PDA

View Full Version : Cheap tow vehicle

cheno
08-09-2004, 10:31 AM
okay so i know i should have never sold my 2.8tdi pajero :'( but now i need to get myself another 4x4 that will be primarily used on weekends for fishing and going up the beach etc.

It doesnt have to be pretty but must be relaible and cheap to run i.e. i really dont want to spend my weekends faffing around with the car - just fishing !! The boat it has to tow is 455cc polycraft so it does not have to be a huge 4x4. I would prefer a diesel of some sort if it is in good nick.

budget is only around 10K. I'm open to any suggestions fellas as I don't know what i can get for that sorta money.

cheno

Gorilla_in_Manila
08-09-2004, 10:54 AM
;)
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedCarID=311948&TabID=200372&Alias=carpointau
Cheers
Jeff

cheno
08-09-2004, 11:32 AM
diesel or petrol ?

Gorilla_in_Manila
08-09-2004, 11:44 AM
No idea mate. Call them up and ask them if you're interested.
Just trying to help you out and did a quick carpoint search.
My guess is it will be petrol with the auto and since it wasn't specifically mentioned.

Gives you an idea what you can get for 10K though.
Old straight 6 diesel Patrol would be the go I reckon.
Don't think you will get an old cruiser in reasonable nick for that sort of money.
Cheers
Jeff

cheno
08-09-2004, 12:56 PM
cheers jeff i thought it was yours mate

Big_Kev
08-09-2004, 01:54 PM
An old cruiser 85 model will be able to be had for that sort of money in a diesel. Thats about what I paid for mine with change for a set of wide tyres.
It is cheap to run and they hold value. It is no speed machine but has a ton of low down grunt for towing.
You will have to hunt around a bit to get a good one but, it took a couple of months for me to find mine. A lot of them have tin ants from the beach or are just plain overpriced.
Cheers Kev.

cheno
08-09-2004, 02:14 PM
kev is yours a ute ? turbo ?

Big_Kev
08-09-2004, 02:32 PM
No Turbo Cheno.
Normaly asperated 2H diesel. Turbo's came out in the 90's standard on australia utes when the engine was upgrade to the 1hz motor and the Turbo model has a t in the prefix.
You will pay a lot more for one of these utes. Around 15k for a half decent one.
The 2H is a strong performer and will return a fantastic service life, but are known to be a slow engine and I can only realy get 110 on the freeway. The 1hz has a lot better performance characteristics but does not return the service life for the obvious performance reasons.
A conversion to a 4.2 holden V8 is popular choice for more power
and is cheaper on fuel than the petrol Toyota 6 and has better power. One of these may be found if you look.
There are plenty of 45 series cruisers in the trading post and they will also make an excelent tow truck with a miriad of engine swaps. Some very good examples will be found under the 10K mark and some even have Gas conversion. Check for ants but many have fibre glass panels.
Cheers Kev.

cheno
08-09-2004, 02:57 PM
what sort of economy do you get kev?

Big_Kev
08-09-2004, 04:40 PM
I get 13ltrs to the 100km which is all general purpose use, towing boat, taking rubbish to tip, running around town and up the highway.

FLATHEAD1
10-09-2004, 06:22 AM
cheno

I recently picked up a 1988 nissan safari (jap import patrol) 4.2l diesel 125ks to tow my polycraft for $9,000.

Had to fit towbar and some very minor mechanical problems but has been very reliable.

Good tow vehicle. Hardly know the boat is on. 11lL/100k. Sit on 100k on the highway no dramas. They don't die when you come to a hill like the toyos.

Drawback is lack of rear visability due to spare tyre, barn doors and cargo barrier.

I reckon the GQ patrol is the best option for under 10k.

Cheers
Flathead1

cheno
10-09-2004, 07:36 AM
so is that a long wheel base model flathead?

by the way did you have some pics of your poly up on fishnet a while back? They dont show up anymore. I'd be keen to see a pic of those bait tanks that you have mounted on the transom.

cheno

FLATHEAD1
10-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Cheno

Yeh long wheel base and high roof.

That was Bay-Firey I think that had the bait tanks on the transom.

Cheers
FLATHEAD1