PDA

View Full Version : Bream frustration

NeMo84
30-11-2005, 01:02 AM
hey everyone, i went for a fish at a new spot i've been sussing out yesterday with SP's and i saw the biggest bream i've ever seen come out and nudge and eyeball my plastic but the bugger wouldnt bite it, im not exaggerating this bream was HUGE, managed to draw a few hits from other decent bream but they wouldn't bite the hook, and in the end only ended up with 2 legal size going 26 and 29 and both were caught fishing deeper water(out of sight), i gotta tell ya though the biggun looked to be at least 40-45cm, when he saw me he knicked off real quick same as the others, im just curious to know what you reckon the best thing is to do when you see a bream approach your plastic and start sussing it out, i wasn't sure whether to impart action or just let it sit, but yeh he was curious at the beginning but once he saw me(i was real close to him, i don't wear polarised sunnies) he just swam off in a bit of a hurry, anyway thanks in advance for any advice ...Carlos ;)

masterdusky
30-11-2005, 07:36 AM
nemo maybe Pm me the spot and Ill go and sort em out 4 u ;) persistance mate and try varying the technique... :D

fishomatic
30-11-2005, 08:25 AM
patience...give him time to check your lure out.
Matt

sf17fisherman
30-11-2005, 09:09 AM
to be honest swap over to a surface lure ;)

mattooty
30-11-2005, 06:17 PM
If a bream is following the lure, simply let the line go dead slack. Same as hard bodies. Its on the pause that they will hit. Goodluck
Matt

Scott15
30-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Thats why there big ;)

finding_time
30-11-2005, 06:49 PM
NeMo84

Dont worry about it !!!! It was only a bream ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ian
Ps. Zeeke might have an idea he's a bream legend!!! :o :o :o

Chrisso
30-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Scotty is bang on the mark, he's not that big for nothing. He's probably seen your effort a few times in his life (by other anglers) and decided no thanks. You have to make him want it though. Some of the regulars should be able to help you. (I have no idea) Your certainly in the right spot at the right time getting into the bream. Nice work altogether.

Chrisso

Jeremy87
30-11-2005, 09:40 PM
In that situation you should do one of two things. Either
1. stop everything and let the bream take the plastic on it own terms. or
2. speed up the retrieve forcing the fish to make a strike.
One of these options always works and the other always doesn't. You'll find out if you made the wrong/right decision after the fish doesn't/does take the lure.

pjfrad
01-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I think that sometimes giving the fish more time to check out your lure may turn it of.

1. It may see that it doesn't look real after all
2. If some little worm or fish has a big bream following it, would it just stop and let it'self be eaten?

I think in that situation the best thing to do is to make a short and sharp move with the lure. This makes it look like the lure is trying to escape and takes the decision time away from the fish. It must eat now or possibly miss a good meal.

Hope this helps
Pj

NeMo84
01-12-2005, 10:28 AM
yeh i let it sit a few times and the bream came right up to it, looked at it like i said and then took off, this was just under the surface, the quicker retrieve is what brought em out in the first place so i guess i shoulda kept it goin, just didnt wanna rip it away from em and also wanted to have a good look at the fish, oh well i'll let ya's all know how i go next time and i'll try take the camera with me...Carlos ;D

raefpud
01-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Bream get smart on lead in my opinion - i know its hard to cast a plastic without it, but you should try using whats called a lead nail - its lead that inserted inside the plastic therefore the lead is not exposed and the bream is clueless

fishsmith
01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
What type of SP's and gear where you using..I find when Bream are finikey a finness approach is the go..4lb fireline,6lb fluro leader with 2 inch Atomic grubs on a light as possible jig the go...Use Polaroids and avoid getting to close to the fish yourself......... 8-)

NeMo84
01-12-2005, 01:53 PM
raefpud i know what your talking about and i've been wanting to get some for ages, the other thing is the leader i was using wasn't flurocarbon but rather 4.1kg mono, of berkley trilene. I know now that i should definitely invest in a spool of vanish or nitlon or whatever, which brings me to a question, which do u guys and gals recommend?

Louis
01-12-2005, 02:49 PM
At the risk of being ridiculed:---

I'm going to say it anyway.

Why not go back to good old fashioned: BAIT

Louis

Just_chips
01-12-2005, 09:14 PM
I see your point Louis, but when was the last time that you got to watch in plain veiw (without polaroid glasses) a big bream come and check out your bait... It just doesn't seem to be quite the same, but thanks for the offer. ;D

Certainly sounds like heart pounding stuff Nemo, persistance is the key, keep at it and sooner or later you will be able to fool that wiley ole bream ;D

02-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Nitlon nitlon nitlon. Dont buy anything thing else in Aus... unless u can get jap fluro.

Zeeke
02-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Apparently im a Bream legend... git stuffed Ian.. id rather catch real fish these days then play with bloody vermin! been there.. done that.. got bloody bored

Best trick for Bream.. if they dont take ur plastic, pull out a plastic explosive and drop it in the water with a lit fuse... they wont refuse after that!

