PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you used your winch?

Aaron_Fogarty
13-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Gday
Just wondering if its worth buying another winch for the toyota. I had a warn 8000lb job 5 years back but I sold it as the only 2 times i used it in 2 years was 1.to pull a stump out of my mates back yard and 2.believe it or not! I pulled a coppa out of the mud in a speed camera van at indooroopilly one day. After he booked me! I never used it up the beach not once.

BUT...

Now Im moving to darwin and plan on doing alot of 4wding Is it worth buying another one? and if so how many times have you used yours, and what for?

Dr_Dan
13-10-2004, 02:01 PM
He actually booked you, then you pulled him out??? Now that's tough!

baldyhead
13-10-2004, 02:07 PM
GEEZ M8 YOU'D be a MUG!
cheers baldy

CHRIS_aka_GWH
13-10-2004, 03:12 PM
a winch ??!!

that's New Zealand slang for a chick who serves beer isn't it #;D

the term otherwise means little to a Landrover owner
;)
chris

Glug
13-10-2004, 05:05 PM
If your going alone you need one just for piece of mind, I've used my hand winch twice in 20 years apart from pulling stumps, lifting engines out. A hand winch makes you think twice about getting bogged in the first place they are hard work but very handy. And your 4WD battery doesn't go flat if you use it a lot, you do. If you are stupid enough to travel in the wet you need a P.T.O. and a fuel tanker handy. You can push on all day with a P.T.O but you don't get far on a tank full of fuel.

Aaron_Fogarty
14-10-2004, 09:40 AM
No the coppa didnt book me but why let the truth get in the way of a good story!
Thanks for the constructive info Glug its appreciated
regards Aaron

megafish71
14-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Gday again Aaron
Don't get to carried away with fitting winches etc. Not to many places your going to require one up in Darwin. Most area's have reasonable dirt roads and other area's of the beaten track are privately owned or aboriginal owned. The aboriginal land all requires permits to travel onto, requireing lots of paperwork and time. Most privately owned land is hard to gain access to thanks to thoughtless jerks with firearms shooting stock. If it was me investing any money into any thing it would be difflockers and a hand winch just incase. Area's in the national parks (Kakadu and Litchfield) requirering a four wheel drive to access are closed during the wet season and buy the time they are reopened in the dry you could nearly drive a commodore down them. To me a winch would be a waste of time. Personally in seven years of living in the Top End I only got bogged once and that was on the father inlaws farm during the wet. Best bet is get up there have a look around and if you feel that a winch is worth putting on your vehicle then do it, but I think you will find that one is not really required.
Good luck
Ron

Big_Kev
14-10-2004, 01:07 PM
There always seems to be winches in the trading post in as new condition.(only used once or twice??)
I am with Mega and a diff lock for the rear diff would get a lot more use.
And a hand winch for emergency. 8)

Daintreeboy
14-10-2004, 03:12 PM
a winch ??!!

that's New Zealand slang for a chick who serves beer isn't it #;D

the term otherwise means little to a Landrover owner
;)
chris

that's cause they fall apart before they get that far.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-10-2004, 12:41 PM
28yrs + original equipment, no mods, still tickin', never winched or strapped

;) seeyainthesurf Daintreeboy #;)

nomad
16-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Over 20 years of 4wding, and have been bogged only a couple of times. I have either been pulled out or used a turfer. I have never wanted, or really needed a winch, until 2 weeks ago. I was in the Vic High Country( in a remote area ) on my own, and wanted to get to a good fishing spot that I had been to dozens of times over the years. I got out of my car and walked a bit of the track, and it was a mess. ( We have copped a lot of rain recently in Vic ) The tracks were steep and boggy, with water races 2 to 3 ft deep. In the dry this isnt a problem, but with the wet conditions if I slipped in, I would have well and truely been stuck. The track was to steep and long to use the turfer if I get stuck. With no one within cooee, I decided against having a go. I then said to myself- the next 4wd I get will have a winch. Better to be safe than sorry.!! [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=lost.gif]

Maverick79
17-10-2004, 04:31 AM
Howdy mate,

If it was me I would look at buying a turfer, long rope a few d shackles (rated) and a pully. this would see you out no worries. Just look in the trading posts etc u more than likely find one pretty cheap.

If you require a winch stay away from warn...not good at all. Go for either a thomas or a ramsey these are the way to go as they dont have the current draw that warns do (you dont want to have a flat battery as well).

any way hope this can help

Aaron_Fogarty
17-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Thanks Ron
Ill hold off on the winch for now
cheers Aaron

Aaron_Fogarty
17-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks Ron
Ill hold off on the warn for now. Is a Turfer a hand winch?
cheers Aaron

Maverick79
18-10-2004, 02:33 AM
Yes a turfer is a hand winch thinking of getting one myself
Just found one on ebay hardly used for $70 (at the moment) big saving. This will get you out anywhere a winch can just slower and more pyhsical
any trouble just contact me always happy to help

Aaron_Fogarty
18-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks Mav@will look into one
regards Aaron

Payneful
19-10-2004, 05:38 PM
Don't know why you would bag a Warn winch, if my life depended on it i would certainly go a warn over most other brands, have never had it fail on me yet and i have pulled myself (and others) out of some pretty horrible situations.

The thing with current draw is that you only get out what you put in ::) ::)

Power = Voltage x Amps
voltage is fixed so you can't change that, that leaves the amps, so more amps more power

More power = faster recovery or more pulling power

Sam.

bugman
20-10-2004, 04:45 AM
Car for 4 years winch used 4 times

1) Landrover Discovery towing a boat on Straddie (V8 version :-/)
2) Toyota Landcruiser at Samford
3) Suzuki Sierra at Cooloola National Park
4) Nissan Patrol (new one) Fraser.

Landrover defenders - None ;D

Bugman

Needmorerum
25-10-2004, 06:32 PM
You would want to have alot of facts behind you to suggest to keep away from warn winch's. The majority of winch's sold are warn. They are the preference to most commercial and non commercial applications. They are proven well beyond their capabilities.
I would love to hear the reasons that you are suggesting this Maverick79.

Corry

By the way, I don't run a warn winch, I use a Premier. I bought it when they first come out to give them a shot and see how they go, and they go great. I use it more than the average, as I am into the semi-extreme off roading. At one stage it was used twice a week for about 6 months. Only let down, one broken cable. Daunting when your up to the sills in mud in the pouring rain at midnight.

Maverick79
11-11-2004, 01:08 PM
do have the facts father has been in the winch industry for nearly 30 years been grown up around 4wd etc

Needmorerum
28-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Would love to hear some of the 'facts'. What have the failures been? Why would you not support Warn. Am very interested in this, as I also have an interest in the market.

Corry