PDA

View Full Version : Woody Point Fisheries Bust!!!

land_based
07-12-2005, 12:26 PM
I decided to head to woody point jetty for a fish, so i grab a mate and his missus and tell them to come for a fish with me down the jetty. Dropped into bcf on the way grabbed myself some new crab pots and line etc as i thought i might try for a shark or two. Arrived at the jetty just after dark. Whilst walking up the jetty i noticed a group of foriegners (race not to be disclosed) checking there crab pots. They had heeps out atleast 10. There would have been 5 or 6 of them i thought nothing of it and headed up the end of the jetty to set my lines out. After an hour with only catching one catfish and lots of undersized and female crabs (nothing legal) in my 2 pots after checking them which were all returned to the water rightfully, so they can frow up to be big and fat and make a huge offspring this summer. I turn around to see fisheries officers with there torches looking through the foreigners polystyrine box, obviously something was wrong as they stayed there talking to them for around 10 - 15 mins.
ONe of the officers came up to me and introduced himself (nice bloke) and asked if the 2 pots here were mine. I replyed with 'yes officer'. He checked them and checked the knots on them and said no worrries and proceeded to ask me about the young chaps down the jetty, telling me they had found a large quantitiy of undersize and female crabs. He asked me if I owned any other pots on the jetty i said no officer. He asked me if I'd seen them check the pots close to them and if id seen them with the polystyrine container, i said yes and yes. He thanked me for my co-operation and said he might come back later on for a few more questions. No worries i said.

About half an hour passed and as i looked down the jetty they seemed to have finished talking with the foreigners and began walking up towards me. This time the other officer walked up to me, not the one i had talked to previously, as he approaches me the other fisheries officer says to him, this is the guy i talked to before i checked the knots on his pots and theyre tottally different, he then said he is going to follow the foreigners to see which car they got into. So off he went and left me with this new officer. The new officer explains whats happened down the jetty again and he says that they deny that they are theryre pots and they also deny that that is theyre polystyrene box. He also said that I have the same type of rope on my dillies as the ones further down. I explained to him that i bought these both brand new today and that is the rope that comes with them. HE proceeded to ask if the7y were my poits down the jetty and if that was my polystyrine container.

Now I realise for legal reasons they have to eliminate everyone who could have owned these pots but i felt a bit insulted after helping the other officer out telling him ive seen them check the pots and everything. These guys were a good 50 metres from everyone on the whole jetty and they had there pots next to them and there box full of female crabs right next to all there gear but it seems they can jsut almost getaway with it by jsut saying no thats not ours. Then to make things worse this officer comes up to me and suggests theyre mine when i am one of the most people backing the fisheries, i have fished the pine river all my life and have never thought of taking anything undersize and i know how bad the system is there at the moment. Especially reading that it has got marked D's on the last 3 annual reports.

Any way so after that he says to me if you caught anything in your two pots how would you transport it home, i said in my bucket right over there, so off we go and he looks through my bucket. No undersize anything there!!!
HE then says ok thats all good i want to ask you some questions about what youve seen tonight.

Q. Do you know who owns those pots down there.
A. YEs the foreigners who jsut left

Q. How do you know that they are theres??
A. I saw them check them numerous times before you arrived.

Q. Was it a male or a female that checked them.
A. 100 percent it was a male.

Q. Did you see them put anything into the polystyrine box?
A. No i didnt.

Q.Do you think it is theres (the box) if so why??
A. I've seen them down here every day with it, i come down around 3-4 nights a week and they are always here with it and always have all of those pots out.

The series of questions went on, he said what will happen now ill go back to the office and give this to the boss and see if we have enough evidence to take them to court. I asked him what sort of quantities were involved and he said he couldnt tell me. He than ked me for my co-operation and gave me his card and off they went.

They werent so bad after all i jsut felt a bit insulted that they had to check my stuff, When it was so blatenly obvious that it was the foreigners gear.

I hope these guys do go to court and if they need me to give any evidence i will be ready to any day. This has gone on too long, here i am wondering why i cant get a nice big buck in my pots when these di*&heads are raping the ocean taking every single tiny jenny they catch. The polystyrine container was left on the jetty after everyone left so i looked into it and they only left one crab in it obviously the only legal one as all the others mustve been thwon back after photos were taken, i grabbed him out and through him back in.

I would like to congragulate these two officers that came out there last night, it really is good to see that they are protecting out waterways from these thiefs. Good on you youre doing a great job keep it up!

And to the thieves i hope that wack you with a huge fine in court so you cant afford to buy any new crab pots.

end rant now ////

cheers rob

MIKOS
07-12-2005, 01:02 PM
BASTARDS,

Very good post this.should be more good news stories.

Hope they get a huge fine. >:(

But watch i bet they will be back doing it again. ::)

MIKOS :)

Billo
07-12-2005, 01:07 PM
definately good to hear some people getting caught when in the wrong ....too many get away with it ..

uripper
07-12-2005, 01:09 PM
A sad & all too frequent event - what ultimately happened to the pots and styrene foam box left behind?

