PDA

View Full Version : Troopy Advice\lights\roofrack\compress\stonegaurd

Aaron_Fogarty
17-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Gday Lads
Just upgraded to a 2001 Troopy and I have a few questions for the pros out there?
1.Driving lights? am considering the HELLA rally 4000?
2.Roof rack to carry 1 spare wheel, 3 jerry cans and two back packs? am scanning the trading post or considering building one? Have looked at eastcoast and ARB whats good?
3.Compressor? do I get the 69.99 one from supa cheap or do I spend 200?
4.Rubber stone flap at the rear of the car to protect the boat?
How far of the road is 3" OK? Will I still need to protect the front of the boat.?
WADDYA RECKON?
CHEERS BOYS any help is appreciated to get the job done right the first time
Regards
Aaron

Big_Kev
17-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Get the good air compressor and have it set up under the hood. It is worth the effort. The cheap ones don't do the job of the others or last the distance.You will thank yourself every time you use it.

Needmorerum
17-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Driving Lights, don't count out the Lightforce range. The 240's are great, you can change them from Spot to Spread with a twist, and they are waterproof.
Compressor, definately don't cheap out. So many of the cheapies will not do what you want, or fail early. Last thing you need when away from home. I run an ARB underbonnet compressor, mainly for lockers, but also use it for tyre inflation after beach driving. Haven't had a problem yet, and it's 4.5yrs old.
Roof Rack, again, I run the ARB full length. Mainly for strength, and durability. Done many trips to the Cape, and handled corrugations faultlessly. If you make it yourself, make sure that each leg is the right length to share the weight. Seen alot of problems with home made jobs.
Rubber Stone Flap, can't really help here. I have seen more people off road set up a stone deflector on the trailer. This is what I have done for highway driving for my Cruise Craft, never even contemplated putting one on the car. I reckon that you would end up deflecting all the rocks up under the car, unless it was mounted on a down angle.

Hope some of this helps,
Good luck

Corry

brush
18-01-2005, 04:15 AM
Aaron,
Mates got a Full length Prof. made Roofrack to suitTroopy, just sitting in his shed at Bundy, if you are interested I can give you his mobile.. Its in V/good condition,
cheers Mate

Brush

rajawolf
18-01-2005, 07:21 PM
HELLA rally 4000 and lightforce 240 are very good lights..just make sure they will fit on your bullbar as they are a very large light.

Tony

Aaron_Fogarty
19-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Corry
Mate, where do they mount the compressors under the hood on the 75 series, does anyone have a piccy?
Regards
Aaron

Needmorerum
24-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Could be mounted just about anywhere you like. I've seen them mounted all over the place. Just got to find somewhere where there is enough room. How much room you need depends on which compressor your looking at.
The Big Red II, is quite a large compressor, where the ARB unit is about average size.

Hope this helps
Corry

PS. Let me know if you really want some photo's, I could arrange to have some sent to me if needed.

Needmorerum
24-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention what I think you were actually asking. The average compressor is about the length and height of a 4WD battery and about 1/3 the thickness.

Corry

Brett_Hoskin
06-02-2005, 01:40 AM
There may not be a lot of room left over for #a compressor once a second battery goes in..jiggle things about a bit. Some people put them under the seat, keeps the dust and moisture out.
I found that by upping the globes in the existing lams were much better than the std lamps and I didn't have to worry about the spotties falling off , breaking etc

When we did our year trip spotties were fitted. I was alwaws tightening the things and ended up taking them off. In fact we never needed them as the only time we drove at night was in the towns.

Lucky bugger , getting an upgrade. I am still looking for a replacement for my 75 series. #Now I am being spoilt at work. The boss has taken my TD Hlux off me and is replacing it with a GXL TD 100 series.
Will I ever be able to drive a troopy again??????????????