PDA

View Full Version : Light blue smoke

Wild_cat
25-10-2004, 07:06 PM
For the Cruiser people Two Questions

1/ The GLX 93 L'Cruiser wagon I have will blow light blue smoke on start up and idle. It has 240+K on the clock and doesn't use very much oil at all.

I'm thinking the rings may be the problem but the oil pressure guage reads very high. Or is it more likely a fuel problem

Any hints?

2/ Fuel usage question as well, I read about improving fuel usage with extractors,exhaust and improved breathing(?) abilities, does this relate to the Cruiser I have if so is it worth it?

Thanks John

Payneful
26-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Petrol I am assuming ... I suppose the engine is starting to get a little tired. Wouldn't worry about it too much. As far as fuel usage goes, you will usually better your economy by letting it breathe easier, however not to sure how much you will save and if it will pay itself off. As my old man always says ... if it ain't broke ... don't fix it ....

Best way to save fuel is be a little lighter on the foot..

Sam

jimbamb
27-10-2004, 11:40 AM
My guess is valve stem seals.Nothin to worry about untill it gets really bad.

Wild_cat
27-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey thanks fellas I was concern it might be leading to somthing serious.

Cheers John :-*

Justme
28-10-2004, 03:37 PM
If it is a diesel it may need new glow plugs

propdinger
28-10-2004, 03:59 PM
extractors and a bigger exhaust would make it go quicker but i doubt save fuel

jimnbob
28-10-2004, 04:13 PM
LBJ

How in the ??? do faulty glow plugs produce blue smoke? They are there to produce a very small hot spot to start the combustion process when cold and the inital compression does not reach auto detonation temperatures. If yer glow plugs a faulty, you'll have difficulty cold starting.

Assuming the tojo is diesel, blue smoke is more likely to be valve stem guides leaking past which allows oil to drain to top of piston arter stopping and at idle. Once rpm increase, the SMALL amount of oil passing is burnt innediately and is diluted in the large exhaust volume.

Wild_cat, as the seals leak more, oil usage will increase and smoke will increase if it is general degradation. It could be the 1 seal only has failed and hence the low oil usage.

Jim (& deckie Bob)

Wild_cat
29-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Jim it is a petrol powered vehicle. What would should I be expecting/inspecting and more importantly what should I be doing??

If it is a valve stem seal I just wait till it gets really bad (oil loss) then replace the all the seals?

Cheers John

jimbamb
30-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Wildcat,
If it was mine i wouldnt worry about it as jim an bob said its probably only one broken seal(like an O ring on the valve stem)
more of an annoyance than anything else. just watch occasionally to see if is gettin worse.

Big_Kev
30-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Change the valve stem seals. #:) Will more than likely fix it for a little while.
But it is obviously doing it because the engine is getting tired.

Justme
03-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Jim
As glow plugs age they don't reach the correct temp to make combustion complete on start up.
I am speaking from experience.
Just change em and see the difference.

jimnbob
03-11-2004, 04:15 PM
LBJ

Accept your point, however how do you then explain the blue smoke at idle? I think it comes back to oil getting into combustion zone in the low engine rpm speeds.

Jim