Recently saw a family group of "foreigners" scouring the low tide mark at Redcliffe, apparently picking up every living piece of marine life presumably for some sort of seafood chowder slop. I suspected they might not have known the local rules so politely offered them some advice only to be told to "ruck off" - in hindsight I should have phoned fisheries then and there, but didn't think of it.

A word of warning to fellow ausfishers about "possession" of illegal crabs, fish etc. If you transport the illegal item(s) from the exact place of capture then you are deemed to be in "possession". So no matter how good the intention or legitimate the reason, never put the illegal item(s) in your boat with the idea of sorting it out later.

cuzzamundi
07-12-2005, 01:27 PM
gday rob,

great to see theyre scouting out the pier. yeah it sux when they suspect youve done something wrong as well, especially when you do all the right things. how'd you go anyway? any decent sharks lately? wha twere you using for bait? cant wait to get up there! cheers,

cuzza

masterdusky
07-12-2005, 01:28 PM
good to hear someone is being caught..although convicted could be another matter...... even though u felt insulted by the questions remeber these guys have procedures to follow and have to eliminae all possibilities.....

Mick
07-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Good post Rob, however don't get upset if the officers didn't beleive you when you said the pots (owned by the forieners) were not yours. It would of been slack investigating if they just took your word for it. Even if it seems you were guilty til proven innocent.

land_based
07-12-2005, 02:27 PM
I realise that, at the end of the day i felt better that i helped them out as much as i coud have, if i do see them there again it will be hard not to chop all there pots off and throw thier catch back into the water.

No sharks last night cuzza couple of good runs but spat the bait. Only catties and 1 shovelly.

The pots were left on the deck of the pier, the foreigners left without them because they "weren't thiers" and fisheries didnt coferscate them. I told some young blokes on the jetty to take them ;D ;D

They were happy to score some free pots!!!!!

outsiderskip
07-12-2005, 02:31 PM
good one
hope they catch more of the barstards

Dezzer
07-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Exactly the same scenario on the Hornibrook about 6 months ago. Also heard this mob talking to some other fishos but they forgot how to speak English when fisheries where questionig them.

jimmybob
07-12-2005, 03:54 PM
wish those fishery officers were at bongaree jetty on ocassions! :-[

Argle
07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Good to see the boys out patrolling, it sux that they cant fine the pr@cks on the spot and take all thier gear.
It sh*ts me to tears the attitude of some people that they can just take whatever they want, you only have to look at some of the fisheries in these "foreign" countries to see that they have become decimated because of this very same attitude. >:(
Lets hope they get what they deserve - even though it will probably be a pittance of a fine and they will be back again next week doing it again >:( >:( >:(

Cheers

Scott_Watson
07-12-2005, 04:48 PM
The old storey of swings and roundabouts - what goes around comes around. Like 'DD' its not a case of if, its a case of when. Language barriers are certinally no excuse.
Perhaps they should be checking more of the local LB fishing establishments like Shorncliffe Jetty and Cabage Tree Creek etc.

Cheers
Watto

FOOCKCHUCKER
07-12-2005, 05:00 PM
did you see anything officer? no not really only the back of a cheap pair of crappy imported shorts that my size ten boot was striking at an alarming rate of knots. oh yeh i did here a vey load groan though. >:(

dfox
07-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Rob,out of interest did you have your name and address on your pots?
Fisheries arent dumb, chances are they have plenty of night vission video surveillance of these people checking and putting crabs in there box. To convict offenders its important that every proceedure is followed, leaving no avenue to escape.

land_based
07-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Admitedly i didnt have my name on my pots as i only picked the 2 dillies up form bcf that day, fisheries asked me about it and i explained this and i recieved a warning, if i had my name on my pots they probably wouldnt have looked through my bucket, any way they took great attention to detail to note that i had tied mine to the jetty with blood knots and theres were done like a baitcasters birdnest. It's a credit to them.

Very nice chaps, and very professional. They said that they have been tipped off about the group down there taking jennys.

The officer gave me his card and pointed out the number to call if i ever see anything suspicious or illegal like these foreiners were doing.

Fisheries call centre - 13 25 23

rando
07-12-2005, 05:59 PM
pack your camera Rob, next time you see them, a couple of discreet shots ,,,,could help fisheries nail the bastards
rando

yockman
07-12-2005, 08:14 PM
I'd be pretty confident those boys knew the pots weren't yours, they were just strengthening their case against the poachers

pegasus
07-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Good on you Rob- am in agreeance with you and also hope these guys get the full swing of the court. It makes it hard to get some legal size crabs or fish when you have these types taking all.Maybe its the way its done there but new place new rules. As said earlier dont take offence to the the questions they re just trying to cover the bases- am sure they are thankful for your input.

cheers mate

Black_Rat
08-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Good to hear stories like this ;D i'd luv to see more TV shows like the one on ABC recently showing the Fisheries boys in action like the US show "Cops" .....freeze or i'll get my mullet out ! ;D ;D ;D

liltuffy
08-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Hey Rob, the sad fact is that these chaps will probably get let off with a slap on the wrist.

