.
could not believe the bird and surface action on saturday, but no luck with the mackies.mind you the better half wants to use the mackies for bait to catch some more sweeties.(so nice when fresh).
watch this space.

SNAFU.