PDA

View Full Version : Toyota or Nissan? Desiel or Petrol?Duel fuel?

Aaron_Fogarty
25-10-2004, 09:08 AM
A mate phoned me and asked me what 2nd hand 4x4 he should buy. His budget is 20 to 30 grand so I told him Id consolt my new wealth of knowledge, the boys at Ausfish.
He wants to tow a medium sized boat and do a bit of recreational 4 wheel driving ....pros and cons of the nissans and toyotas...waddiya recon?
regards Aaron

bruce4x4
25-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Only one choice really TOYOTA / DIESEL. ;D

For that sort of money he should be able to pick up
a good 80/series.

Roofrack,Bullbar,Uhf,Toebar,Wide Wheels, oops forgot its not my money ;D ;D ;D

Big_Kev
25-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Your mate will be able to get more car for his money and later model if he goes for the Nissan. 97/98 for that sort of cabbage.
He is best to go for a 4.2 diesel for the towing(might go a bit high in the dollars but)
They still return very good fuel figures around town and have heaps of low down grunt for the tough stuff. 12ltrs/100.
The 2.8 turbo deisel are a very good option as well but don't produce the torque of the 4.2. Will tow medium boat easy.
Some say the 3ltr 4cyl turbo diesel are good but I don't like them in a big wagon.
The petrols are very good on fuel (they love the stuff).LOL. But produce the power if the weekly miles are not over the top. Easy to pick up one of them for the right price with lots of fruit.
Springwood Nissan advertise on the back page of the trading post weekly and if you talk with a saleman he will keep an eye open for what he wants, it will only be a matter of time.
Hope my two bobs worth helps.
Cheers Kev. 8)

Aaron_Fogarty
25-10-2004, 02:32 PM
thanks bruce and Kev the replies are appreciated,
How do those smaller desiels Tow on the highway do they run a little hotter?are you labouring to climb hills ?My 4.2D toyotas temp doesnt change even on a hot day although without a turbo she slows up hills.
Any Ideas
Regards Aaron

nisrol
25-10-2004, 04:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A mate phoned me and asked me what 2nd hand 4x4 he should buy. His budget is 20 to 30 grand so I told him Id consolt my new wealth of knowledge, the boys at Ausfish.
He wants to tow a medium sized boat and do a bit of recreational 4 wheel driving ....pros and cons of the nissans and toyotas...waddiya recon?
regards Aaron

can tell you aaron compaired to the TOYOTA the PATROL is basically bullet proof my sujestion is that he look for a td42 turbo diesel in the gq or gu series
cheers andy

Big_Kev
25-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Blower will always get up the hills better Aaron.

Aaron_Fogarty
26-10-2004, 06:13 AM
Andy
Why do you rate the patrol so highly...? And whats the difference between the the ST the TI and the GU? having no experience with Patrols I dont know them that well.
Cheers Aaron

Payneful
26-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Go the Diesel Cruiser ... much better built car and better on the fuel. :D

dingodean69
26-10-2004, 04:08 PM
i'll have some of that as well " go the turbo diesel cruiser " the auto's are all good to ;D

Sportfish_5
26-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Ive had both as company cars so I am not emotionally attached to either brand. Would have to say the cruiser was nice but it was a gas guzzling pig in its petrol form and if I was paying for the petrol it used I would have been crying.
Currently have an ST patrol 3.0 td (done 76,000kms in 15 months) and would say it is easily on par with the GXL. Fuel economy from the little 4 is great (avg 10l per 100 kms and it is no slouch on the pedal and tows the boat really well. Only downside is there is no factory cruise control from Nissan for long trips but there are aftermarket system fitted by dealers.

Either one is not really a bad option. Patrol driveline is bulletproof and it has better approach and departure angles compared to the old GXL. If I was buying I would go the Patrol as its is nice to drive, the little 3.0lt 4 cyl is a power house (4 cyl rego costs as well) but maybe resale on the Cruiser will be higher (not sure now though)

My advice is don't overlook the Nissan. Cruisers are great and I am not saying they are over-rated but these new Patrols are very nice.

Cheers

Greg

Aaron_Fogarty
27-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Great advice greg
Thats the info Im after and if your towing that 5.8 sportfish with it its obviously doing the job. Well your Plateboat taste is on the money so the 4x4 advice cant be to far off
Thanks mate
Aaron

Payneful
31-10-2004, 08:01 AM
I will be interested how long the nissan 3L turbo diesels last. They are getting a lot of power out of a little engine. A couple of years will soon tell how long they really last.

notts_so
31-10-2004, 10:21 AM
ITs just ya mate no family medium boat why go and get a pig.Tell him from me to go get a 3lt hilux ute and he wont regret it I drive a cruiser at work and the hilux at home and the cruisers a peice of #!*& compared to the 3lt there heavy slow and petrol hungry pigs . Ive tow my boat loaded with gear in the back from townsville to cairns and still got the ovataking power and the fuel consuption does not change much at all with the cruiser i put 1 ton in the back and it sculls the fuel.with the patrol i dont no and dont care,.There both deisel

dingodean69
31-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Thats why ya buy a tdi cruiser. 10L/100k with boat and eight people ;D