PDA

View Full Version : Dual Cab  Rodeo or Navarra

devocean
23-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Dont really post on this section much but I have a dilemma. Want to buy a dual cab four wheel drive diesel because the commodore is coping to much of a hiding.

I have narrowed it down to either the Rodeo or the Nissan Navarra. The rodeo is cheaper but the navarra looks better and Im told has more power and clearance.

However I reckon you cant falter those Izuzu motors. Iam also told that the Navara also rusts out quicker than the Rodeo. I'm not bagging out anyones forbe but Im just after some adevice before I part with 30 to 40 grand

bay_firey
23-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Devo
I have just been through the process, replacing a commodore wagon with a dual cab, unfortunatley the new vehicle fell through # ??? and I had to go second hand.
When I thought I was buying new it was a very hard descision. #:-/
I had decided on the Navara, just felt a better rig to drive, not that you really get much of an idea on a new car test drive.
When I entered the secondhand market availability of good rigs was scarce.
I purchased a '99 Rodeo styleside 2.8lt turbo deisel. <--- See avatar Pic. What a great rig, towed my polycraft, about 700kg, to 1770 M&G from Rocky. What a delight, wish someone had put me onto the Turbo deisel for towing a long time ago.
But I digress, which is better- Rodeo or Navara
If your are going secondhand, take the vehicle on its individual merits
If buying new, I think I would still go for the Navara
Bet all that really helps ::) ::)

eggbeater
24-02-2005, 02:06 PM
G'day Devocean. Mate I personally own a 2.8 dualcab Hilux but work on Isuzu vehicles day in day out. I am yet to see a 4JB1-T engine which is the 2.8 diesel in the TF Rodeo fail on its own accord. I have rebuilt plenty that have been thru water,been dusted & just down right neglected.They are extremely reliable with strong a drivetrain.
IMO I wold buy a TF rodeo before a current RA Rodeo as the 4JHI-TC engine in the RA has a electronic/computer controlled injector pump which doesn't tollerate the slightest bit of sh!t in the fuel system. Pumps are approx $6000 to replace.
Apart from the injector pump & the engine size they are the same engine.
As for the Navara , well your on your own there as i haven't had too much to do with them.
Hope this helps in some way. Cheers

devocean
25-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Awesome is this the same motor that is in the Jackeroos as my father in law has had a similiar problem with the latest model Nullabor. I know they dont make them any more.

Cheers for the advice
Dan

eggbeater
25-02-2005, 05:08 PM
G'day Dan.The 1998 on Jackaroo has a 4JX1 common rail 3.0 litre twin cam alloy headed diesel engine, which is turbo charged &intercooled.. This engine doesn't have an injector pump. They are totally different engine.

Black_Jack
25-02-2005, 06:27 PM
I have a rodeo and its great, but if i was replacing it i would have to look at the navara is it has a better towing capacity.

seqfisho
26-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Devocean,

Im currently selling my Rodeo Crewcab, and the only reason is that the missus wont drive a manual and since I got the company car I cant justify it sitting in the garage taking up the space, it is a V6 petrol, but it has been faultless in the time Ive had it, never misses a beat or given any trouble over the 100K kms it has covered, if it was an auto then there would be no doubt that the missu's tojo would be on the market and not my baby. ::)

The only bad thing that I have heard about the Navaras (current shape) is that their suspension is soft, and really need aftermarket kits if you are carrying loads or offroading. If the diesel motor is anything like the 3lt in the patrols then they should be a corker. ;D

waznot
27-02-2005, 03:31 AM
devo, have you ruled out the toyota hilux, did u have a squizz at these. great ground clearance, and in that price range. i looked for ages when buying mine, was about to buy new, but then found a 3ltr turbo 15 months old with all the extras on it already, so i bought it, and honestly mate i am real happy with it. towed the off road box trailer setup with tinny on top up the starcke river track, and was impressed with the pulling power.see how you go, sounds like youv got your heart set on nissan or holden already. good luck :)

simon
27-02-2005, 09:44 AM
devocean, my brother and i have 2 nissan navaras turbo diesels plus a 3ltr patrol wagon and could not be happier.
they go great on the beach and have the highest tow rating in their class. we tow our 8mtr plate boat full of fuel and fishing gear,and they sit on 110kms-120kms no worries ;D ;D
GO THE NAVVY [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Lucky_Phill
27-02-2005, 01:48 PM
If you are serious and ' in the market " now, for a 4 x 4. I may be able to help you.

I have a 2002 Navara 3.0ltr Turbo. Dual cab etc etce.

and I bought it for well, let's say, $12,000 under retail.

Now, I don't want to sell you mine, but there are 2 available soon. A silver one, and a Maroon one. 2003/04 models. 1 is a STR, both duals and 3.0ltr turbo.

SCOTTYGC bought one from me mate a little while ago, as did 2 of my work mates. These vehicles will be 10 grand less than in a car yard.

If ya keen, pm me.

Phill

Lucky_Phill
27-02-2005, 01:51 PM
btw, they have a 130kw engine and 3 tonne towing capacity. around 10.5l/100k's. Drive like a car.

Phill

tangles21
27-02-2005, 05:33 PM
MMM last time i looked they where they where110kw.I have had my str navara for two years from new and cant fault it except for first gear not being geared low enough.I tow a work trailer every day and you wouldnt hardly know its there.
im in the same sort of dillema as i want a wagon and dont know weather to get a patrol or a cruiser.
If you have an abn you can get national fleet discount This Knocked about 9 grand of the price of a new one .

cheers leigh

mini696
01-03-2005, 08:08 AM
# # # # # If you have an abn you can get national fleet discount This Knocked about 9 grand of the price of a new one .

# # # # # # # cheers leigh

Is that for new ones only?

tangles21
02-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Yes it is for new ones only [smiley=bigcry.gif]
gives you a good excuse to get a new one.
cheers leigh

tele
04-03-2005, 06:08 PM
To Lucky_Phill Hi there enquiring about the Navvara for sale...... they sound too good to be true....very serious about them as looking to purchase one very soon. Would love to know more...at vtele@aapt.net.au

Thanks Tele

caveman
06-03-2005, 09:26 AM
if engine noide is anything to go by get the nissan as i work on the roads and you can hear the rodeos a long way off before the nissan, the new rodeos seem to have the loudest diesel motor out of them all, i own a 2.8turbo triton and it seems in some ways better than the v6 i had and others worse but it does hold its speed going up hills(empty) haven't done much towing so far

SCOTTYGC
09-03-2005, 05:43 PM
as phil said i bought a car of his mate and no complaints here
the nissan drives like a car and towed the tinnie full of beer up to 1770 from the gold coast no problems at all

if ya looking for a car drop phil a line and his mate will do the right thing

scotty

davo
10-03-2005, 05:22 AM
I wouldn't right off the Bravo or Triton. I know a few blokes with the turbo Bravos and they are very happy. I managed to pick up a turbo Triton second hand and use it to tow my Fisher 4.8M. Mate nothing tows like it. Two blokes at work have the Navara's and they love them too. What I liked about Triton and Mazda was they are still mechanical injection and for the Triton they are tried and proven technology. Having said that I had a Rodeo before the Triton and it was excellent.

I wasn't too pleased about the electronic 4WD selection on the new Rodeo's though. Mate have a good look at all of them.

Dezmo
11-03-2005, 04:46 PM
This months 4x4 monthly did a comparo on three dual cab utes including the two vehicles you are considering.

From memory the Navara came up trumps overall.