PDA

View Full Version : 60 series cruiser

poss
21-04-2004, 07:04 AM
Thinking of buying a 60 series cruiser 83 model 4h engine can anyone tell me of any major problems with this model.

Big_Kev
21-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Top trucks.
getting long in the tooth.
Rust is the biggest enemy as it can't be fixed once it gets a good hold. Starts in the roof and front of bonnet.
Some good examples still to be found and can pull good money.
The 4ltr diesel engine is great and lasts for a long time as long as it gets serviced regular and change fuel filter every service as well to look after the injection pump.
Check the gearbox goes through the gears easy as the first to go will be first to second syncro. Run it on the highway in top peg 100ks and get on and off the pedal. Check it don't jump out of top gear and all other gears.
Basic GB overhaul is around 2k fitted drive away unless you can do it yourself. Don't fret cause they take a long time to die.
Can also transfer oil from case to case but has cheap mod to rectify.
Diffs are good but can loose teeth from heavy towing.
Front shaft can flog out the spling simple push up and down.
Front brake rotors wear bad but are cheap to buy and pricey to install if you can't do it yourself.
Plenty of spares to be had from OEM to cover the bases.
Go to glassys price guide on carpoint for a GUIDE to the value of the vehicle but sellers always ask more. Its up to you what you will pay once you have a look.
Add some for options like tow bar bull bar air lockers etc etc.
If you find a good one jump on it.
I just went through the process of buying a 75 and found it hard to find a good one but when I did I had to fork out a bit more.
All in all it is a old truck so be prepared to have to spend money on it to fix things.
Keep some up your sleeve.
Or buy a later model with low K's.
When you find the one take it for a good hour run 100k's to help you decide.
Cheers Kev. :) :)

poss
23-04-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks Kev
That gives me a good start.

cHiCo
23-04-2004, 10:02 AM
My old man recently bought a 85 Turbo Diesel Auto GPack Cruiser. I think its a great truck and really has some grunt.Picked it up from an old bloke in Brissy while there on business and he kept it in really good nick. These beauties seem alot stronger than newer model cruisers with all bumpers made of steel compared to the new plastic ones. I really dont know sh#t about cars but i can tell this truck was a great buy and alot of off road trips will be made with ease in it. By the way there is no rust on it.

webby
23-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Hi Poss, mate i have a hj60 4.2 turbo diesel, which has coil suspension fitted, which makes for great road handling and any rough work.
Have had no probs with her.
Cruises on 120k no trubs, and pulls my half cab as if its not there.
They may be old but there built like brick shithouse, and there a lot more reliable then the new computer toy driven ones.
Half the new 4 x 4 these days are only good for bitumen roads.
Buy the diesel one if you can, as i average 600k to a tank.
once had a japenese silva run up my arse and hit the tow bar, totally demolished it.
Regards

bugman
24-04-2004, 04:11 AM
Thank's funny Webby,

Whenever I've been in your truck we've never been over 80km. :-/

Big_Kev
24-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Thats cause he did not want to scare a landy man to death by going to fast.
LOL at Bugman.