PDA

View Full Version : need advice

s.tury
09-05-2004, 04:59 AM
i am thinking of getting a 4x4 it would need to be our family car as well as my up the beach or put the back car as well can only afford second hand was thinking of pajero my brother in law has one and seems happy what do you's recon about pajero's or any advise on another thinking of spending $20 000 tops

jimbamb
09-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Only advise I would offer is that when u get out west into the really ruff stuff u only see toyos and nissans.Could be a message there.If ya just lookin for a Toorak Tractor then there are many options

Big_Kev
09-05-2004, 04:32 PM
You should be able to get a very nice imported 60 series diesel with that sort of money.

caveman
09-05-2004, 04:39 PM
go the v6 triton dual cab plenty of power aswell

s.tury
10-05-2004, 01:27 PM
what about room in the back for kids my eldest is 13 and the dual cabs seem small . i'm starting to steer towards a patrol diesal.kev what does a 60 series look like i'm not up with the models ' itake it that it's a nissan?

Big_Kev
10-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Nissans are cheaper to get second hand than the toyotas so you will get a later model for your dollar.But are very reliable though the parts and accessories are more than toyota.
An 80 series can be had for your budget but will have some miles on it.
An imported 60 will have the works and low K's for around 18 for a realy good one. If you live in Bris there are plenty of yards that sell these. After market parts are cheap and an enthusiest following will demand a strong future market.(pick up any 4x4 magazine)
Mitsubishi are very expensive for parts 3x toyota in most cases.And the sale price in the yards will reflect this and there arne't to many old ones around but a good buy can be had.
If you want a Rover make sure you have two kidneys.
You could consider a troopy as they have room to burn and are great value for money and an excelent 4x4. Extra seats in the back for the family and still room for the brats oh sorry kids.
But only come in a two door with barn doors at the back. My old man had one when we grew up didn't worry us.
Only problem is they come in white white and sometimes another colour. Good set of mags helps for this.
Cheers Kev. ;)

Gorilla_in_Manila
10-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Only advise I would offer is that when u get out west into the really ruff stuff u only see toyos and nissans.Could be a message there.

Was going to say exactly the same thing, but saw Jim had already said it.

My olds have been touring all round the country for the last 5 years or so in a 92 patrol with straight 6 diesel (well over 200,000 on the clock and still going strong). You do see some other makes doing it, or trying to do it, but there is usually some nightmare repair bills that come along with the stories of their adventures.

Cheers
Jeff
PS Wouldn't try using a pajero for anything except picking the kids up from school or doing the shopping. Just my opinion. ;)

Needmorerum
10-05-2004, 11:12 PM
For a really bias opinion, I reckon the 80 series Landcruiser is the pick of the bunch. If you don't want high fuel costs then diesel is the only option. 60 series Cruisers are getting old, but because of this there are some around for good prices. I wouldn't be paying anymore than about 15k for a 60, and for that it would want to be immaculate. The 80 (coil sprung) can be had for around the same money, in Poverty Pack, or for around 20k in the earlier GXL's. I would recommend the series 2 or 3 80 which puts them from 9/92 onwards. For around 20k you would be looking at one between '90 and '94. Personally, I prefer the '93 onwards.
If you ring Motorama 4x4xmore (no affiliation, yadda yadda) they generally have a wide range of 80's in there.
You will find that the Cruisers have a touch more refinement than there equivalent in Patrol (GQ), but the Patrol has a stronger drive train. In saying that, I've put mine through hell in the 5 years I've had it and had no problems. It does me for an everyday driver and for the more extreme work we do with it at the 4WD Parks such as Landcruiser Mountain Park.

HTH
Corry

Lucky_Phill
11-05-2004, 05:37 PM
I had a 95 Jackeroo, and it was a great family car and handled the sand with ease. Only trouble was it was a 3.2ltr Petrol. had it been a deisel I probably would still have it.

95 Jackeroo, deisel, SE.

electric everything and seven seater to boot.