Tim

DICER
02-12-2005, 07:56 AM
I think that sometimes giving the fish more time to check out your lure may turn it of.

This makes it look like the lure is trying to escape and takes the decision time away from the fish. It must eat now or possibly miss a good meal.

Agree with first point, but the second "miss a GOOD meal" ha ha!!! yep in the frying pan ;D

Toppy
02-12-2005, 08:10 AM
I agree!
Toppy

NeMo84
02-12-2005, 10:31 AM
yeh zeeke i know your probably sick of bream but i don't have a boat mate so i chase what i have a reasonable chance of getting you old fishing toff, don't knock the bream mate, i love em alright! and as for the plastic explosives well all i can say is got any for sale? haha but yeh louis i have more fun catchin em on plastics than bait to be honest, im goin again today(lucky me ;D) so i'll let ya's know how i go....Carlos ;)

raefpud
02-12-2005, 01:19 PM
yeah i also agree - keep the leader flurocarbon and as light as possible - the better fluro's are the jap ones - look for nitlon, siglon, yamatoyo, sanyo etc.

Louis
03-12-2005, 10:04 AM
OK.

I stand Corrected.

Louis

jsy_bean
04-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Hey nemo
I went fishin for bream the first time this weekend
we used 3inch hard body lures ,the advise that was given to me was get the cast in the right place the first time, leave it for a second then wind at a good pace if they are there they will hit , we were rewarded with around 10 bream, 1 at 40 cms and a couple just under that at 39 the rest were good at 30 plus. we never sore them aproach though just hit
I Never really believed in the plastic or hard bodied range of baits before but now i know how to use them, bring it on
Jsybean

NeMo84
04-12-2005, 01:04 AM
mate a 40cm bream is a lovely specimen, well in mate and good on ya, i've had sessions like that in the past and i still remember em today, its great when they're playing the game/ on the chew, best of luck on future trips and welcome to the site ;)

Carlos.

Panda
04-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Just an observation on bream feeding patterns.

I used to have a small bream about 15cm in my fish tank. I converted him over to fresh water. Yes, they do quite well in fresh water. You can even catch them in the upper reaches in the fresh.

Anyway, I used to go down the swamp and catch the little guppies for him.
If he was hungry and hadn't had a feed for a while he would tear into them like a crazed mako. Even surface feeding on occasions. After he had consumed about a dozen he would go on killing for the fun of it. Pretty soon half the guppies would be lying dead on the floor and the rest would be trying to hide behind the filter. His technique would be -- grab the bait, crush the head, spit the bait, then proceed to devout it. You may notice this "double bight " pattern sometimes when fishing.

Over the next day or two, with his guts fairly full, he would cease to actively hunt the live bait and munch on the dead bait.
Then when all the dead bait had gone, or I had removed it to stop souring the water, he would start to actively hunt again when he got hungry. It was a regular occurrence to come out in the morning and find the plastic filter lying in the middle of the tank. Because he would bash it out of the way to get at the guppies hiding behind it. Oh, forgot to mention, he ate the wifes 4cm gold fish in the first week we had him.

Anyway, my theory on bream and lures is that they will smash a lure if they are hungry. But if their guts is full or nearly full they would much rather forage for easier food. Like, no fun doing a 100 meter sprint after a meal.

I've gone out and cleaned up on the Pikey Bream up here using hard bodied minnow lures. Other days they wont touch the same lure, but will readily take a bait drifted over the oyster rocks under a float. So what I am getting at is it just depends on the mood of the fish as to what will work best. If they are only following the lure, throw a dead bait in and a bight will be almost guaranteed.

Sean
04-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Just Chips, If you really want that big fish and like the sight fishing here is my tip. Get a couple of bakery fresh loaves of bread. Anchor upstream from wherever the fish is. Tie a small long shank hook onto your mainline, the really fine guage ones, tear up 1 slice of bread into arond 8 pieces and 1 at a time (about 2 metres apart) Throw the bread out so it drifts on the surface back to the snag, once the fish are getting aggressive ( they hit the bread off the surface) rip 1 crust off a piece of bread and break the crust in 2. Thread your hook right through 1 side of your crust and pull the whole hook through. then at the other end of your bait thread it through and back out the same side so the shank lies flat on the crust with the point out, throw out a few more bits of burley and pick which fish you want to cast to. They absolutely smash it off the surface. Fish with bail arm open and let out free line and simply close the bail arm over once they have it. I might post a pic of the bait set up make it a bit more clear. It is fun though. 1 other thing, don't bother if the wind is up and the water isn't smooth, as soon as there are ripples on the surface the fish seem to stay down. Bread has to be fresh or it just comes off. Have a go, it is fun, Sean :)

Sean
04-12-2005, 03:01 PM
pic1

Sean
04-12-2005, 03:04 PM
pic2

Sean
04-12-2005, 03:07 PM
pic3

Sean
04-12-2005, 03:14 PM
pic4