PDA

View Full Version : What GPS for 4x4 driving.

Heath
07-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Another question ;D

For those that have a GPS in their 4x4's, which one have you got?

Am looking at the Garmin Etrex, but it doesn't allow for an ext antenna & am wondering how it performs just sitting on the dash.

SeaHunt
08-09-2004, 01:49 PM
They work just fine sitting on the dash, Heath.
Only problem is they fall off the dash.
I got a Magellan Meridian Marine hand held , I use it it the boat and 4b.
It has got basic mapping which includes all the major roads in Australia on it as well as all the Permanent Nav beacons.
So if I am in the scrub I can just zoom out until I can see a major road and I can see what direction and how far away it is. If it is turned on from the get go , it draws a line so you can retrace your path exactly ( well to within 3 metres anyway).
Works fine on the dash , but I probably should get the Cradle attachment thingy to stop it falling off. ::)

Jack_Lives_Here
09-09-2004, 01:38 PM
I got a Garmin GPS III that I swap between the boat and the car. Had it 5 years now. Runs on AA batteries and 12v. It has a little stub antenna and the screen can be viewed vertical or horizontal. Works fine through the glass. I put a strip of velco on the bottom and attach to dash mat - has never fallen off.

blaze
09-09-2004, 03:16 PM
hi heath
i have a merridan platium it comes with base maps of aust, can download/upload to computer. I also got a cig lighter adaptor. when in the boat or car it sits in a mobile telephone holder
happy with it
cheers
blaze