PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Patrol Info required

megafish71
14-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Looking at buying a second hand Nissan Patrol and require some feed back on models from 1998 to date. Perferably in the 4.2 ltr Turbo diesel range. Will be using it for off road and boat towing. Boat weighs approx. 1.8 tonne tops.

Thanks in advance
Ron

Daintreeboy
15-07-2004, 02:09 PM
From 98 onwards we had the latest model, the GU. Only recently has the TD42 engine become intercooled giving only a rise in Torque, not power which remains at 114 KW. I've got the base spec DX and it suits me fine as I like camping and the Vinyl finish is easier to clean. The ST is a great setup and I reckon these cars have enough power to do the job and will last forever.
Exactly what sort of info are you chasing?
Cheers, Mark.
You could try this link to ask the experts.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Patrol4WD/

Big_Kev
15-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Go for it, the patrols are top vehicles.
I wore out several at work fully loaded with gear, and would flog the guts out of them all day evrey day and not one of them ever died.
We use to screw the fuel up and almost get them off the clock running the western highways.
It is my opinion that the driveline is better than the Toyotas.
Cheers Kev.(I can't beleive I said that about the Cruisers, I will have to go to confession)

Daintreeboy
15-07-2004, 03:41 PM
I'll second that, the driveline is better than that of the cruisers, even cruiser drivers have to admit that.
:P

megafish71
16-07-2004, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the info guys, Mark was just trying to find out if these patrols have any common faults and things to look out for. And Kev just like you have allways been a cruiser man too, just can't justify the extra 6 to 10 grand that is being asked for cruisers of the same standard and usually with a lot more kays on the clock.
Cheers Ron
anymore info will be great

bruce4x4
16-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Yea bite the bullet get a cruiser,and after. U will think u are a [smiley=angel.gif] and gone to cruiser heaven [smiley=laola.gif] ;D ;D

Big_Kev
16-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Ron the Patrols and in particular the new model wide bodies utes, are so much more of a pleasure to drive than the Tojo's (meaning the 70 series ute's). It makes the Tojo seem almost tractor like.
But for a tough no bullshit work vehicle the Cruiser does stand up to a lot more punishment.
I have it on good autority from the manager of a fleet of 600 4X4 Toyota and Nissan utes that the Nissans don't stand up to the punishment like the Toyota.
As for the broke cocky wagons,I cannot speak, apart from hear say.
But for me people will always pay more for Toyota, and the resale will be better for the simple reason that they are recognised to set the market standards.
Cheers Kev.

megafish71
17-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Took your advise Kev, Just bought a 80 series Cruiser. Will post some details when we pick it up.

caveman
18-07-2004, 03:28 PM
what is he fuel economy like in 2002 4.2lt diesel patrol utes

i.e. how many K's to the litre

Daintreeboy
20-07-2004, 01:02 PM
The resale value is not that good. You onlt get more because you paid more at the start. Percentage wise, they are the same if not worse than Patrols so it's not something that should be used when considering which one to buy.
Caveman I have a late 99 ute with a 2 m wide tray so only get around 17 L/100 km (with boat racks too) city driving, around 15 highway runs.
Cheers, Mark.

caveman
20-07-2004, 04:05 PM
mark can you put that the other way round, kms to the litre my brain just cant compute at the moment

Big_Kev
20-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Gary 10ltr per 100 km is 30mpg. or 10 km ltr is 30 mpg.

pbright
21-07-2004, 02:25 PM
I just purchased a 2001 GU 3 litre intercooled diesel. It is fantastic. LOTS of grut and power -much more than the 4.2. I tow a 2 tonne caravan with a boat on the roof rack - 9 1/2 outboard on the roo bar - 160 litres of fuel and water on top. Cra has no problems as yet. The Togos do have a diff lock which is excellent in soft sand. My only has a limited slip diff. We could not afford the Togo - Ours cost $38 000 and has 30000kms. I personnally spoke to the owner before buying it. Excellent condition for a 2001 vehical. I would recommend it. I don't know about the auto but others who have them highly regard them for their towing ability. Regardless, I purchased the manual to be on the safe side.

nisrol
25-08-2004, 06:17 PM
ron
the patrol is the way to go just picked mine up and am more than happy with it , : but if you are buying a second hand one make sure you go over it before taking delivery went over mine this afternoon and don't know how the hell it passed mate make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb if not buying it new

cheers andy
P.S the patrols have the strongest driveline of all the 4by's

PG
06-09-2004, 04:17 AM
Driveline? Are you guys referring to the gearbox/transfercase/diff etc?. I'm new to 4WD lingo and in the market for a large 4WD such as a Nissaan Patrol or 80 series Cruiser so wanting to know as much as I can before I buy.

Daintreeboy
07-09-2004, 03:44 PM
yep