PDA

View Full Version : possible rodeo any ideas?

murrayscod
14-11-2004, 08:27 AM
hi fellas, im currently in a bit of confusion about buying a rodeo which has come up for sale. the story is its a 98 rodeo dual cab, turbo diesel, bullbar, towbar, ac. etc. it is for sale under a bidding system with the reserve set at $3000.
now to me that sounds like a bargain considering the body and interior looks in great shape. catch is the previous driver, drove it hard and never got it serviced. therefore the turbo is def rooted and it has got 260000 on the clock.
i was considering that if i bought it id most likely be better off putting a second hand motor in wiht less than 100000 on it. there may also be other problems i am unaware of such as gearbox, diff? i priced around for a second hand motor and diff and box and the motor went 2800, box, 1100, and diff was 550.
i basically decided last year that i would like a car identical to this type for my next vehicle, however proabably not at this point in time having only just finished uni.
basically im asking whether you guys think its gonna be worth it considering the work it might need, or whether id be better of becoming better financially and waiting for a reasoanble one to come up.
if i knew exactly what does need fixing then itd be easier however its located in narromine so its a bit hard to determine. # #
any thoughts?
cheers Luke

murrayscod
14-11-2004, 08:40 AM
a pic outside

murrayscod
14-11-2004, 08:41 AM
and one inside

murrayscod
18-11-2004, 09:10 AM
well advice or not i got it, so thanks for your interest guys.. :-/ current plan is to get it here check out whats involved in fixing it too good shape and if its gonna be too excessive for me then ill sell it.

scott_b
22-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Gday murrayscod
Mate let me know if there is any more rodeos for that price, single or dual cab.
wamjam

max
24-11-2004, 05:24 PM
You didnt buy it you stole it at that

murrayscod
24-11-2004, 06:40 PM
hehe mate, if you told me id be getting one for that price a few weeks ago i would have agreed with what you just said... considering i dont have secure financial backing at the moment i wouldnt buy something unless i think its a damn bargain. had a few quotes and most are around 3000 for a motor with around the 100000 mark wrecked or 80000 jap import. i cant make any decisions yet until i get it but i think the import would be the better option, just cant trust those wreckers.. so all up at this point might be about 6500. to get it going well.

paz
02-12-2004, 05:50 PM
mate pity i didnt read this earlier.....i do a trip over to narromine quite regularly on my dirt bike,,,,only takes me about 20 mins,,could have had a look at it for you...
paz 8)

murrayscod
03-12-2004, 04:11 PM
yeah thanks for the interest mate. it is still actually there as they havent found a spot on one of the grain trucks to send it up. if it doesnt come soon then i might have to look into a car transport. anyways from everyone ive talked to they all thought it was a good buy whatever shape its in mechanically.

paz
03-12-2004, 05:00 PM
mate i'd give finemores a call,,,i got a car brought down from brissy a few years ago,,cost me about 300 from memory,,,goin to where you are shouldnt be to bad....
paz
btw.....damn good buy,,,if you hadnt have bought it i would have...could even take it off ya hands if ya want ;)

IanB
10-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Are you capable of doing the work yourself or are you going to pay to get it done ??

I had an early Jackaroo about an 85 Model. The Turbo was shagged and I mean shagged, so was the motor. Anyway I overhauled the lot including the fuel pemp and injectors, from memory cost me abot 4K, but everything was rebuilt.

The Isuzu diesels are a good little motor and worth doing.

murrayscod
11-12-2004, 07:49 AM
nah mate i wouldnt have the first idea of where to start with a rebuild. so yes ill have to get someone to do it. but im still thinking of just swapping the motor over. until i get the ute maybe next week i cant say what i should do. yeah i know people who get huge mileage out of the isuzu motors in rodeos so i also think its a good move. well once the motors done i should have a vehcicle that will last me for years.

IanB
15-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Ok do yourself one favour, after the Turbo (or before) is done up fit a Bogaard Turbo Timer to it, they are made in Austarlia at Ballina, and are the best on the market, there should be a plug in unit to fit the Rodeo and it could save you another repair bill down the track.

murrayscod
16-12-2004, 09:55 AM
cheers mate that sounds like a good idea.. seems odd that the timers dont come standard with turbos these days. ill be keeping in contact with you when i get it sounds like you know the full story behind them.
cheers Luke

Cloud_9
23-12-2004, 04:15 PM
i had 2001 rodeo and there fine vehicals the soot burners are pretty good too service it and drive the thing
if its fuked then fix it
but if its not broken dont fix it.
im on my second rodeo and there ok
2004 that ive got now is comfy but not as speedy as the 2001.
it looks ok from the outside.must be very late 98.
that is the new shape for the 2000 to 2003!

there good utes drive it enjoy it save your money.

Cheers Cloud 9

murrayscod
23-12-2004, 06:33 PM
yeah mate im quite certain ive done the right thing buying it.. its a november 98 model. latest news is i might have it next thursday.. fingers crossed.. then the fun begins with getting it back on the road..

i only have to see the number of rodeos where i work to know that they are a good ute. and the number of stories about them lasting to 300-400000 ks before needing any work is amazing.