PDA

View Full Version : Pro Ma oil and fuel additives?

Dug
05-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Does anyone have the "Good Oil" on Pro Ma oil and fuel additives?

I used them in my old truck as it had a rattle in the engine at cruising speed that the oil additive quietened down.

That was at 40,000k I ran the truck a Toyota Hi Lux Petrol 2.2 LT untill I sold it at 330,000k the motor was still going strong.

I ran the oil additive most of the time and dumped the fuel additive in if I was off on a long trip.

I was just wondering if anyone else had used the products they seem like snake oil but worked OK, I think.

Cheers doug

Rowdy_2002
06-11-2004, 09:00 AM
I am not a fan of oil additives. It is best to start with a good oil in the first place. I used to have a bit to do with the old Frantz Filters. They filtered out the smallest of particles from oil therefore extending the life. It is usually the various deposits and condensation that contaminates the oil and changes its properties. The old Frantz filters filtered particles down to a micron as well as removing condensation from the oil.
I have seen diesel engines that have been running the same oil in them for over 500,000 kms without changing it. Tests on the oil by castrol confirmed that it was still fit for use.
This probably sounds like a sales pitch but I saw first hand how good they were. There are a lot of truckies out there that swear by them......

bruce4x4
06-11-2004, 01:01 PM
G'day Rowdy, Were would 1 find the frantz filters and how much? 8)

Rowdy_2002
07-11-2004, 06:43 AM
Gday Bruce
I am not sure if they are still around, but the franchise in Australia was owned by a Mackay Syndicate last I knew. They were making the bigger filters in Mackay under licence and the ones suitable for Cars (Petrol Engines) were imported directly from the States by them. They were available through Mackay Spare Parts last I knew.

If you are interested I have a couple of them that are still in their original boxes to suit diesels. PM me and I can give you more info and a cheap deal.

Dug
07-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Am I wrong or did Franz make a toilet roll filter?

One you just replaced the filter paper with a new roll of toilet paper every so often.

bruce4x4
08-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Hey Rowdy, Check your pm's.

NQCairns
09-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Dug i have been using the promar oil additive for years, it is the ducks guts!! Nothing wears out with this stuff, I even tested the grease on the 4wd's swivel hubs after a complete ovehaul. Promar one side and a quality name brand the other 4 years ago. The name brand has needed more grease added than the promar side also the name brand side (the best side for wear - drivers) has needed re shiming once since due to the bearings wearing in, the promar side is still within specs. I dont sell the stuff nor see any money from the stuff and very highly recommend it.
The physical science is sound with this gear. I have been using it almost exclusivly for 17 years!! Stay well away from wet clutches with it. nq

dingodean69
09-11-2004, 07:10 PM
gday fellas
i've been using franz filters for the last 10 years. got 5 of them, there good stuff. i know a bloke who sells and fits them in the beenleigh area. pm me if would like his number.
dean

Rowdy_2002
10-11-2004, 03:19 AM
The Frantz filter has evolved and these days the ones they make use what is effectively a longer toilet roll packed into a cannister. The toilet rolls today are not really wound tight enough to work in a filter. It will work in an emergeny situation as a stop gap but does not provide the ultra fine filtration of a genuine filter element.

Rowdy_2002
10-11-2004, 03:22 AM
If anyone out there wants a Frantz to suit a diesel I have a couple of unused units going for a song.......
Also have a few miscellaneous fittings used in the installation of them. Going Cheap....

Anyone interested PM me

leuca
20-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi Rowdy
Would appreciate a PM with price etc for a Frantz bypass filter that you have. I am interested to put one on a Troopie with 1HZ.

leuca
20-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi Rowdy 2002
Would appreciate some details about Franz filter if still available by pm. ie price etc. I'm thinking of putting one on my Troopie with 1HZ diesel.