PDA

View Full Version : double island point!

shano
25-10-2004, 05:18 AM
just wondering if anyone has used the freshwater track before? we are thinking of using this one instead of the mudlow rocks pass(think thats the name) anyway the rocks at rainbow where everyone comes a gutza!how long does it take roughly to get to the beach?

also i have heard a few people like to use the Tewantin way cross the Noosa River by ferry ,then drive along the beach to Rainbow Beach. is this a quicker way? are there any other benafits to this? and if quicker how much quicker!

mako_5.2
25-10-2004, 02:14 PM
It is worth ringing the Rainbow Beach racq or the parks and wildlife at Rainbow before you go for an update. The rocks can be impassable at low tides at times and other times you can drive around at high without wetting your wheels. Do a search on Rainbow Beach Fishing club or the hotel, I think they used to have conditions on there.The freshwater track itself is fine. About an hour give or take from Rainbow through it to the beach. Allow a couple of hours either side of high for a run up the beach. Or try from the Tewantin end up to Rainbow and if the rocks are out head back to Double Island and go around through Freshwater. This way you still get to see the coloured sands or drive up to the rocks park you car up high and walk up to the pub .5 minutes walk Dont risk your car

shano
25-10-2004, 02:56 PM
takes that long hey! so will the tide come right up the beach ? so on high tide you can't drive the beach at all from fresh water to say the cherrie venture? or from Tewantin up?
also how long does it take from Tewantin to double island? and what is the cost of the barge?

jimbamb
27-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Mate,
The ferry at tewantin is $5 each way.It is good driving up the beach.mostly hard wet sand.anytime an hour or so before the top of the tide is usually ok.The only place ya cant get thru sometimes is at Rainbow itself, at high tide the water comes up to the cliffs.
The freshwater track is soft sand and narrow but ok with care.comes onto the TCB/Rainbow beach road a few ks out of rainbow.
Its about 50K up the beach to rainbow from tewantin.At lo tide its an easy 1hr run welll worth the effort.Try leavin Tewantin a couple of hours before low tide an you can run up an back without any trouble.
PM me if ya think i can give ya any more advise

cosmo
27-10-2004, 06:11 PM
How much does a beach permit set you back for Rainbow?

sharkbait
28-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Don't need one - if you go over to Fraser you will.

maverick1
01-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Hi ,
just come back from double island a week ago , tried the
fresh water track for the first time , the sand was a little soft but no dramas , the track is about 16 km long , it can
be a little rough in some spots so take it easy , on the way back we came back through rainbow beach and passed the rocks with no problems , but it was about hour before low tide , so an hour either side of tide should be ok , that also
depends on the size of the tides ? .

cheers
Maverick

Lucky_Phill
01-12-2004, 11:47 AM
I would n't reccomend the frshwater track during peak periods, ie:- school hols etc.

jeez it gets busy, and for some reason, people are scared to reverse their 4 x 4, to let others past on the one lane sections.

a couple of years back I towed a boat over the track, and I ended up reverseing the thing back past at least 5 4 x 4's with ignorant folks at the wheel. too bloody busy combing their hair, talking on the mobile, or whatever these clowns do.

Ringing the hotel is a good option, but the beach IS the way to go.

Phill

Big_Kev
01-12-2004, 04:46 PM
The one's who don't like to back up were'nt driving Nissan X-trails were they Phil?
Ooooohhhhhhh

skippa
01-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Kev,

X-Trails, that's because they were probably bogged #;D #;D

Cheers,
Tony # 8)

Big_Kev
02-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Ooooohhhh and I thought my remark was cheeky.

skippa
02-12-2004, 03:50 PM
;D ;D

shano
10-12-2004, 06:40 PM
, on the way back we came back through rainbow beach and passed the rocks with no problems ,
was the water al the way out? as the last time i was there on low tide the water was still pretty much around the rocks due to the storm they had which washed alot of the sand away! and is there still bad trenches there !?

maverick1
14-12-2004, 03:54 PM
It was about 3 quarters of an hour before low tide (0.45mt low) and still around 6 metres of beach left .

cheers
maverick