PDA

View Full Version : rust and preventive measures???

ratherbfishing
25-12-2004, 05:02 AM
:)hi guys :)

i have recently moved over from the u.k (and god am i pleased i did lol lol ) and after much decision making between surfs and land cruisers( and my wifes 2 bucks worth) i have purchased a cruiser gas guzzler 4.5 petrol with the grand idea of taking it up the beach to camp and fish(and consume some beer lol) thing is i have asked where i bought the car about rust treatment and they want to pull it apart and keep it for 2 days and squirt stuff in all the right places!!! but my mate says "dont bother just get one of those electric things" so i am a bit confused dont really want my pride and joy to fall apart in a years time knowing i could have and should have prevented it!!! and i am paranoid about going up the beach with out treating it to some protection of some sort even have my bribie permit and not used it!!!!!! lol lol and really want to go up there :( and camp and fish got all my stuff tent ,esky ,air beds loads of tackle and a wife and kids ready to go!!!! so can any of you boys give me some sound advice on this rust treatment lark please??

also if any of you boys fish bribie either 4x4 access or otherwise i would love to hear from you?? as some guys are saying let your tyres down and some say not????? so if you have been up there before and know what to expect i would much appreciate any advice both on not getting stuck!!!! and the best fishing zones???

thanks for all the help you gave before i came over back in october and the offers of help and advice in choosing my 4x4 was dead set on a surf/4 runner but the misuss wrecked that!!!! still i do like my cruiser!!!lol lol

thanks alot chaps have a great christmas and a happy healthy new year!!!

kind regards

paul :)

Daintreeboy
25-12-2004, 10:34 AM
I'd get both. You should be able to get the ERPS beach kit (6 Cathodes) plus the old style spray for about 1000 bucks, money well spent if you're doing beach driving.
Cheers, Mark.

Dug
25-12-2004, 03:03 PM
I love fisholene, fish oil, it is not as smelly as it used to be but still works OK.

If you can get a spray gun or just spray paint and pour it everywhere you can think of then leave it in the sun for a few days to dry off.

Great Gunk! I did out an old Kingswood wagon towed a boat, fishing and diving gear dumped in the back. Never a spot of rust.

I could not get near it for a week after painting it for the stink but it worked Buy at supacheap in 5 lt tins.

Lanolin is good to but more expensive.

Catch up soon

Cheers Doug

ratherbfishing
25-12-2004, 04:18 PM
:) :)hey thanks guys i will see how the funds go after christmas and get something done cheers guys

regards

Gorilla_in_Manila
26-12-2004, 06:57 AM
Paul,
Here's a link to a previous discussion on rust prevention that might be of interest.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=4X4;action=display;num=1083990434;s tart=0#0

And one on beach driving.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=4X4;action=display;num=1082614431;s tart=0#0
Cheers
Jeff

ratherbfishing
27-12-2004, 08:34 AM
:) :)hey jeff :) :)

thanks mate for that!!!! looks like i have got to save some $$$$$ to get this thing rust resistant!!!

thanks again mate happy new year to you and yours!! :)

regards

Gorilla_in_Manila
30-12-2004, 10:13 AM
No worries Paul, It will be money well spent in my book.
Happy NY to you and yours also.
Cheers
Jeff

reefraider_II
06-01-2005, 02:44 AM
opposite lock in briz does the erps kit installed for about 400.

cooky
06-01-2005, 10:01 AM
i remember a bloke who had a very tricked up F100 ute with 351, etc (beautiful rig). He was beach launching his speed boat and got bogged - sat there for too many hours and got completely swamped.

His solution to RUST prevention???

He dried it out and sold it to some unsuspecting nut a few weeks later.

Mr.Smog
21-01-2005, 06:28 AM
ratherbfishing,
I have used a mixture or TECTOL and FISHOILINE (forget the blend) on both my cruisers with no adverse effects. Mix and spray up, down and along all panels and chassis with a probe that sprays in a round pattern on the withdrawal stroke. Smells a bit for a while but does the job.
Cheers,
Mr.Smog ::)

slugo
01-02-2005, 07:41 PM
ratherbfishing
a mate of mine has one of thoes electric gizmos on his 4x4 he lives on stocton beach at tin city and he recons there great just a bit expensive to save heaps of money.

go buy a garden spray 10 ltr-15l tr fill it up with tectol add some diesel with it (the diesel makes it spread better) then spray the hell out of it. done the same with all my vehicles and i have no rust. i take my vehicle on the beach on most days and rust is no problem. but make sure you wash it down each time

CHEERS

Daintreeboy
02-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Although it has the unfortunate side effect of having dust stick to it like glue!!