PDA

View Full Version : Landrovers????

Mr__Bean
25-05-2004, 11:55 PM
Having read through a few posts on this site I now wonder what on earth it is that people find attractive about a Landrover Defender.

Yes, Yes, I know this is going to be provocative, but lets keep our cool on this and not fly off the deep end about it.

It is funny, I look at people with bulldogs and wonder to myself - what on earth do see in that dog that is worth patting. I get the same feeling from looking at the Defender, what on earth is it that people see in them.

I understand their proven ability off-road, but I see so many in the city.

Is it their ability to travel slowly?

Is it their ability to have a bumpy ride?

Is it their ability to handle like a 50 seat bus?

Or just because they look like a 1930's rivetted bridge?

Beats me.

- Bean

neptune
26-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Mr Bean, I think you better go for a drive in a new Defender, their not that slow, no speed demon either that's for sure, but never bumpy, in fact they go over corrigations with less vibrations and jarring than my parents series100 land cruiser. I have never found the handling a problem, you can put sway bars on them to make them more rigid, but you can't have it all, the best articulation in the business or the best handling around corners. I just love those rivetted bridges.

jimbamb
26-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Bean,
did you really have to give the landy crew another chance to tell us how good they are??????
Geez we are sick to death hearin all the b/s.
If they were soooooooooo good there would be thousands of em around the bush.The only ones I seen in 2 trips around Aus were in garages gettin fixed or havin new windows fitted to the back of them.
Opps sorry ,seen a few around Toorak Melbourne deliverin the kids to school.I believe they aren't even too good at that!!!!!!
Thats right, seen a few in Darwin but they never left the black stuff either....
SAD REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big_Kev
26-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Fred Flintstone loved em.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-05-2004, 03:06 PM
its a fishing chat board, so yes I'll bite

... I get the same feeling from looking at the Defender, what on earth is it that people see in them.

(a) I understand their proven ability off-road, but I see so many in the city.

(b)Is it their ability to travel slowly?

(c)Is it their ability to have a bumpy ride?

(d)Or just because they look like a 1930's rivetted bridge?

beanie,

(a), (b) & (c) you answered all by yourself (in (a)) - well done !!! ;D

It all amounts to suitablility of purpose. They are well suited to the purpose they are intended for - off road - they make little compromise for city use because that would compromise what they are about. You then hit a philosophical impasse - is it best to do two things only adequately, or one excellently, the other not so well?

(a)You see them in the city - because that's where 90% of the Australian population live & you do too I bet - that's why you saw them in the city - ah logic.

(b)a TDi Defender isn't really slow compared to other diesels. There is also a difference between slow & sedate. Landrover owners have usually selected that vehicle for its longevity & realise sedate acceleration prolongs vehicle life & uses less fuel. They are great offroad & in the soft stuff because of their gearing & underbody setup - that gearing & related equipment impacts on accelerating ability.

(c)no excuses here - 3.5 tonne suspension has its drawbacks - load that vehicle though with up to 9 passenger - twin fuel tanks & a heap of gear & the ride will soften - standard hilux suspension is stiff too.

(d) aluminium panels on steel frames - amazing no one else does it when the beach is the most corrrosive atmosphere around. As long as you rust proof the chasis & frames which is as easy as the body looks after itself.

chris

Big_Kev
26-05-2004, 03:17 PM
One thing that I have noticed over the years is that Landrover owners are extremely passionete about em. And to try and show them something not along this way of thinking is wasting time.

jimbamb
26-05-2004, 04:39 PM
True Real,
Better off headbuttin a wall than trying to change their minds.At least you'll achieve something.A sore head!!!!!

Mr__Bean
27-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Interesting replies.

And I do respect that a certain class of people have an emotional attachment to Landrovers.

I do still hold the "bulldog" view however. If you look at the head of today's bulldog it is the product of much mis-mating.

Its mouth and whole jaw structure is irreversibly buckled, its eyes turn back on themselves, it dribbles and snorts all over the place whist it struggles to breath under load. No fault of its own I might add, just the product of many incestuous mis-mates over the years.

Whilst the basic body of the bulldog remains a solid article the rest is an amalgam of previous masters.

To me, this is the landrover all over.

I suppose it should be considered the "British Bulldog".

(For the record, no I am not in the city. I live in a small country town about an hour NNE of Melbourne)

- Bean

CHRIS_aka_GWH
27-05-2004, 09:07 AM
poor use of analogy Mr Bean. The head of the bulldog is perhaps its best "'engineered feature" - the hip displacure in its body its worst.

What fasinates me & I guess other landrover owners is the desire of the owners of other brands to pay out on them - more often than not without the intimate knowledge of having owned one - usually on the heresay of others.

What sparks this competitive streak in them (the owners of other brands) when the owners of Landies certainly don't start it. Is it part & parcel of the competition in marketing of the japanese brands, that mine has to be better than the other guys - not simply different - & therefore capable of different things.

Landie owners know the drawbacks of their brand - but also know their capabilities.

mackmauler
27-05-2004, 11:09 AM
bean, nothing attractive at all, dont tell me you get a car just so you can bone it :-X ask questions about why people live in canberra and melbourne, nothing attractive about that either ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
27-05-2004, 12:13 PM
ask questions about why people live in canberra and melbourne, ;D

once again rob - suitablility of purpose - no sense being a pale, angry man whilst living amongst tanned laidback peoples.
;D ;D ;D

Big_Kev
27-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Rob, people live in Melbourne Canberra and Sydney for that matter just to prove that it can be done.

