PDA

View Full Version : HJ75 Gearbox.

Big_Kev
03-04-2004, 06:07 AM
I have a 75 series toyota trayback and the gearbox is leaking oil badly between the sections.
Where is the best place to buy a bearing overhaul kit to suit.
And can the gearbox be removed from the chassis or will I have to pull out the engine and transmission in one as there is a cross member directly behind the box.
Cheers Kev. :) :)

Needmorerum
03-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Kev, not sure where you are, I know Toyota is as expensive as hell, If your in Queensland (although it doesn't matter) look up 'Queensland Cruisers' in Rockhampton, they stock or can get just about anything for a Cruiser and at competitive prices. No affiliation Yada Yada Yada.
You can remove the box without removing the engine, taking the Transfer Case with it. It is good to have a hoist and gearbox jack/stand to do this cause the weight in the pair is incredible. If you don't have access to a hoist at least try and borrow two trolley jacks and get a couple of mates to help you.

HTH
Corry

Big_Kev
05-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks for that Hard Corr

sharkbait
05-04-2004, 04:01 PM
kev, if you can hang on until tuesday i can try and get you a kit at trade price through work. jackstands andn trolley jacks here as well.

kris.

Thebuffalo
09-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Kev where wil you find two mates though :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I suppose I'll help, you'll have to bring her here though. By the time you get here thebuffalo will be finished :)

Do you have and equalizer pipe? I blew an output shaft seal on my 75 series troopy which Toyota put down to the pressure build up. Could this possibly be the cause or is it age? How fast and hard do you drive it? Knowing that you are 6/6 its probably a load problem ;D

savagetin
12-04-2004, 03:34 AM
Kev, Had a similar problem with my hj75 troopy. The transfer case was pumping the oil into the gearbox and pressurizing it. Fitted an equalizing tube and have not had a problem since. That was over ten years ago.
Tony

Big_Kev
13-04-2004, 08:19 AM
I am aware of the oil transferr problem and will be getting a pipe made for sure.
Had another look and I am not looking forward to getting that sucker out (big and ugly). I think I might palm it off to the local transmission man to pull it out and refit it after I fix the box.
Thanks for the replies Kev.

savagetin
13-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Don't need to have a pipe made, Thomsons or Repco will will have the mod. I've got the Toyo workshop manuals if you want to look/borrow them.
Tony

Big_Kev
13-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Got a manual the other day thanks mate.
Don't look to hard, I think I can do the box in my shed.