PDA

View Full Version : Imformation on prices for 12volt set up

greg30
10-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Does any one know what it cost to set 12volt system for a pajero mainly to run fridges thanks guys greg30

MTpockets
10-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi Greg,
Below is a copy of a post I put up on our Surf forum. Hope it helps :)

Hi Guys,
Well I had to add a power supply to the back of my truck to run the fridge as the factory setup was not coping. I found out that because my duel battery setup was inline, my lesuire battery was just another crank battery and was actually stuffed. The main battery was ok. I bought 2 new batteries which gave me my original start battery for a spare or 3rd battery. I bought a 15 plate 520 crank Besco battery for $ 89 and then bought a deep cycle century N70 (70 ampre hours) for my lesuire battery. I disconnected the second lead and rejoined it so I retained the link from the main battery to the fuse box. That left my lesuire battery isolated all on its own. I then fitted an auto battery switch to allow both batteries to be charged. Once the main battery charges up to 13.7 volts, the second battery then gets charged as well. The switch cuts in at 12.8 volts. So both batteries will always be charged.

I ran a twin 6mm core wire to the rear and installed 2 cig lighter sockets to the drivers side removable panel in the rear. That way while my fridge is running I can still use the spare to run compresser and or fluro light.
This setup is linked to a 15 amp manual circuit breaker beside the lesuire battery. If I have a problem, I can then fix it and reset the circuit beaker myself.
TIP..... never buy auto reset circuit breakers cos if you do have a fault (burned out wire) it will keep setting it and may cause a fire. Manual CB's allow you to fix problem before resetting.
I also setup my spotlights from my bullbar and wired them through a 40 amp relay with a switch on the dash as well as going through another manual circuit breaker.
I reconected the UHF so all non standard wiring now goes through the lesuire battery. All up it took me about 7 hours with my mates help.
Very happy with the setup and well worth the time and money to do.

cheers
Les

PS for those who want great cheap batteries, in brisbane, check out Battery World. They sold me the 15 plate Besco for $89 with 2yr warranty, and the Century deep cycle was $125 with 2 yr warranty. The auto battery isolator is made by Motson and is also from Battery World for $115. Damn good value that

Lucky_Phill
11-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Yes Les ideal system.

Just about to install similar system in the Nissan.

Auto isolator, can get for around $200. I am running 1 x deep cycle and 1 x N70ZZ.

just using the ' leisure' ( good name ) for Weaco in back, fluro's and 2 x ciggie sockets for air pump, h/held spots, air bed inflator, mob ph charger etc etc.

never thought about circuit breakers. mmmmmmm

Phill

MTpockets
11-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Just another tip Phill if using rear outlet for a fridge. Go to Super Cheap and buy a 2 pole connector, rather than a cig lighter connector as they tend to force the plug out and ya fridge goes off. The 2pole type locks in and wont pop the connector. :)
cheers
Les

Lucky_Phill
13-10-2004, 11:34 AM
TX

Phill