PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE PLEASE TOYOTA HILUX SURF/4 RUNNER

ratherbfishing
23-09-2004, 01:57 PM
:) :)Hi guys

i need some advice please i am comming over to AUS in oct and i want to buy a toyota hilux surf/4 runner can you tell me please is there any difference between the surf and the four runner as they look the same to me?? and can you advise on what models are best to buy i dont have loads of bucks around 10-15k to spend are there lots of probs with these vehicles that i should be aware of or any thing you think is relevent??

thank you so much for your time

kind regards

paul

nhoj
23-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi Paul,

Have a look at this site. http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/

Should provide you with plenty of information

Regards,
Happy Surf owner. John.

Big_Kev
23-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Surf is a used imported vehicle. The Jap 4runner.
4runner is the australian name.Surf has all the fruit.
Keep away from the 2.4 diesel as they seem to have a lot more probs with the donk.
In a diesel if it blow black smoke the injectors are u/s and the pump may need attention so look out for that.
For a later model (post 91) a surf will have to be had.
Get a 3ltr is the go. Might cost about 17-19 to get a good one with low K's around 1996-7.

ratherbfishing
23-09-2004, 09:01 PM
:)Thanks guys for your help i will look out for the 3 litre diesel as you say and poss go for the petrol model also if they come up i have been looking on auto trader on line and i will be in QLD is there some where else better to look like local papers etc etc i will be in an area south of bris for 2 weeks called Carina then we are heading for the sunshine coast but need to get sorted with a vehicle quick as i have lots of fishing to do!!!lol lol

thanks again

regards

paul

Gorilla_in_Manila
23-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Paul,
Here is a carpoint surf in brisbane to give you an idea what sort of bang you might get for your buck. Do a search on carpoint for surfs or hiluxes and you should get more info.
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedCarID=428301&TabID=3328&Alias=carpointau
Cheers
Jeff

ratherbfishing
23-09-2004, 11:20 PM
cheers Jeff :)

thanks for that mate looks like there is loads of these things about just got to pick a good un!!

thanks again mate

paul

jimbamb
24-09-2004, 03:53 AM
Mate,
There are differences between surfs and forerunners.The latter has better cooling for aussie conditions.and different engine options .I owned a 92 model 2.8 diesel.Best vehicle ever sold it with 350000ks still goin like a charm. Only complaint was underpowered but if you arent in a hurry and use the gearbox theres no problem.I towed a 17.5 ft caravan around Aus twice and never laid a spanner on it..Total 65000Ks.have a good look before u buy.

GiddyUp
24-09-2004, 08:01 AM
You could try looking in the Trading Post to give some idea of prices
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/ ...From memory all surfs are diesel but i may be wrong

ratherbfishing
24-09-2004, 01:34 PM
:)Hi giddy up,

thanks mate i will take a look seems to be lots of these things for sale!!

cheers

paul

MTpockets
28-09-2004, 08:37 AM
I am a moderator at the surf website and own a 2.4 92 surf myself. It has all the bells and whistles and is a very capable 4wd. If you visit the website you will get a good idea of the known problems they suffer and how people have dealt with them. Parts are no longer an issue as they can be sourced through many outlets now. The biggest problem that the 2.4 faced was the overheating caused by the original head gasket and radiator. If the original stuff was left on the motor when coming to Oz it quicly failed due to the hotter temps here as opposed to Japan. If you do find a nice surf here in Brisbane and it happens to be say a '92 2.4 auto, make sure that if it is still original that you allow yourself some cash to put the 2.8 (3L) head gasket on and a new 3 core radiator, thermostat and radiator cap. All these parts are available from Toyota with all part numbers available on the surf website. The 3 core radiator can be purchased at most good radiator shops for around the $500 mark, and all up allow about $700 to do the job. I mean if you get a really nice surf for around the 12-13k mark and extra 700 will insure that you will minimise future head cracks. To replace a head you would be looking at about $3k. The 3L head gasket is the key to the surf overheating as the original gaskets caused most of the problems. The other thing you must do if going down this track is to flush out the system and refill with toyota coolant. I just had my head shaved and all the above done to mine and she runs like a dream now. Hope this helps, and please feel free to contact me if you need more info/help.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/

cheers
Les

ratherbfishing
28-09-2004, 11:57 AM
:)thanks Les,
mate the four runner,does this have better cooling more designed to the aussie climate,another guy has told me this and is there any easy checks i can do at the car lot when i buy to see if the modifications you mention have allready been done?
the other thing is does the petrol model suffer the same overheating problems? and with all this in mind am i to understand that the easiest way round these cooling issues would to be to go straight for the 3.0L version as this has none of these probs as standard?

