PDA

View Full Version : Some More Jacks in the rain

flickflack
29-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Hi all

Closed up shop Sunday night and took my mate Kev out for a Jack fish to see if he coud get his first Jack for the season.The weather was pretty ordinary with blustery winds and rain but hey who said Jack fishing was meant to be easy. The fish were reaaly finicky and we had a few hits on the hardbodies without the fish hooking up. Pretty hard to believe that they can wack a lure with three trebles on and not get pinned, but they do. I decided to take a chance and took out the 8lb spin gear with a 10lb leader and tied on a smaller lure( the thinner gear was to try and get the smaller lure down deeper) hopefully the fish would take the lure better, wether or not I could land them is another story. First troll and crunch managed a 41cm Jack on the light gear, awesome fun. Decided to move to another spot were we had a good hit but decided to give the light gear a miss because it is that foul. Kev got smashed this time and landed a good 48cm Jack with smiles all round for the first of the season. I then did one more troll on the way home with the spin stick and off went the reel . Man do these fish go hard on the lighter gear. To my absolute amazement the fish swam out on the lighter drag and we towed him away into the channel were I could take my time. Manged to slip the net under a 52cm model with beautiful colouring. So Kev got his first and I got a pb on the spin gear not bad for a rainy windy Sunday night.

flickflack
29-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Kev with his jack

Scott15
29-11-2005, 09:58 AM
lol. At it again, Top work rod!! Now its my turn ;) :P

seajayman
29-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Unreal mate!! ;D I was flicking a few hard body lures down ross creek (townsville harbour) yesterday arvo whilst drifting with the current and I had the same issue with fish not hooking up? I don't quite get it? Basically after casting into a nie spot and reteivingf slowley with little jerks the lure would be followed and a little hit but no hook up? Sharp treble hooks (and they are quite small)...any ideas? :o

Once again though....nice fish!!!

fritzy
29-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Great stuff flickflack,
Your fish is gorgeous, and so fat!! Bet he pulled some.
Good on ya mate,
Fritzy

Why-ting
29-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Nice work again Rod, i had a jack fish yesterday arvo into the night and dropped a fish on the lures in the arvo and numerous runs, hook ups and bust offs on livies but no jacks in the boat. :'( Have u done a deal with the big red devil to get all these fish in your boat the last couple of weeks? whytey (Very jealous) :'(

mjc85
29-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Hey flickflack just wondering what sort of structure you are trolling around ? Is it just sand bars ? rock walls ? mangroves?

Mitch

Franco
29-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Hey Roderick you been talking to someone who reckons they bite in shitty weather ? ::) ::)

I thought I was the only one crazy enough to fish for jacks in a hurricane??!!
Real men don't use wet weather gear tho, mate ...... you just need a lifejacket ....... makes for ridiculous photo's!!

Congrats to Kev on his His 1st Innings scoreboard.
We gotta suss out these Giant herring now mate!

flickflack
29-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Seajayman.
You have to try a few different things mate, give the fish a rest then try working the lure back a bit faster( might get a reaction strike ) or change the lure colour. Remember to give the spot a break before you hit it again. I recon once a jack has seen a lure and hit it you nned to give him a break for a while then come back with something different.

Mitch

Rock bars, rock walls and steep drop offs.

flickflack
29-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Franco

just waiting for the right tide mate then I will go and have a look at those spots we checked out.

cuzzamundi
29-11-2005, 02:51 PM
what can we say rod - youre definitely hot property right now! fabtastic YET AGAIN!!! thanks for the great pics.

cheers,

cuzza

gogecko
29-11-2005, 02:57 PM
You werent gunna let the missus PB outdo you, eh? 49 cm wasnt it? Now your back where you belong. Well done.

Does the current ever get too strong for trolling, or are you ok whatever the tide is doing?

LURE4ME
29-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Well done mate!

Seems like you are really given those Jacks a work out.

Heading to Red Rock this weekend to hopefully terrorise a few. It just go's to show that they really rely alot on their movement sensors rather than vision.

