PDA

View Full Version : Diff Lockers

afro
03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Just wondering if anyone is running diff lockers. Either Air, detroit or others. I was wondering how they perfomed in sand, I am aware of the benifits in the bush, but was warned they can actually harm performace in soft sand. Any thoughts and experinces would help.

Cheers

Justin

Needmorerum
03-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Justin, I run air lockers in my 80 series cruiser. I have found that in the sand I tend to flick them on then off all the time (the bonus of air lockers). If I am bogging down and going to dig in I turn them off to save burying all 4 wheels in, but if I'm just running in soft stuff and I have the momentum I leave the rear in to help push me along.
If you are asking to find out what type of locker to buy, then the answer is, there is only one, the ARB Air Locker, (no affiliation). Just look around to those that know and go along to some of the meets at Landcruiser Mountain Park and ask around.
I don't know anyone who goes off roading and needs lockers that hasn't either got air lockers to start with or have ripped out the others and then put air lockers in. The other bonus is that you get an air compressor for pumping up your tyres when you've finished on the beech.

HTH
Corry

Big_Kev
03-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Yep just what Corry said.
Start with an air locker in the back.

Jack_Lives_Here
04-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Fit lockers = upgrade of recovery gear. It will get you deeper in than before.

Big_Kev
05-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Yeah getb the lockers.
If you are gonna bog it, bog it good.

afro
07-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback and i intend to bog it very well indeed. Has anyone used or heard anything on the Lokka - Lock Right diff locks, they seem similar to a detroit locker, any feedback on these would help the decision making process.

Cheers

banshee
07-09-2004, 02:17 PM
G'day Guru,I sold my '87 Hilux recently,it had 395 K on the clock,at about 200 K I fitted(actualy my machanic mate)lock rite lockers front and back,they gave me no trouble and were still going strong when we parted company.The workings of the lock rite alows a wheel to spin faster than the drive wheel but not slower,sort of like a ratchet for want of a better term,this leeds to the audible click clack that can be heard when going around roundabouts or other tight turns.The beauty of these lockers is that you can maintain full steering in 4WD without being pushed forward,they do how ever make your steering extremly heavy in 4WD if you don't have power steering,they will also emit a loud bang every now and then especialy if you do a lot of lane swaping it is a bit unnerving at first but mine did it on countless occasions for no ill effect,this is also a trait of the Detroit Locker.All in all these things turned my old Hilux into a very capable old ute,hope this helps some.

Needmorerum
12-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Guru, obviously money is an option. I strongly believe that you get what you pay for. Lockers included. Don't skimp out, get air lockers and you'll never regret it. If you need to, wait until the money is there for them. Like I've said before, everyone I know that has had Lock Rites has either gotten rid of them or regretted them.

Of course this is my opinion only

Corry

Big_Kev
12-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Yes go for the ARB's.
They are the prefered choice here and in the states.
Get one for the back first if you can't go the whole hog straight up.

jibby
07-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Jack don't live if he doesn't Like lockers and ARB airlockers are the only option.

PG
11-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Something I heard was that if you have airlockers in the back and you're turning through sandy track or mud...is that they will tend to push your car forward because both wheels lock and drive at the same rate hence making steering very dificult if not impossible in slippery conditions. This can be dangerous and the option of flicking off is great IF you don't want to be stuck.
I bought an 80 series cruiser last October with Detroit locker in the back and although not having had experienced much 4WD'ing or other lockers...I'm wrapped with it's performance in soft sand and even on the road.
I can see a downside for airlockers.

Needmorerum
11-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Well Paul with all the people I have come across within the 4WD scene, whether at social events, competition events or up the beach, your the only person I have ever heard say that you can see a dowside for airlockers.
I've never heard of lockers, no matter what make or type, causing a vehicle to push forward. I've been in all different makes of 4wd's with all types of lockers fitted to them, on both dirt, rock, and sand and never had that feeling, or heard anyone else comment on having that sort of feeling.
Of course this is related to having a locker in the rear, a front locker will give you that understeer effect, hence good reason to have the option to turn on and off.

Corry

PG
12-02-2005, 09:57 AM
I remember reading a few comments to the effect of the ones below. The guru...you might find this site useful.
I'm sure tehre are other sites with similar forums to ausfish, and sites that deal with 4WD'ing primarily.
http://www.4wdaustralia.com.au/Forum/Archive/2004_6/17670.asp

stevo1965
17-02-2005, 04:41 AM
Just wondering if anyone is running diff lockers. Either Air, detroit or others. I was wondering how they perfomed in sand, I am aware of the benifits in the bush, but was warned they can actually harm performace in soft sand. Any thoughts and experinces would help.

Cheers

Justin
:o When i went through the simpson witha mate of mine in a hilux he blew up his 4 well drive box so he had to use his arb diff locker to get through we only had to snach him once which is pretty amaseing really GO THE AIR LOCKERS THERE WORTH EVERY SENT
CIA STEVE

finding_time
18-02-2005, 01:32 PM
guru

If you want to see the difference lockers make we should have a Ausfish day at the ormeau tracks and all the vehicles with air-lockers can drive up totally insane tracks. It really is very impressive!

As far as beach driving goes , i think there is limited benifit in lockers. As someone earlier said you only get six foot further in to the s#$%.

