PDA

View Full Version : Toyota diesels... What are they really like?

adamleah
10-04-2004, 02:39 PM
My old man is looking at purchasing a 1997 - 2000 hilux..

He has noticed that a lot of low mileage diesel hiluxes are being advertised that they have new engines in them...

Are the 2.8 & 3litre motors in these notorious for blowing up before 200 000 kms?

If so ... why...

If not .... Why are so many getting replaced early...?

banshee
10-04-2004, 03:39 PM
G'day Adam,the 2.8 was considered a little weaker than the 2.4 becuase they were basicly a bored out 2.4,that is why Toyota didn't turbo them ex factory.they also had a problem droping the back cylinder due to thick oil.I know three people with 250k plus 2.8's they have had no dramas at all,the reason for this is simple,NEW filter and NEW oil every 5k no ifs no buts.I do find it interesting that the Japs don't use the 2.8 in Japan, they opt instead to fit turbo 2.4's in every thing.The hilux is a great vehicle their only downfall is the agricultural ride.

Sportfish_5
10-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Banshee has it right there. Dont try and extend the oil change interval and check you air filter regularly. Did my apprenticeship as a Diesel Fitter and we had these as our field service trucks from 1988 onwards. Ride OK when you have some weight in the back and despite what some people say they are a pretty tough little truck #;)

Cheers

Greg

Gorilla_in_Manila
11-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Adam,
Yeah like the guys said. Drove one when I first stared working in aus that had 300,000 offroad km (built transmission lines for a job) on the clock, and still going ok. Regular maintenance by our onsite mechanic though, and good oil used, and filters always changed. Threw a big end bearing about the 350,000km mark though. Still, pretty good run.
Think the other main mistake people make with them is they tow heavy stuff. Little motors just aren't designed for it and they will soon screw up. Occassionally towing a little tinnie or light box trailer ok, but if your looking at caravans or larger boats, your asking for trouble. In that case youd be better off with one of the old straight 6 cylinder diesels in the patrols or older cruisers.
Best thing I found for improving the ride of a hilux, was to buy a land cruiser. ;D
No seriously, weight in the back helps for ride and back end grip, after market suspension even better but fat tyres is probably the real clincher in making it a better ride. Will never be A1 though.
Cheers
Jeff

Big_Kev
13-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Adds Sci Fleet had some great deals on new 2003 model V6 duel cabs 33K drive away with air.
Might be worth looking into.
Cheers Kev.

Kerry
13-04-2004, 01:53 PM
(built transmission lines for a job)

Jeff, Who with?

Cheers, Kerry.

basserman
15-04-2004, 08:48 AM
well i own a great little 3liter 5l desile hilux cab chassie and apart from wanting more power (but who dosn't) it is a gtreat pulling machine that is VERY relabile and gets me into everywhere i have wanted ;D
pull the southwind up the highway with little problems apart from being alittle slow ;D

bugman
16-04-2004, 05:13 AM
I just can't help myself I've been trying to hold off for weeks but I can't let it go on.

In answer to the above topic "Toyota diesels... What are they really like?"

Not as good as Landies ;D ;D ;D

I kill myself I really do.

Bugman

DoubleD
23-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Hi, ;)

I have two mates that have just sold their 2.8 deisels
and updated to 3.0. They are very happy with the new Hilux's
and have NEVER had and trouble with the engines in either.
I think the trick is the 5K oil changes without fail, if the boys were going on a trip up north and needed too, they would change it on the way.

There a good 4wd

Daniel

jimbamb
28-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Read with interest .
I had a 2.8 forerunner for 8 years.
Changed oil evrery 10K with new filter.using Rimula X.
Towed a 17 ft van around Aus 2 times.40k fitrst time 28k second.
Never used a drop of oil and never put a spanner on it.
Been a lot of places it was really tough goin.
The only thing i never did was exceed 4000 rpm.
Sold it with 350000km on clock an the bloke who bought it is still grinnin.
Interesting aint it?????????

