PDA

View Full Version : imported patrol (89 model) any advice

BigE
15-12-2004, 07:19 AM
hi ausfishers i'm in the market for a new 4b/tow vehical at the moment i have a 4m tinny but that will be upgraded to a 1/2cab in a year or so. i went looking the other day and found a place that imports patrols from japan with about 75000kms for about $15000-18000 with rego& compliance they look the same and run a td42 engine the major differance seems to be a 24volt electrical system, does any one have any experience or advice.
many thanks BigE

jackmangrove
31-12-2004, 04:33 AM
Hi BigE,

I was looking at an imported model myself before I bought mine. Low K`s always look good. I`m no expert on the subject but I did ask a few questions and surf the net a bit before I made a decision. You`re right about the 24 volt system and that may be the only drawback. From what I gathered the system itself is fine but you perhaps may find it quite difficult to replace certain electrical components if something goes a miss. In the end I went with the local product just to be sure. It`s alot of money to spend if you aren`t 100% sure. I know the K`s will generally be higher on a local item but then if you can find one that has always been serviced regularly then it should really be fine. I had 260 on my clock and it runs like a dream.....always serviced every 5 to 10 with receipts and hasn`t missed a beat. I guess I`d just say ask a few more questions before you buy. Hope you get a good one!

Cheers...Leon

Needmorerum
31-12-2004, 05:42 PM
I would tend to stay away from Imports like that. Try finding bits for it when away from home. Could make a holiday a nightmare.
Just have to do some running around to find the bargains within Aus. As I am bias towards the Cruisers, why don't you look at the 80 series Cruisers as well. Good examples can be found within your budget, and not much goes wrong with them either. As jackmangrove said, check your service history, and there shouldn't be a problem. I have found that Motorama 4x4 hold a large variety of 4B's there.

Corry

adrian
03-01-2005, 08:16 AM
check with nissan if they supply the parts that are going to break ie bulbs ec or if they will honor any warranty .the motor is a good one if the owners look after it (300 000 kms and still going strong) also check to see if any thing else is different running gear brakes pads etc as these are the things that get you in the end

anzac

FLATHEAD1
03-01-2005, 03:42 PM
I own a 1987 privately imported nissan safari (ie GQ Patrol). To date I have not found any mechanical difference between the imported safari and the local patrol.

I have sourced every thing from nissan, king springs, fast fit, repco, supercheap and autobarn. I have bought used patrol accessories from the trading post.

The 24v system is better than 12v. You can purchase bulbs from all of the above oultets. Trucks run 24 volt systems. Engel fridges run on 24 volts. Replacement alternators etc are available from UD (Nissan) trucks.

The GQ safari/patrol is a world export vehicle sent to most every country in the world and used by the united nations. It was in production for over ten years. I don't think nissan would be building us Aussies our very own special version.

I would however stay away from vehicles that were not initially imported by the manufacturer ie Toyota Surfs.

When the 80 series cruiser is 15 years old I will be privately importing one of the vehicles to replace my nissan.

Anyone contemplating buying a safari import do your homework, get the facts and forget the rumors (probably started by used car dealers).

Cheers
FH1

FLATHEAD1
19-01-2005, 04:02 AM
My son was wiring up for a fridge the other day and noticed a hand brake like lever under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

I don't recall that the Maverick had it but did recall reading about this feature as it disconnects the rear stabilizer bar when off road. An indicator light comes up on the dash when it is disengaged

The difference on rough terrain is amazing. It certainly reduces the road impact through the body making for a much smoother ride.

Is this feature on the GQ Patrols?

Cheers
FH1

Gorilla_in_Manila
19-01-2005, 04:27 AM
FH1,
I remember seeing that feature on a safari we had at work in Malaysia. I got a lift in it once and asked the guy driving it to give it a go but didn't notice a major difference - probably cause the suspension was on its last legs anyway.
My old man has a 92 patrol and I'm fairly sure it doesn't have the feature.
(but then again, I've been wrong before today ::))
Cheers
Jeff

jibby
07-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Yes the quick release system was on aussie version's as a optional extra same as the diff locking system.