Last year a fellow I know got caught off Noosa with 110 undersize pearl perch and red emeperor, he went to court and faced the music and received a $1000 fine. The frustrating part is that all his fish are sold on the black and his response to me was "Oh well it'll only take about 2 weeks work to cover the fine".

I didn't even know this bloke was selling fish on the black until he let the cat out of bag one night. Needless to say I don't associate with him anymore. It seems that our foreign imports have a peculiar talent of being able to weasel out from under fisheries offences and fines. That what I call racism.

roz
08-12-2005, 08:49 AM
I enjoyed reading that, very good story.

Interesting to find out the end result, keep us up to date please.

Cheers Roz

imported_admin
08-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Surely if fisheries were serious about getting these guys they would have done a bit more evidence gathering. Simply grab a video camera or two and film them checking the pots and putting crabs in the box.

It is not rocket science, just simply investigating skills.

Or maybe fisheries don't really want to do anything about it, just want to be seen to be doing something.

Nugget
08-12-2005, 10:48 AM
I made some enquiries and was told the following:

Firstly the practice of questioning other persons in the area is purely a sound investigative technique especially when there is some circumstantial evidence to support the alleged offenders story in this instance the commonality of the ropes used. Obviously in this instance that was coincidence but in a defended court matter all of these issues are raised by defence teams and by law need to be negated by the investigators.
Secondly and this follows on from the first point, the issue of impartiality is also raised here, and defence teams will raise the question of wether all other person\s were questioned as to their possible involvement. Again it is a question of negating a possible defence or doubt that may raised in the courts.
Thirdly evidence collection is obviously an important issue and the reason that this person was questioned by the second officer is that he was the principle investigator and needed to record the interview as such so that he can complete the investigation as per the procedure......

It does appear to the general public that this is an intrusive or difficult procedure but it is a procedure that is imposed on all investigative bodies so that the process is fair and seen to be fair as well. I guess that importantly in the end "Rob" has not been breached so the investigator has obviously excluded him from the investigation as a suspect.

Dave ><>

madman1
08-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Good report Rob. I have now saved the Fisheries number into my mobile. All they need to do is improve their times in getting to the scene of the crime.

JayT
08-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Hey Rob,
Cheers to ya mate, stand ya ground, nothin sh*ts ya more than seeing environmental rapists!!!
Especially when they are you know whats!
Dont mean to be you know what, but had a similar experience recently.
Wasn't with the rape an pillage stuff, more the total disregard for other anglers, (me an a mate) fishin one of the 4beackons to be exact!
Hard to accept some people when alot prove to be tar'd with the same brush.
Sorry if I offend anyone.
Ceers Jason.

westie
08-12-2005, 06:02 PM
A thing to note is if placing Fisheries No into your Mobile make sure it is the MAIN number or there Field Mobile Number as 13 & 1800 won't work on most mobiles They will give you the field Mob Number if you explain you would like to contact them when the offence is happining.

The other option is to get you spouse/friend on land to contact them and they will give fisheries your Mob Number.

Just something to remember time is the issue here.

Mooloolaba Feild No is 0419745715 office 54444599 I also have the Bosses No that is how keen they were to help Top guys

robersl
08-12-2005, 08:54 PM
im surprised they did not take the pots if the had no id on them after the other people left unless they thought they might come back for them
great story

land_based
08-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Thankyou for all your support in this matter.

From now on i will pack my other digital camera with video recording capabilities, if this crowd get off this crowd get off the hook form this serious infringement of our fisheries laws when it was blatantly obvious that it was there pots and esky, i will feel guilty that i didnt do more.

cheers rob

Mick
09-12-2005, 07:41 AM
Maybe fisheries officers should get paid to learn a second language....., any guesses for which language?

SgBFish
09-12-2005, 11:35 AM
I think in these matters we are either part of the solution, part of the problem, or part of the scenery!

What rights do the police have in these matters. There are plenty running around the Peninsular at the moment and even more will be out over the XMAS period can they enforce the law in these matters.

It would be quicker to take a few snaps of the offenders car and call the coppers.
Cheers,
Scott

RobSee
10-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Surely if fisheries were serious about getting these guys they would have done a bit more evidence gathering. Simply grab a video camera or two and film them checking the pots and putting crabs in the box.

It is not rocket science, just simply investigating skills.

Or maybe fisheries don't really want to do anything about it, just want to be seen to be doing something.

Are you trying to stir the pot Steve?

FOOCKCHUCKER
10-12-2005, 01:40 AM
ah well they do have a bit of a attitude as it seems EVERYTHING is undersize. :o

reeldreamer
10-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Finally they might pick on some one who is doing the wrong thing for once! sounds like it could of easily been you who took the fall for them!

Mitch