Air lockers are great on slippery boat ramps. :D

GBC
19-02-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm probably arriving a little late to wade in, however I might be able to help u with the lokka's. I've had a fair bit of experience with air lokkers (also electric and vacuum lokkers) and like the boys say, they are great and they are also fairly cost prohibitive unless you plan on using them in comps etc., cause lets face it if the vehicle is otherwise un modded or only slightly lifted, the places you need to go to use twins will break your car (read 'the claw' at cruiser park etc).
I have fitter a 'lokka' (auto lokker) to the front diff of my ifs hilux and it has improved its ability no end (for $700 bucks). Bear in mind I bought this ute for touring and not club/comp work. Spose what i'm trying to say is take it from someone who has modded numerous 4bies, and decide what u want to do b4 u start shelling out big bucks.
Also - what type of vehicle have u got? Cause some makes hate lokkers and will start spitting c.v's etc when driven hard - my lux for example, and the 100 series before that, and the 80 series before that. Probably opened a can of worms now........ see ya

finding_time
19-02-2005, 10:58 AM
GBC
Sounds like a case of NISSAN running gear envy!!!!! :o

Still you probably need the Lokka to get up onto the footpath in the Lux.

Ps. watch that front difffff. ;D

GBC
19-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Yes, Nissans have good running gear, pity a decent sized bloke doesn't fit in them other wise I might have one...

finding_time
19-02-2005, 11:37 AM
what's decent size?
I'm 6'4 and a bit of a fat bastaaard and i have no probs my old man's a complete and utter really fat bastaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard 150 kg + he fits, a bit of a squeeze , go figure!
He'll be pleased to be called decent sized though! ::) ::)

GBC
19-02-2005, 11:53 AM
decent size 6' 9"...... Not me, my brother in law, but we camp/fish a lot in tandem (he owns half my boat as well) feel sorry for him, he won't fit anywhere in a nissan. Had to remove the jesus bar from the passenger side of my old '80 series to fit him in that, but at least he could drive it.
Funny about the bigger vehicles with less room. He fits better into the smaller hatchbacks etc. Hope he doesn't mind me talking about him here because I know he reads ausfish, and wouldn't want to p*ss him off (Can ya blame me!!!).

finding_time
19-02-2005, 12:04 PM
6'9 Bloody hell!
I think i would buy a ute and strap him in the back( With his permission)
What size boat do you own ? It,s not the Moreton Venture is it? Any thing else would sink!

GBC
19-02-2005, 12:09 PM
would ya believe a 455 polycraft Centre console? Doesn't need tabs as long as he doesn't sneeze !!

finding_time
19-02-2005, 12:16 PM
:PThat would be an interesting sight.
i'll keep an eye out you should be easy to spot as long as he doesn't put one of those LED head lamps on then you might mistake him for a floating light ship! :P

banshee
19-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Went and checked out my old Hilux last night after seeing this thread kick off again,423 K on the clock,that's 223 K on the lockrites front and back and he hasn't had an ounce of trouble with them,his useage is much the same as mine was,farm work,up in the forest getting firewood,towing,beachwork and general family hack.Understand that when a diff is locked one type cannot make it any more locked than another,the only things that I see coming into play is durability and price,my personal opinion of the lockrites is that they are very good.

Needmorerum
23-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Understand that when a diff is locked one type cannot make it any more locked than another,the only things that I see coming into play is durability and price.

Agree with the part of when it's locked it's locked, I think what you need to have is the ability to unlock it. I've even done the mod to my 80 to have the centre locker only come on when the button is pressed and not when low range is selected.
Stick with the best, got the air lockers, you can then use the compressor for other jobs as well.

Corry

bay_firey
23-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Why for are thay called "dif lockers" ??? ???
Seems to me that you don't install a "diff locker" but a whole damn new diff that can be locked ???
Or is simple me missing something ;D

GBC
03-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Bay firey,
good question. To be accurate, air lokkers are diff lockers, and auto lokkers are diff unlokkers.
Basically, means that in a perfect world, auto lokkers are permanently engaged while being driven by the driveshaft, until such time that one wheel on the axle set spins faster than the driveshaft is driving it (i.e. turning a corner the outside wheel spins faster than the inside). At this stage the lokker cams out and makes clicking sounds until such time as the driveshaft catches up with the faster wheel and grabs it again.
Air lokkers are not engaged until the switch is hit, at which stage both wheels are locked together no matter what happens until the switch is hit again.
While air lokkers are engaged steering can be an issue, however anyone with auto lokkers will tell you that their turning circle will never be the same again. (and they can't turn their's off)
Hope this helps, and doesn't insult anyones intelligence

bay_firey
03-03-2005, 04:01 PM
GBC
I got that, but
You can't just install a "diff locker" ??? can you ?
You need to install a complete diff center that accepts/uses/utilises the particualr "locker" be that an air locker or an auto locker ???
Or am I still missing it :-/

GBC
04-03-2005, 05:35 AM
air lockers actually replace the side gears, auto lokkers are installed into the existing diff without anything much being removed.
That is the short story, and only for two brands arb and lock rite.
As for electric/hydraulic actuated lokkers, worry about that if you get a Landie.

But then again, word has it that TJM are soon to release an electric lokker for most brands of vehicles. Problem is going to be price point - pretty exxy and not as proven as an air lokker.
Hope I'm helping.

I had links to a tech site in the states, but if you do a search for diff locks on the net, there are heaps of sites.

bay_firey
04-03-2005, 02:30 PM
GBC
Thanks for that.
I am, I think, a bit more enlightened now >:(

Needmorerum
05-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Mark, your a local CQ guy now aren't you? Give us a yell sometime and we will go for a run in my Cruiser and I'll show you how lockers work.
You can drop into ARB Rocky, on Gladstone Road, and they have an air locker demo in there. It is sectionised version that allows you to see the internals and how they work. ARB are also marketing an air locker that with little mods will be able to be taken from vehicle to vehicle shortly as well.

Corry

PS. If you read this before Sunday, I will be in Rocky for the Rally X at the end of Key Street.