PDA

View Full Version : Land Cruiser 60 series???

Osman_Gurkan
29-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi,I had a dream of buying a 80 series gxl turbo diesel land cruiser but i think I have to postpone that dream for a while since I will not be able to afford it.So Next best thing;do I go for 60 series turbo diesel?I like a power in my car and I dont want to feel like I am driving a old bomb!!!I see there are 1985-88 turbo diesel land cruisers for my budget (which is around 12000). Is there any one out there that can advise me on this piece of machine?how it runs?Does it feel like you are driving an old bomb?or is it one of those land cruiser feelings that no matter which one u love it???Thx...

FLATHEAD1
30-03-2005, 03:44 AM
The 60 series was a good old truck. However for the same amount of money I would be looking at the GQ Nissan.

The diesel 4.2 litre is the way to go. You should be able to pick up a later year in good condition.

Cheers
FH1

Osman_Gurkan
30-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Thx Flat,

Does GQ come in turbo diesel?What year should i go for?

phil_the_greek
30-03-2005, 07:54 AM
well i certainly wouldnt be limiting my self just because i want a land cruiser i used to fell exactly the same way untill i sat down and had a good hard look at what everyone offers and realisticaly what you need hence how i went from nearly spending 35 thou on a 75 series ute.
to owning the best car of my life the disco
most comfortable ive riden in
went every where any one elses went
all the bells and whisles
plenty of get up and go
and i saved my self over 15k on the loan

all im saying is dont be blinded by wants rather than needs

phil

FLATHEAD1
30-03-2005, 09:02 AM
The 4.2 was not turbo. The RX model released in jan 1995 had a 2.8 litre turbo. They developed similar hp though. The RX would be out of your budget.

Safari developed an after market turbo for the 4.2 and was very sucessful.

The GQ is all coil sprung and practically mechanically indestructible.

Cheers
FH1

Osman_Gurkan
30-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Thx for that phil...
You sound like my father,you are rigth I am a bit blinded with the idea of a land cruiser...Thx Mate...U greek by the way?which part?
well i certainly wouldnt be limiting my self just because i want a land cruiser i used to fell exactly the same way untill i sat down and had a good hard look at what everyone offers and realisticaly what you need hence how i went from nearly spending 35 thou on a 75 series ute.
to owning the best car of my life the disco
most comfortable ive riden in
went every where any one elses went
all the bells and whisles
plenty of get up and go
and i saved my self over 15k on the loan

all im saying is dont be blinded by wants rather than needs

phil

Big_Kev
30-03-2005, 02:16 PM
The 60 series does come in a Turbo diesel. fitted with the 12ht Toyota engine.
The later models (62 series) do feel a lot more modern inside then the earlier(updated dash). For 12 grand you will expect to pick up a very good example turbo Sahara with plenty of goodies, and you should consider an import. Get a good one now and you will sell it no worries in a couple of years and get nearly all your cabbage back if you look after it, (more so then other manufactures). But it can take some looking.
The ride of the 60 is a little harsh with the leaf springs compared to the present day 4x4, but can be improved fairly cheap.
Expect about 8km/ltr or 13ltr /100km
Other then that they are more then capable to fill your 4x4 requirements.

phil_the_greek
30-03-2005, 04:43 PM
nah man not greek but just the last nick name i could think of
im actualy phillip thompson which is what i normaly go by
but as there is a philip thomson it wasd gunna cause isues i think

phil

Osman_Gurkan
30-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Thank you.

You seem to understand what i meant in my question.I have driven a 94 gxl petrol and it felt like a tank but was very easy to handle and drive.is 60 or 62 series similar,of course I can not expect it to be the same but after all there is nearly 10 years difference in age.What do u mean by improve the suspension system?How cheap?One more question,will I be making a mistake if I bought a early 90 s petrol land cruiser for about 13.000 AUD considering its done 350.000 kms and in fair to good condition?

Thx for your help...