Chris I bag em because it is like throwing a ball to a puppy. Being so passionate you guys bite so well.

mackmauler
27-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Drove past your place yesterday Kev, will remember egg for landcruiser next time ;D ;D

Big_Kev
27-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Just as well I get past your place from time to time as well then Rob.

blaze
27-05-2004, 02:50 PM
once upon a time when i had just left school
threw a uncooked egg a x teachers cruiser (busted windsreen)
same day, threw one at truck, broke another bloody windsreen, cost me about $300 for the 2 minutes of fun
moral of story, dont throw eggs a cars or trucks unless ya got lots of money
cheers
blaze

CHRIS_aka_GWH
28-05-2004, 09:38 AM
BUT BLAZE

ya not spoused to use THUNDER EGGS !!!

blaze
28-05-2004, 11:51 AM
ye, the bloody eggs were chook eggs straight outa the carton, costliest dozen eggs i ever bought. they tell me an egg on its end will support a huge weight, i suppose thats how they hit the windscreens. ya tend to learn them lessons the hard way when younger
cheers
blaze
ps if i seen the bloody teacher today, i would throw another dozen

bugman
28-05-2004, 01:14 PM
I actually think my Landy is sorta sexy !!!!

CHRIS_aka_GWH
28-05-2004, 01:25 PM

[smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif][smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif]
well there goes the whole sane, rational Landrover owner thing ....

no wonder you can't wait to get her alone on a deserted beach, eh Brett. #;)

chris

Strike
28-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Talking someone out of a landie is the same as talking someone out of a cruiser. They still get bogged and broke down yet they still drive em :P

Big_Kev
28-05-2004, 02:22 PM

Is that what you landy guys mean when you say your hands are glued to the wheel.
AAAAAWWWWWW yuk.

Mr__Bean
28-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Now I understand the relationship a little better!!!!!

- Bean

Cloud_9
31-05-2004, 02:35 PM
come on now fellers just come out and say it their wankers right. :o :o
na just kiddin .

my Rodeo will do me.

Cheers Cloud 9

landy1
31-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Someone summed it up fairly well, every landy owner is passionate about their vehicle. Did you ever think that there might be something in them after all then. A cruiser is just a cruiser and a patrols just a patrol. Ive never seen people in anoraks memorising build figures for either. You either get it or you dont. Theyre one of the few vehicles out there that people genueinly love. However intangible theres definately a reason.
P.S. I wouldnt call just North of Melbourne a bush perspective. I see heaps of landies up here. As a matter of fact its the hiluxes that are the running joke hereabouts given their propensity to barrel roll as soon as they hit a pothole on a dirt track.

Mr__Bean
31-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Landy,

Fully understood.

I drive a cruiser, but I must admit it has nothing to do with its 4wd capability (or lack of it).

For me being the turbo diesel model, it is the most practical tow vehicle (for a big boat) that is on the current market.

I have had it out on loose sand and in the mud, and on both occasions I wished I was back in my old F150 4wd. The TD cruiser felt heavy and bogged down compared to the F150, and boy that has got to be a mile away from a #benchmark 4wd.

Haven't had it out in rough terrian in the hills, and probably won't for reasons above.

- Bean

Big_Kev
01-06-2004, 02:27 PM
F150,
Can you please tell me what the F stands for, as I would think my interpretation is different to yours.

Passionate is correct Mick, you either love em or hate em I think, but if you love em you should be proud.

landy1
02-06-2004, 10:57 AM
;D

jimbamb
02-06-2004, 05:23 PM
R.H,
Can i guess what u think the F stands for???,
You are certainly talking about a fine Vehicle.....The Ford F 100 or better still the F 150..Better still the new F 250.. I think the numbers get bigger as the vehicle gets to be a bigger heap of S**??????.
If given the choice i would happily take a landy before lowering my principals and taking a f series......
Had the pleasure of towing a F150 complete with caravan out of the first sand pit as you enter the inskip ferry.Did i mention i was driving a 2L Petrol HILUX!!!!!!! Recieved a huge cheer from the local campers as I pulled the whole unit out on the first go...
Keep ya chin up Landy.You've definately not got the worst vehicle on the road>>>>>.

landy1
03-06-2004, 07:29 AM
;D Did you say you drive a rollux, naah thats just to easy :-X

jimbamb
03-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Rollscanardly!!!!!!

littlejim
13-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Thought I might as throw a bit more fuel on the fire. The following quote is from a bloke who was in the British SAS serving in Oman.

“Some owned Toyota Land Cruisers, which were far better at crossing the desert than our Land Rovers.”
'Fighting Scared' – Robin Horsfall ex SAS - Cassell 2002. Commenting on the local Omanis choice in vehicles for the desert.

On your first visit to the NT you get the impression the whole state is an advertisement for Toyota.

nisrol
13-08-2004, 02:33 PM
landrovers / british bulldogs ?
does that mean the owners of them look like british bulldogs or that the things ride so ruff the buyers save money on the gym courses owning a natural massauger
but of course we all like to buy AUSTRALIAN ( or do we ?)
ford mavrick owner
8) 8) :P

CHRIS_aka_GWH
17-08-2004, 01:33 PM
“Some owned Toyota Land Cruisers, which were far better at crossing the desert than our Land Rovers.”
'Fighting Scared' – Robin Horsfall ex SAS - Cassell 2002.

[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

oh please .....

one guy called (tee hee) [s]Wobin oops .. errr Robin who wrote a book about being SCARED [smiley=wreck.gif] is Toyota's best reference.

my turn to stir the pot,

chris
*Landrover Owner
*Never been stationary at a beach exit.

nisrol
20-08-2004, 07:43 PM
hey chris
you recon that you can stir the pot well beat the one .
the new landrovers they call them a discovery huh , thats cause they discoverd a welder under a bench in the workshop and then found one of there employees knew how to operate one
ROTFLMFAO [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]