PDA

View Full Version : Coomera river. Finally got one

Jeremy87
14-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Went for a fish today with a couple of friends from work on the coomera river. After a late start we were on the water at around 11 (brake lights weren't working on the trailer and had to rip the whole bloody car apart to fix the connection). Anyway put in near the M1 and immediately went a few hundred metres upstream to fish the rock wall on the opposite bank. After about 5 minutes of casting i hooked up and landed a mid 30's estuary cod on a deep diving hard body. I persisted with hard bodys for the rest of the day while the other two boys flicked softies round. At high water we ventured up one of the small feeder creeks further upstream. Matt got a big hit that totally destoyed the plastic so big matt (both of the boys are called matt so i will refer to them as matt and big matt to avoid confusion) fired a few casts near the same snag and hooked up. Big matt is relatively new to fishing and though me and matt are starting to refine his casting skills he still panics when he hooks up. Anyway so he skull drags in a little jack and lifts it staight into the boat still very green (though i was excited to see a jack into the boat the only thought going through my head was 'expensive rod' as he was using mostly my fishing gear). Anyway tried to get a photo of him holding it but he refused to touch it on the precedent that "I'm not touching it the bloody things gonna bite me". And i don't blame him cause the jack kept snapping his jaws when i picked it up. Matt got a decent bream a little flathead not long after. Anyway the dropping tide forced us out of the creek and i noticed a big hole going from 4 metres down to 8 with a big black blob sitting in the middle. Excellent i said they must be prawns. Chucked the cast met and left it to sink. when i pulled it up it was heavy and kicking but unfortunately it was just a huge school of herring. rest of the day was unproductive. We went back down to the M1 and had a quick flick around the pylons but d!ckheads in they're ski boats were taking joy rides under the bridge at about 30knots. Would have reported them but didn't know who to call. Wasn't there a death in this section of the river? Anyway thats my rant. Hopefully we'll get a few more organised trips in and land a bigger one.
Jeremy

john_steward
14-12-2005, 09:57 PM
such a sleek looking fish, makes you wish you had a big fish tank.

jackash
14-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Nice little fish. Theres a few about there atm. Well done.
Cheers
Jackash

rajawolf
14-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Jeremy,

good report..and a nice jack.

land_based
15-12-2005, 02:17 AM
Nice report jeremy, i know the feeling of your mates using your gear. They never seem to use it as carefully as you would like!. Nice jack mate well done.

Rob

keen_as_mustard
15-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Nice Jack Jeremy,

Isn't it always the way - the least expereineced guy catches the best fish!

How did it go for size?

Marty

Jeremy87
15-12-2005, 09:01 AM
The jack was only little, 20-25cm at a guess. Next time i'm going to head downstream as it seams that most of the jacks are being caught there.

gogecko
15-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Well done mate. Downstream is better than upstream IMHO. Not much upstream except catfish most of the time.
Yes thats the spot where a young guy died jumping off the bridge, its only 4-5 ft deep at low tide.

Franco
15-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Nice work Jeremy.....

I reckon it's always great when you're the captain and someone new to fishing catches a great fish on your gear with your advice!! Very rewarding even if its a small one! Crisp photo mate.

Hopefully it'll be your line next time.

MIKOS
15-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Good on ya jeromy,

Looks like a nice little fish

MIKOS ;)

NeMo84
16-12-2005, 09:31 AM
yeh jacks are great looking fish ;D