I wonder how they go after a great flash of light from a camera?

Aaron

flickflack
29-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Gogeck

No mate it was 59cm, dont think I will beat that in a hurry. I prefer less tide but if it runs harder then I just troll a bit shorter and use a deeper diving lure, the problem seems to be that the jacks arnt really out roaming when the current is ripping . They seem to be tight on the structure. trying to get out of it and they are hard to get out because they know how to use it.

Aaron

Dunno about them mate but I am just about blind after.

mattooty
29-11-2005, 03:32 PM
They're some abvsolutely awesome jacks again flickflack!!!! :o :o
Hopefully i'll be coming up in the chrissy holidays sometime but at this stage its looking like it wont happen >:( :(
Matt

flickflack
29-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Thats a pity Matt , but dont stress mate they are just getting bigger

Maybe later in the year you can come down.

dorado
29-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Awesome fish! Well done both of you :)

aussiefool
29-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Well done mate, saw the 2 of you sitting there on my way to work Sunday night and thought the 2 of you looked mighty cold. Glad it was worth while ........ I'll have to get some lights on my bo8 and have a go one night

NeMo84
30-11-2005, 12:43 AM
lovely fish there rod, and well done bringin em in on the light spin stick, guess it just depends on their reaction once they're hooked, but once again well done mate, your reports are always good for a read ;)

Carlos.

MarshMan
30-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Fantastic fish again Rod! Your skills at catchin those elusive Jacks are quite impressive. I'm sure it's taken you heaps and heaps of practise and patience.

Rod if the air and the water are warm and it's raining like hell, does wind affect trolling for Jacks at all?

flickflack
30-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Marshman

Its gets pretty hard to troll effectiveley when the wind is blowing really hard because you want a really slow troll for them, I play around with the throttle a fair bit to keep the lures running at the speed that I want them to. Rain doesnt seem to put the fish off actually I think it turns them on sometimes, as long as its not 200mm in an hour. If you are trolling a bank that the wind is causing the waves to crash up against then I am not very confident I will rather look for a lee shore and fish that. But again personal preferences mate some fishos might prefer it the other way around

MarshMan
30-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks Rod, I appreciate your feedback. Jacks are one of those special fish that we all never grow tied of catching.

Good on you mate for always being so helpful, and I hope you can keep up the great results!

flickflack
30-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Marshman

Cheers mate going for a fish tom morning to take a newbie out hope we get a few he hasnt caught any on softies yet.

Rod

flickflack
30-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Marshman

Cheers mate going for a fish tom morning to take a newbie out hope we get a few he hasnt caught any on softies yet.

Rod

MarshMan
30-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Don't think the question for you Rod is if you'll get him onto some Jacks, I think it's just a matter of posting them on here for all of us to see when you do!!

Good luck. Cheers.

MarshMan

Toppy
30-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Flickflack You are the new jack God of the Tweed.
Are you keeping tally so you can rub it in at seasons end?
cheers
Toppy

MidgieFood
30-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Great fish flickflack.
Sunday seems to be the go down there.

flickflack
30-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Midgiefood

Yeah mate its the only time I can go so it will have to do

Toppy

O definately keeping score mate, so you have got how many now? Or maybe i will just keep quiet cos I think every metre plus barra is worth like 5 jacks!! ;D ;)

Toppy
02-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Nice to see kevie got one too!

burkleybeginner
02-12-2005, 03:49 PM
greath catch mate where were you at ;) ;) ;)

flickflack
02-12-2005, 04:38 PM
The Tweed River

rabbitohbill
02-12-2005, 06:46 PM
The Tweed River

I know that spot! [smiley=undecided.gif]

jsy_bean
03-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Rod what can i say awsome jacks thanks for the fishing at the tweed learn't a lot
cheers
Mitch (tree man)

flickflack
04-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Mitch

Cheers mate we must do it again but try and get you a bigger flathead this time.

Rod