PDA

View Full Version : to turbo or not

VennusWhaler
27-08-2004, 02:31 PM
g'day ausfish members,
I have just recently brought new 5.3 plate ally and the old girl dont like to tow the new vessel. [the old girl is a 2.8 diesel hilux and can sniff those hills a mile away.] I am currently thinking of attaching a turbo, to get a little bit more. Can anyone tell me if they have done this or know of someone who has? Is it worth putting one on? [smiley=help.gif] chris

Payneful
27-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Chris

how many k's are on the clock?

Sam

VennusWhaler
28-08-2004, 11:03 AM
its got 180 on the clock

mulletguts
28-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Tony Motson has a good name here in the Brisbane area. Turbocharging does shorten engine life but if you were to run relatively low boost pressure 6-10psi it wouldn't drastically shorten the life and would give you a noticable gain in power. I'm unsure of the compression ratio of the hilux engine you need to use a decompression plate to achieve the right compression ratio. However someone like motson's will have already done several and know what works and what doesnt. Good Luck

VennusWhaler
29-08-2004, 11:21 AM
thanks guts, i'll have a chat to tony motson's and hear what he has to say ;)

jimbamb
29-08-2004, 12:19 PM
most people who install turbos dont like any more than 100K on the clock.wont guarantee them on older motors.

GiddyUp
09-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Vennus...I turbo'd my 2.8 Hilux about 2 years ago with 180000 on the clock...I picked up a turbo off a diesel pajero from a mate, built a manifold and oil feed then off to the exhaust shop...all up $80..The extra torqe up hills and towing is great. It gets 12 pound of boost

Fishin_Dan
10-09-2004, 05:01 AM
I've heard different people say many different things about turbo-ing, but am curious what people think here....

What is the maximum boost you can run before you start shortening the life of your motor?

I'm currently only running about 6 pund, but more is always better!!! ;D

jimbamb
22-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Id be gettin nervious if ya blowin over 7 lbs.More is better if ya are drag racin.They rebuild there motors after each run.not very practible in the runabout ute.Thats why ya need wastegates.
Ask the experts at a turbo shop.dont take my word for it.