thanks Les sorry for all the questions mate but we are coming over real soon and i will need a veichle quickly once we arrive and i dont want to buy a bag of trouble from a dodgy car dealer!! from what you say if they do have these problems then it is possible that i might buy one that has overheated and have a warped head or gasket problems and i am not really that clued up mechanically so im not to sure sure how to spot a problem??

thanks again for your time

kind regards

paul

MTpockets
28-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Hi paul,
Mate the only difference in the 4runner is that it doesnt have quite as many accessories as the surf, and is a petrol and dont come in auto. They had there own issues with lack of power and dodgy gearboxes ect....
If you are able to source out a good priced Surf, my mate is a mechanic and will check it out for you at a resonable price. Very trustworthy guy and knows Surfs well, as he owns a KZN185, 96 model.
If you were to look at a 3 litre Surf, they dont have the overheating problems like the 2.4. They seem to be a pretty good engine with the bugs ironed out.

Here is a link that you can read about what to look for when sourcing a surf, complied by our forum administrator, more to come and is a work in progress. http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2274

cheers
Les

Sportfish_5
30-09-2004, 04:43 AM
I was under the impression that there are differences in the components, specifically the clutch plate/throw out bearing, different gear ratios in box, different ECM for engine etc. Maybe it is different now but I thought Toyota Australia also stated that they would not hold these special items as a stocked item here in Australia and you need to go through non OEM business to get them ???

Sure the guys here can clarify this now.

Cheers

Greg

MTpockets
30-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Yes you are absolutly right about the differences in specific parts, but Toyota have come to the party with quite a few parts and in some instances go the extra mile to locate certain parts. Some Toyota spare parts divisions still to this day will not recognise the surf, but many more do and are very helpful. The thing about the surf website is a lot of the guys who own the surfs have done a lot of the hard yards and can supply part numbers for almost all the parts you need. Yes things were bad in the early years but these days its not very hard to track down parts.
Its like most things that get bad press early on..... the reputation lingers longest cos a mate who knows, told me so.
hehehe

cheers
Les

jimbamb
01-10-2004, 04:57 AM
Pockets,
Ya can get diesel forerunners.Had a 92 model 2,8 d for 8 years.Maybee i didnt read ya correctly,

MTpockets
01-10-2004, 06:32 AM
There ya go. I wasnt sure with 4runners and diesel as I always thought they were petrol. Thanks for the headsup Jim
cheers
Les

Gorilla_in_Manila
01-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Here you go MT ..... in the flesh! ;)
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedCarID=427617&TabID=3328&Alias=carpointau
Cheers
Jeff

MTpockets
01-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks for that Jeff :)
Maybe I should pay more attention to the 4runners instead of being so one eyed with the surfs ;D
cheers
Les

Gorilla_in_Manila
01-10-2004, 10:31 PM
Les,
This has been quite interesting reading for me actually.
Worked up in Malaysia during the 90's and only knew 4 runners from aus. Then started noticing a few getting around over there (mid 90's) and checked them out and found out they were called surfs.
I just assumed it was the asian version of the 4runner, and, like a lot of other models up there, have lighter transmission, suspension and motors than the aussie versions. Was quite shocked to notice Surfs in aus when I got back for a while (late 90's). My first thoughts were oh no, hope they upgraded them for aus conditions, coz if they haven't, the owners are going to have some expensive repairs.
By the sounds of the above, the importers didn't upgrade them and there has been the expected dramas in the earlier models.
Anyway, haven't had one myself, but interesting all the same.
Cheers
Jeff

MTpockets
01-10-2004, 10:57 PM
I actually find it interesting that you had the same thoughts about Surfs that I did. When I first came upon them I thought I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole, but now that I have done the research on them and now own one, I must admit I am very much converted. I have always been so dead against grey imports for so many years that I suprise myself with the way I changed my way of thinking ;D

Dollar for dollar I beleive the Surf is the best value 4wd in the country. If you take the 3 litre KZN series for instance, you can have a very capable 4wd for the whole family with all the bells and whistles for less than 20k. It is definatly in reach for most middle wage earners who cant afford the Cruisers and Patrols, and the like. I am proud to own a Surf and I share my passion with 800 other surf owners on our site who feel the same. Life really is good :)
cheers
Les

jimbamb
03-10-2004, 03:42 AM
Pockets,
Never had a surf but the forerunner was the best vehicle ive ever owned,Comfy,reliable,go anywhere,an i mean ANYWHERE,economical easy to drive,even the missus drove it over big red near birdsville.should never have sold it.