Drives like a car. priced from $15k ->

Cheers Phill

s.tury
12-05-2004, 04:36 PM
thanks to all i'm struggling the missus wants one of those modern looking ones ,i spose she drives it more than me but i want one i could get away up the beach and not have much drama with more a serious type we'll have to battle it out [smiley=argue.gif]'but any more help would be great like mileage on deisals what is the limit in your books some say 200 000 and a deisal is just run in? i don't know [smiley=helpa.gif]

Big_Kev
13-05-2004, 02:39 PM
A well cared for deisel will go for a lot longer than 200k.
I have seen the old 2h low comp engines with over 1m on the clock and still doing the job but not to good at that stage.
Imports will have lower service life on the fuel pumps due to the higher sulpher content and lesser quality of the asian fuel.
Turbo engines (supercharging as the Japs call it) also will not last as long as the normaly asperated engines.
The key is regular oil changes along with the oil and fuel filter. Keep the air cleaner clean and a snorkle is a great investment.
This way the diesel will keep on while the rest of the car falls apart around it.
Just another reason the diesel will cost you more to buy.
Cheers Kev. :)

webby
13-05-2004, 03:43 PM
HI, I do work for a Mob called S.V.I., all they do is import vehicle from japan,
Have been doing some 60series cruisers 4.2l turbo diesel this week, and compared to mine, there a totally different machine and they have more acc's then any aust sold ones.
i asked him what prices he'd do one for me, mileage around 80,000 mark which is only run in for a diesel.
He reckon around 15 gees, so if you wanna have a look at one give me a call.
regards

Sportfish_5
13-05-2004, 05:42 PM
I owned a 93 V6 Pajero wagon with all the fruit (auto, moonroof, rear diff lock) and I can honestly tell you that it was a great car to drive on/off the road. Sorry guys but this thing would run rings around the old mans 80 series cruiser in sand and he ended up buying it from me about 4 years ago when I got a 4wd company car #;D

The only problem I ever had was oil consumption due to valve stem seals. I have heard that earlier models had a problem with manual gearbox input shaft bearing failure and rear coil springs were prone to saging.

I have had Prados, Landcruiser 100 GXL since but now drive a ST Patrol with the little 3.0lt t/i 4 banger and it is a ball terror (less rego too #;D)
IMHO the Landcruisers are a great vehicle but when you compare them with the new Patrols I guess it comes down to how much you want a Toyota badge #:-X

As for diesel engine life I agree with Kev, if you look after them do the injectors/pump/turbo at the required intervals then 200k is just beginning. As for these new hi tech diesels (ceramic inserts on pistons etc) I guess time will tell. I used to work for Hastings Deering (Caterpillar Dealer) in the Marine and Truck engine section and some of those 3406/C9 engines did millions of kms by carrying out in-chasis rebuilds at designated intervals.

Cheers

Greg

xxxxhornet
14-05-2004, 01:55 AM
I've got a 93 V6 3lt Pajero - cost me $12,800 and drives like a car, and goes everywhere offroad. And I mean offroad - if you've ever been through Imbil in the wet yo'll know what I mean. My mates Troopy was getting stuck before I was.
If your missus will be driving it you'll win both ways, and the rear seats are forward facing (ie the dicky seats). The sunroof models get a bit of rust around the seal, and the 3lt model has a free spinning timing belt which wont cause damage like the belt on the 3.5 lt. You'll also chew more juice in the auto - a mates got one and it revs right out on the gear changes.
Petrol Vs Diesel. I went petrol cos its about $3000 for a motor replacement compared to about $7000 for a diesel. Just look in the trading post and see how many 4wds made early 90's late 80's have had motor rebuilds.......you do the sums.

Be careful of imports - put it this way - I see them as they come off the ships and they look a lot different to when they are offered for sale. The reason there are so many is that in Japan, they are penalised for having high km's so they flog them off at 50'000kms, and because of that dont change oil, service them etc - I have seen the oil and its blacker than black and gluggy. I've also seen the way they are driven by the wharfies, and have seen one try to get jump started and have a melt down - the bloke shrugged his shoulders and walked away....
There are some good ones, but unless you know someone you trust who can get a good one for you, just be careful.

jono_69
21-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Prado
Toyota reliabilty and Parts supply.
Cruise range larger???