PDA

View Full Version : Cape York

reefraider_II
01-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Well I was just wondering who is making the trip up north this year.I plan on leaving Brisbane Late April and slowly making my way up north.I will be stopping at Bundaberg first for a few days to check it out then up then to 1770.After that it will be take my time to get all the way up.I plan on spending at least a week around Airlie and other fishing areas I wanted to try.I will only have a 12ft tinnie for the trip.If any one has any pointers or even things I should and shouldnt do please let me know I have never travelled up there before so I am open to any comment.
I have a "Outback Camper" trailer its a 4x4 offroad trailer it has At's on it and weighs about 900kg.It has a solid axel with leaf springs.I am undecided if I will take it up to the Cape through all the corrigations as it has no shokies should this be a problem?
I am not to worried towing it through creeks as it has proven itself to be water and 99%dustproof.
Has anyone else taken a camper trailer up and how did you find this trip?
Like I said earlier any comments appreciated
regards Marty

Big_Kev
02-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Marty, I think that a week at Airlie is to long. It is very backpacker and touristy, some time at Hinchinbrook (Lucinda,Cardwell) would be worth spending some time at as well.

Big_Kev
02-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Marty, I think that a week at Airlie is to long. It is very backpacker and touristy, some time at Hinchinbrook (Lucinda,Cardwell) would be worth spending some time at as well.

reefraider_II
03-03-2005, 02:37 AM
Ok thanks for the advice, by the way the tyres fit great under the trailer! I remember you telling me you were doing a trip up, when are you heading up?

Big_Kev
04-03-2005, 04:49 PM
More then likely in June if I can swing it.

Forgot to mention but, the scenery in Airlie is pretty good. Just make sure the missus dosen't see you looking.

jimbamb
05-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Dont forget prossy dam is only 30 odd kays from airlie beach,prob a big barra with ya name on it there.Spend a week at camp kanga.,beets birdwatchin smelly backpackers.

Big_Kev
05-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah I guess your right Jim.
Like the old saying goes "if its got tits or wheels - it will give you trouble".
I guess the Barra wins.

Needmorerum
05-03-2005, 07:58 PM
By all the way up, I take it your talking Punsand Bay or Seisia. Which way are you planning on going, up the Telegraph Track (OTL) or the Bypass roads. The OTL has less corrugations, but takes longer. Are you going for the fishing or the 4WD'ing.
Two places I would definately look at spending some time, one, Elliot Falls. No fishing here, but one of the most picturesque places in Aus.
The other is Virilya Point, just south of the Jardine River on the Western coast. From past trips to the top, all 18 of them now, there isn't to much on the East coast that I would fight to go back to, but in saying that, I have some wonderfull memories of the Pascoe River on the Frenchmans track from Moreton Station to Lockhart, and Bathurst Bay.
I would try and steer away from towing a trailer, seen to many on the side of the road. One way to turn a great experience into a nightmare.

Hope this helps
Corry

reefraider_II
07-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks fellas my list of places to see is growing bigger! I think I will try and find somewhere to leave the camper trailer in Cooktown .Its just me and the mrs so maybe even going west from cooktown and through onto darwin might be the way to go and leave the Cape for a trip with a few 4x4 and more blokes thatway if the going gets tough I dont have that whiny voice in the passenger seat telling me about every corrigation! No she isnt that bad but maybe a trip worth leaving to a group of blokes?