MTpockets
03-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Yeah, isn't it the way :) Rarely do you get a car that you can say that in hindsight. At least you know that whoever is driving it now is saying the same thing :)

cheers
Les

Marz
08-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Hi guys just found this site hope someone can asnswer my question.

im looking to buy a car soon and i was looking at either a 4runner or Surf. 1996 onwards.

Was there a petrol motor available?
Also what is the difference between a 4runner and a Surf?
Are they both grey imports or is it only the Surf?
How is their power compared to other 4wd's?
What am i looking at spending to get a decent one?

Cheers from Marz

MTpockets
08-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Was there a petrol motor available?
Yes, it was released in the 1996 version. it is a VZN185 V6.

Also what is the difference between a 4runner and a Surf?
The 4 runner released here in Australia was an Australian built car. Very simular but built for Aussie conditions.

Are they both grey imports or is it only the Surf?

The Surf was imported from Japan. The 4 runner was Aussie built.

How is their power compared to other 4wd's?

The 2.4 turbo diesel was pretty sluggish but still had great torque. The KZN130 3 litre was pretty good and had heaps of go. The KZN 185 3 litre is basically the Prado running gear and is also very good. The VZN185 is the V6 petrol same as the Prado and goes like a rocket.

What am i looking at spending to get a decent one?
The 1988-1992 2.4 will go for around the 11k to 15k.
The 1993-1996 3litre will go for around 15k to 19k.
The 1996-1997 still fetch from 19k to 26k depending on the kays and the options.
In general the surf is well catered for these days and parts are no longer a problem in Oz. They are a fairly cheap way to buy a 4x4 with all the bells and whistles, and are a very capable 4wd.
Seeing as how you have gotten my answer here I wont bother answering your post at our forum at www.toyotasurf.asn.au, I will just link it back to here.
cheers
Les

MY-TopEnder
09-12-2004, 05:59 AM
I was going to add my 2c worth but it seems Les here has done the job just nicely.

I basically own a clone of Les's truck except for the engine problems. I've had it a month now and honestly i wouldn't buy anything else, if i ever upgrade, it'll be to a newer surf.

MTpockets
09-12-2004, 07:06 AM
Rob...... engine problems solved with a new 3L head.
Goes like a champion now mate ;D

cheers
Les

Girella
09-12-2004, 11:56 AM
How is the leg & head room for the taller gentleman ?

I heard from a friend of an aquaintance of a relative of a workmate's wife that they are a
a bit cramped.

PK

MY-TopEnder
09-12-2004, 05:16 PM
They're not too bad... like i'm not 6ft but theres plenty of room there, you wouldn't want to be taking a few passengers in the back though as things tend to cramp up a bit there.

Anyway most of em have a sunroof ;D

In terms of luggage room, bloody massive, i've had a sleeping bag in the back of mine and been able to sleep in it with the seats down.

I think about the only difference between Les's truck and mine is that his has the engine issues fixed, and i haven't had any pop up with mine. (hugs a bloody tree touching wood :P)

Marz
09-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info Les just what i needed to know.
Now i have another question.
What is it that makes you guys prefer a Surf over a 4Runner?
Is it the price or optiona available?
How good is the economy from the petrol v6 motor in efficiency compared to the diesel motor?
Or does it guzzle like some landcruisers do on petrol?
Do htey have a full chassis?

Cheers from Marz

MTpockets
09-12-2004, 10:18 PM
What is it that makes you guys prefer a Surf over a 4Runner?
Simply put..... there is not very many 4 runners around, but of the ones that are, have way too many kays on em and considering the options the surf has, it makes sense and they come as a diesel only. The V6 petrol runner is very heavy on juice. Surf's usually have low milage due to them being from Japan and complied with less than 100,000 ks.

Is it the price or optiona available?
Its both. The price is affordable and the options make it worthwhile.

How good is the economy from the petrol v6 motor in efficiency compared to the diesel motor?
The V6 petrol Surf is very good on fuel. The 3 litre diesels get around the 12 litres per 100k, not bad.

Or does it guzzle like some landcruisers do on petrol?
No, they do much better than the cruisers due to them not weiging as much. Prolly 2/3rds of a ton lighter.

Do htey have a full chassis?
Indeed they do :)