ANYFISH
28-04-2004, 02:09 PM
gday mate
i have got an '88 2.8l deisel hilux. bloody tough ute. every where i go i thrash it and it still keeps going. it has 240,000klms on the clock. i gotta agree with the 5,000klm oil and filter change. only done a few bearings in the gearbox and one in the diff. both times i had to drive it about 100 kays home and it made it both times. if your not after a ute with the speed of a V8 supercar a hilux is the way to go.

chesscrazy1964
06-05-2004, 01:09 PM
bulletproof, i can't kill mine
cheers

Breamreeper
17-09-2004, 08:32 AM
8) Gota 99 model 3litre. Oils change every 5 as said. Got 145 before timing belt. Never been stopped, Stockton, Fraser, Manning Point, Big and Little Gibber, Seal Rocks and so on. Best and most reliable 4by Ive had and that includes a 97 80 series that I traded on this car. I am off to Fraser on the 29th and will fill the ute up with 4x for the highway trip and ride.

nomad
17-09-2004, 11:55 AM
A problem with the late model Hilux is the independant front suspension. The boys here in Victoria who like to go everywhere and anywhere hate the things. The suspension does not give the travel that the leaf springs give.They are always getting hung up. Look how many are for sale in the Victorian Trading Post. Peaple are heading for the Landcruisers now.

Glug
18-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Independant front suspension (IDF) is only a problem off road and a big one but even the latest cruisers have gone IDF. Diesel Hilux is ok if you keep up services and you don't have asthma or you kids don't, :-[some people with asthma have problems running diesels others it doesn't seem to bother. ;D

nisrol
18-09-2004, 10:13 AM
hey bugman
still recon they don't hold up to the patrols [smiley=laola.gif]
so as you can see i [smiley=smitten.gif]my patrol / maverick ::)

nomad
18-09-2004, 03:31 PM
What the hell are you talking about Glug ? What has asthma got to do with diesels ?????????????? :-X

Glug
18-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Diesel fumes when burnt trigger asthma attacks in some people, if your unlucky enough to be one of those people you would want to stay away from them as much as possible. obviously your not so be happy about it.

Glug
18-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Nomad, just one web page for you on asthma and diesel, there is millions more out there. The guy asked for info he just got a bit more. I think safety info is just as relevent as what breaks.

If it is not clickable copy and paste.
www.swisstox.net/en/ news_e.php?st_lang_key=en&st_news_id=897

PG
18-09-2004, 07:17 PM
If I could go off on a small tangent here.....I'm seriously looking at an 80 series Landcruiser GXL 1990 model in diesel. It's done 241000 Km . Any comments on fuel consumption for around town, travelling and towing a tinnie would be very much appreciated. A mate at work has said his is great but is very strict on 5,000Km change of oil and filter with fuel and air filters every 10,000Km

Payneful
19-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Paul

From what i have heard the 80 series 4.2's are good for about 400,000 km as long as they have been serviced regularly and on time. As far as fuel economy goes they are a little better than the equilivant Nissans in my experience.

Normal driving around town i get around 14L/100km or 7.1 km/L and its pretty much the same on the highway. Towing the boat i get around 16-17L/100km or 6.3-5.9 km/L. The stock standard ones are a little better from what I have heard. Mine has had a aftermarket turbo fitted. It also weighs a bit more because it has been chopped up, chassi extended (800mm) and turned into a ute.

Cheers

Sam.

hotsy
03-10-2004, 05:34 AM
Paul, re the 80 series cruisers, they are a great truck. I have a 93 model poverty pack, which I fitted with snorkel and genie extractors. The extractors give the benefit of about half a gear and was very noticeable, the snorkel keeps plenty of fresh air blowing in. I always do the oil at 5k and filters at 10k which seems to keep it running well. It is no speed machine off the mark but on the highway will keep up with most, just keep the revs up on approaching a steep climb. I get about 9.5 - 10 klm/l on a highway trip and that is towing an off road camper, drops down to about 7klm/l when off road or towing the boat, 18 foot glass - very heavy! I did a trip up the centre a few years ago accompanied by another 93 diesel and a 97-8 petrol. The petrol is a real gas guzzler compared to the diesel, although a lot quicker off the mark, but.. having rreached an age when running costs and not wanting to beat everything away from the lights have an impact - who cares? Unfortunately with fuel costs at the moment the diesel costs a bit more to fill up, but overall a great vehicle, plenty of room and reliable.
hotsy [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Fisheasy
05-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Purchased a 1990 2.8L diesel Hilux brand new and sold it 10 years and 280,000km later. Oil change every 5,000km - no problems whatsoever, just a bit slow, especially towing.... uphill!!! Otherwise, bloody great vehicle! :D
Purchased the turbo diesel Prado in 2000 - love it! ;)