PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Fishing Park 10/12/05

Just_chips
10-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Took the family up to try our hand at catching a barra at Aussie fishing park on the sunshine coast today. We used the pellets that were supplied by the park, some live poddy mullet that I netted before we got there and I had some plastics and my bream gear with me.

It was a stinking hot day so we found a spot under a shelter and stopped there to fish with the pellets, intending to get the kids a barra before using the livies in the big boys pond or at the least the mixed species pond. We worked bloody hard for a good 2 hours to no avail and the kids soon lost interest, you could see the fish come and hit other pellets floating in the water but when they came to one with a hook in it they would just give it a nudge and move on to the next >:(

Anyways after the boys had lost the plot I took a walk around flicking plastics in various places and finally had a hook up after several serious bumps and numerous follows right up to my feet. I was a bit dissapointed with the fight, but I expect that a wild caught barra would give a better account of itself than one landlocked in pond with no real water flow.

Still my first barra though, didn't put the tape on him so not exactly sure of length or weight but would guess that it was around the 500-550mm. Very happy to finally catch something after spending a good three hours in the sun. We completed the day with a trip maroochydore beach to cool off before heading home.

Cheers Kev

masterdusky
10-12-2005, 07:01 PM
good stuff mate...not a bad plac to take the kids to teach them a few things ;)

robersl
10-12-2005, 08:52 PM
morayfield eels fishing club kids party is on there next sat arvo, hope there biting a bit better they say around 3pm they start to come onthe chew when its feeding time

bazza_mundi
10-12-2005, 09:48 PM
G'Day mate,

I fished the Barra Classic there with a mate a few weeks ago and it was very quite, I fisheds all day with lures and only got 2. One on a Berkley flickbait at 46cm and the other 47cm on a Snapback paddle tail. I reckon they where shut down from all the rain we had the night before and all of the lures splashing on the surface.

I reckon its great that u took the kids there, its a good place for them to catch there first Barra without running into to many hassles.

Happy Fishing
Bazza_mundi

CODE_BLUE
12-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I also fished the Park on Saturday from 3 to 6 PM. You are right about several things, it was B hot and from talking to others, the fish can pick the pellets with hooks, and believe me dont even think about using lures.

After 5 days of fishing Monduran for 1 strike, I thought the park would be a breeze, WRONG. I threw every Barra lure I had at both ponds and even a Jackell for nothing. I watched a guy and his daughter at the Big Boys Pond. He got 2 on light gear on pellets and I took his place on the southern wall about 5.30 when the shadows were starting to cover the pond. I threw some of my pellets in the water and it just erupted. In a mad panic I cast a small shallow diver and got zip interest, before remembering I had bought some 2 inch poppers with me. Tied on one whilst still in panic mode, now 5.55 and fish talking pellets 2 feet away from edge, and cast out only to get a small birds nest. Whilst trying to untangle I heard another splash as what I thought was another pellet being inhaled only to find that the popper was nowhere in sight. Engaged the reel and found the popper, well and truely down inside a big barra. Ten minutes later, about six head shaking jumps later, after heart failure at reaching the bird nest a couple of times before poetically running along the bank to get some line back on the reel and after the final siren for the day I landed a 80cm Barra. UNREAL, what a buzz and relief. The small size of the popper and the time of day worked in my favour. I only wished I had worked it out earlier.
I would have posted this yesterday if I could have worked out how to attach the photo. Hope it works this time and hope this info helps anyone considering a trip to the park.

Code Blue

jeffo
13-12-2005, 07:04 AM
we had our club chrissy party there all day sunday. fishing was ok early then i think the fish get over fed. i ended up with 3 decent ones form the big pond.

was my first few barra... although in my opinion i am still not counting them as real fish ;D.. i want a real wild barra.

Brooksy
13-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Good to see we missed a good BBQ. But i must question why you can still stand up ? ;) ;)

Steve

RobSee
13-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I went there one stinking hot and windy day a couple of years ago. Tried Prawn stars, bombers and bid ar$e poppers to no avail.

The shop guy told me the best way to use the pellets, and I ended up with about 8 of the buggers. They can pull a bit, but the biggest challenge was trying to cast a weightless pellet with an old cheap Shimano baitcaster (BC200)

I ended up pulling off a length of line off the rod, and cast it - hand line style - up into the wind, so it would get carried out into the water.

The barra did not jump - like the wild ones that I have caught. Not sure why - any thoughts???

I also had a paddle around in the mixed species pond. I thnk a jack got me - absolutley smashed when casting a bomber at the pontoon in the middle of the pond.

63eh
13-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey all dont bother before about 430pm as these barra are not real active till about this time, you can throw lures till your blue in the face with litttlew to no sucess, My advice is either live bait, or pellets , using the lightest line you can as these fish very rarely take pellets with heavy leader hanging off, hope this helps
cheers Dan

Just_chips
13-12-2005, 08:21 PM
hey c'mon guys lets show a bit of etiquette here, you don't just tack on to the original posters thread showing pics of bigger fish from the same location on the same weekend ;D I'm now beginning to feel a little inadequate :-/

Oh well maybe next time ;D

Captian_Zero
13-12-2005, 08:55 PM
I went to the park in April. Fished all day with lures and pellets and it took me until the late afternoon to get my first fish. They said then the water was too cold for the barra to be tempted by a lure and they were more active in the warmer months. I thought it would be easier than it turn out to be.

Regards

Chris

fincho
15-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey,

Also headed up there a while ago spent the whole day flicking lures and ended up with only a jack to show for it. It was the only fish i saw caught that day so geuss i have to be happy but it was very different from what i expected!!

FINCHO

Az
15-12-2005, 10:28 PM
hey c'mon guys lets show a bit of etiquette here, #you don't just tack on to the original posters thread showing pics of bigger fish from the same location on the same weekend #;D #I'm now beginning to feel a little inadequate # #:-/

Oh well maybe next time #;D

well I actually wen't up on the weekend aswell and could only get this :P

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2535/barra1nk.jpg

Mick81
18-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Well i had also been to this park and i tell ya, i wouldn't spend a bloody cent on this park >:(, 1. There is no where to get out of the hot , scorching sun. 2. The poor barra are all red and the mouth and have no energy because they get caught all the time (If you can catch them) ::) 3. For what you pay to get into the place and don't catch fish like you would think, it's not worth it. My way of thinking if you take kids there and since kids have short attention spans you would want to catch fish.
Anyways from the past posts i don't think i'm far off the mark.