tow weight
any inherint problems
any other thoughts
cheers
blaze

Gorilla_in_Manila
27-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Blaze,
Can't help much sorry, but since no one else seems to be knocking you down with replies.....
Dont know them personnally, but heard general rumours rangies aren't real reliable and cost you a bomb to fix. All imported parts and panels.
Then to confirm that, met a bloke that had one about that age at one of the jobs I was on in aus and I asked him what it was like. He said it was good but a few of the other guys that knew him better and longer were saying he had it in the shop a heap of times and was always moaning about the repair bill. Don't know the specifics of what was wrong with it, but seems it was something different each time.
Hope someone else can give you a bit more first hand advice.
Cheers
Jeff

trevcob
27-04-2004, 03:29 PM
My farther had one about that age small v8 had it for about five years few problems with the electrics but every thing else was good.

blaze
27-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the replies, i thought with all the landie lovers i would have had more response
thinking of replacing the L300 4x4 van with one,
want some thing a bit gruntier to tow the boat
Gotta be petrol
I thing the rangie would be better on fuel than the cruiser or patrol wagons
cheers
blaze

bugman
28-04-2004, 04:36 AM
Blaze,

I've never really been around the rangies. New a guy a long time agao who had one of the models you were talking about. The motrs were good but thirsty - pretty reliable. Diffs - you either had a good one or a bad one. Electronics - overall not much chop and most serious guys replaced them.

Hill climb club out at Gatton had a couple - they all held the record for the fastest climb at various stages.

Bugman

Thebuffalo
28-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Blaze, check out this site and post your question. You will get the answer you need. If it was me I would lean towards the sixty series Toyota in the same era, petrol and fuel consumption is going to be pretty much the same. Parts will be easier to source I would think and cheaper.
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/ good luck.

Thebuffalo

blaze
28-04-2004, 02:27 PM
thanks
seem to be a bit of info on that site buffalo, hows the boat comin on
cheers
blaze

jimbamb
29-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Rangies are great for fishng, especially when used as an artificial reef. [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif]

Thebuffalo
29-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Blaze, I have slumped into a depression and have not been near the buffalo for over a week. Next question.

Honestly, arranged to get a canopy made out of stainless today. progressing slowly, but progressing.

Thebuffalo

blaze
29-04-2004, 02:34 PM
hi buffalo
if the boat ever rusted away you could turn ya canapy upside down and use it as lifeboat
not worth getting depressed over
lifes to short
cheers
blaze

peterbo3
11-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Blaze,
An 85 Rangie is nearly 20 years old. Any 4WD that old is gonna have a heap of problems. Even tho you are a diesel mech there is no substitute for low hours.
Up this end of town there are major probs with older Landies that have done beach work cos while the panels are alloy the frame is steel.
Go for a 80 series L/C from out western NSW or Vic. You will recover the airfare & the ferry charge back to Tas in no time.