PDA

View Full Version : Another Brisbane River Thready

blue-mako
02-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Ando (mat_anderson04), Tim (Timbo) and I headed down to the Lower Brisbane River for a shot at some Salmon since Tim hadn't caught a good one before. Ando was onto a foul hooked Ray early on and we all got into 1 or 2 Catties through-out the night with nothing unusual.

When the bite started to slow down we started flicking a few plastics in the shallows for some Bream and Cod. Ando was on first cast to a Moses Perch as was I with a Bream. We didn't get a Cod only managed to land a few more Bream and a 42cm Flattie which kept us entertained as only the Catfish were biting.

Tim got onto a very obvious Salmon and after some solid head shakes under the pontoon it was all over spitting the hook. Tim wasn't a happy chappy.

Tim's Mum arrived and it was time for him to go. (It was past his bed time) Just before he had to leave the Barra combo started getting a few taps. Tim was right on it since he really wanted a Salmon. He gave it a good yank and he was on to something small but had extreme head shakes so it was called for a small Salmon by Ando. Up came Tim's first ever shark, a nice little Bronzie Whaler measuring 64cms.

Soon after Tim had left the Abu made that never ending buzz that we all wanted to hear. Ando pulls it from the rod holder and starts getting into what we thought was a Ray. Half way through the fight Ando handed me the rod since he had already landed a few Catties and Rays for the night, what are mates for? ;D . Once he hands it over, quote, This better not be a Salmon ay? unquote. The fish was right under the pontoon and heading for the bottom as a Ray does. But there were a few chracterising headshakes that had us both guessing.

Up pops a 84cm Thready thrashing about on the surface. I pass the rod to Ando, leant over, and bellied him up onto the platform. We got a few flicks and sent him on his way. Happy with the night we decided to head back to home for a good nghts sleep.

Total Tally between the 3 of us was:
5 Yellowfin Bream
1 Moses perch
1 Dusky Flathead
5 Forktailed Catfish
1 Common Ray
1 Bronze Whaler
1 King Threadfin Salmon

Ando has pics taken on his new digital camera he bought for cristmas which might I say is quite the impressive camera. They will be up on the site by around 1pm this arvo.

Troy

cuzzamundi
02-01-2007, 12:16 PM
fantastic troy! you really have the threadies down pat, not to mention the other species there! how big are the rays usually, and how often do you get em down there? good report mate.

cuzza

also, do you get many pike eels in the bris? as you can probably tell we're gathering shark bait again and we're looking for new areas to get rays and pikes. any help'd be greatly appreciated, as the brissy is new territory for us. feel free to pm me mate. ta.

chief
02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
you fellas get a few of these salmon, well done. you got me thinking about having a shot at these threadfin. Great report

nabs12
02-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Nice session Troy.. Next time you guys go, im coming ;D
Cant wait for the pics

mat_anderson04
02-01-2007, 02:20 PM
alright here's are some pics from last night.

ando

mat_anderson04
02-01-2007, 02:23 PM
sorry about the quality. had to resize from 1200kb.

ando

mat_anderson04
02-01-2007, 02:25 PM
same salmon, on the bragmat.

mat_anderson04
02-01-2007, 02:27 PM
me salmon.

mat_anderson04
02-01-2007, 02:28 PM
the release.

cheers ando.

gregdeeth
02-01-2007, 05:31 PM
great work guys.

marty+jojo
02-01-2007, 07:12 PM
great stuff :o

StevenM
02-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Nice work guys

zach
02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
nice salmon guys
cheers
zach

Dory4.1
02-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Well done, good to see fish like that in the river, what are they like to eat?

Rgs
Michael

pegasus
02-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi guys,

Excellent report- great pics-soundslike you got a handle on these guys.

nob
02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
really nice fish!!!!!!

were du get her??????

Murph77
02-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Nice fish guys, well worth the effort

BR65
03-01-2007, 06:26 AM
great color on that threadie mate.
Well done on the catch and release
cheers
Brian

BAR_UP
03-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Hey blue-mako well done, not sure if you got him on baitfish or plastic regards "BAR UP".

blue-mako
03-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Nar mate we use live baits for the Threadfin. Were we get them it's too hard to get the plastic to the bottom, even with a 1 ounce jighead. I had a sound around in my kayak last week where we catch them. I never knew, but know wonder they are there. It drops from about 5m to 15m in about a 5-10m paddle. Then about half a meter from the bottom is just a nice thick line of bait.

We got another one last night so we will probably do a report on that one aswell.

Troy

T1
03-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Sounds like another great night there fella's! If i can just tear myself away from Wello Pt, i might just try and land myself another Threadie...

Discovered some nice structure at a Xmas function not far from where you guys fish that i'm keen to hit one night soon!

Take Care T

tobig
03-01-2007, 08:38 PM
good fish . i will be fishing for them soon as well

split-shot
04-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Does anyone know what size the threadfin will grow to in the Brisbane river? I know they can reach a good size up north.
Great to see the release of these type of fish. Hopefully they are breeding in the bay/river area.

LUMOX
04-01-2007, 12:25 PM
well done guys got them sussed hey. do they fight hard? never caught one.

T1
04-01-2007, 09:44 PM
well done guys got them sussed hey. do they fight hard? never caught one.

LUMOX, surprisingly, they run hard initially but once they run out of puff, it is a case of pump and wind! I was surprised at how quickly it took to land the one in my pic to the left given its size - expected to take a lot longer once we saw the size of it...

Take Care T

mat_anderson04
05-01-2007, 02:52 PM
split-shot: They grow pretty dam big! I have only seen a few pictures of Threadfin the same size as the ones we've pulled from the river. My P.B. is 10.48kg but I'm certain there's bigger ones out there.

lumox: Like T1 said. They smoke you to start with then usually swim towards you to get a bit of slack line and throw the hooks. Some just keep going like Stingrays and others take the bait and swim straight to you without even realising there's a fish on it. They take the same gear Barra do but usually go on faster, shorter runs since they are more light weight and speedier.

Troy

ssab1
05-01-2007, 04:50 PM
bloody top salmon great to see you let him /her go numbers appear to be growing,top catch ,whaler wouldve been good chewing and a nice buzz.cheers alex

Toppy
12-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Nice work guys, love that colour in those thredies!
Nice to see something different in the reports, I look forward to seeing the next big monsters you guys catch.

Cheers
Toppy