The 60 series does come in a Turbo diesel. fitted with the 12ht Toyota engine.
The later models (62 series) do feel a lot more modern inside then the earlier(updated dash). For 12 grand you will expect to pick up a very good example turbo Sahara with plenty of goodies, and you should consider an import. Get a good one now and you will sell it no worries in a couple of years and get nearly all your cabbage back if you look after it, (more so then other manufactures). But it can take some looking.
The ride of the 60 is a little harsh with the leaf springs compared to the present day 4x4, but can be improved fairly cheap.
Expect about 8km/ltr or 13ltr /100km
Other then that they are more then capable to fill your 4x4 requirements. #

Big_Kev
31-03-2005, 12:20 PM
The 62 is essentialy the same as the 60, it is just the later model run of the vehicle, released in the late 1980's.
It has square headlights and more molded styling to the dash and seats are better etc. Take one for a test drive they are in the car yards all around the place.
The suppension can be improved by using longer hangers and removing a leaf or two from the packs and getting a softer ride,particularly with the rear packs.
If you can do this yourself it will work out cheap.
Stay away from that early 90's Cruiser, it has to many k's for a petrol motor and the fuel consumption is bad on the petrol cruisers.(unless you don't do to many miles or own a servo)
A better option then that old Cruiser would be a Jeep Cherokee.
For 13000 or less, you would get a 95-97 sport with around 120000k on it, and it would be in tip top condition.
Excelent 4x4 with plenty of comfort and grunt, but will only get 14lt/100k at best and about 17lt/100k in town.
Cheers Kev. 8)

Osman_Gurkan
31-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Thx again for all the info Kev.

One last question to you and I will leave you alone.Promise :)

I have found a 1995 GXL Land cruiser turbo diesel 342.000 kms for 19.000 AUD.I know that is high kms and the price for a land cruiser this model should be about 25 to 30 000 AUD.The car is in great condition inside and out,the owner needs money urgently,is it worth me flying down to brisbane(I am in townsville) get a racq mechanic with me to check this car out.Allthough it is beyond my bugdet but if its worth the money I can get funds.I incl a picture of this car,sorry to keep on asking you all these questions if we do meet one day I will buy the drinks!!!

Once again thx for your help...

The 62 is essentialy the same as the 60, it is just the later model run of the vehicle, released in the late 1980's.
It has square headlights and more molded styling to the dash and seats are better etc. Take one for a test drive they are in the car yards all around the place.
The suppension can be improved by using longer hangers and removing a leaf or two from the packs and getting a softer ride,particularly with the rear packs.
If you can do this yourself it will work out cheap.
Stay away from that early 90's Cruiser, it has to many k's for a petrol motor and the fuel consumption is bad on the petrol cruisers.(unless you don't do to many miles or own a servo)
A better option then that old Cruiser would be a Jeep Cherokee.
For 13000 or less, you would get a 95-97 sport with around 120000k on it, and it would be in tip top condition.
Excelent 4x4 with plenty of comfort and grunt, but will only get 14lt/100k at best and about 17lt/100k in town.
Cheers Kev. #8)

Big_Kev
31-03-2005, 02:37 PM
It looks good.
If it is a good clean straight car and runs/drives well then I would say if you are happy get it.
I think it would sell in a yard for 25k.
The milage is above average.
What suburb is it in?
I might be able to have a quck once over.

Fishin_Dan
02-04-2005, 09:00 AM
Osman - I own an 84 60 series (Round Headlights) and I love the thing! The only downsides to them are the body roll you get in corners (I've got Rancho 9000X shockers in mine which helps a bit) and the low end torque. They are just not quite as torquey as they should be. You would be better off looking at a Troop Carrier of around the same age that has the 4.2L Diesel. My 60 is a turbo 4L and although it does get up and go, it just doesnt quite have the bottom end pull that it needs. The 4.2L was an absolute monster, and you could use it to move house by tying a rope around your house, and draggin the thing to another block of land!!! ;D

I've tricked my 60 series up abit, and she definately goes well, and will go some places others might not make, but there has been a fair bit of work done. Just some of the mods are 33" BFG M/T wheels all round, Rancho 9000X adjustable shockers all round, duel fuel tanks, after market turbo, 2" raised King leafsprings, etc, etc.

They can be a great car no doubt, but if I had my time over, I'd probably do similar mods to a troopy and end up with a much tougher car.

Osman_Gurkan
02-04-2005, 06:40 PM
The car is in palmwoods,I am flying down to brisbane next wednesday to have a look at it.Come out if u fancy a drink that I promised you...

It looks good.
If it is a good clean straight car and runs/drives well then I would say if you are happy get it.
I think it would sell in a yard for 25k.
The milage is above average.
What suburb is it in?
I might be able to have a quck once over.

FLATHEAD1
02-04-2005, 07:01 PM
I reckon the 80 series is the best 4x4.

If the vehicle is in good condition, has been well maintained and if you can stretch yourself financially go for it.

Far better than a 60 series or GQ.

Cheers
FH1