PDA

View Full Version : State of Cobar - Louth Road, NSW

Kerobe
21-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Just came back from a week fishing the Darling River at Louth. Had the misfortune of having to travel the Cobar Louth Road to get there and back though. In over 30 years of driving this road, I have never seen in such a bad state. It is torn up terribly in sections and in fact down to one lane in sections. The road is used extensively by stock transports and visibility is poor in some sections due to bull dust. If you are planning to travel up the road, look for the table drain sections and jump down into them, they are in pretty good condition. Best advice is just take it easy or your suspension might not join you when you stop. No doubt it will be graded before the races in August, but before that it will only get worse and if it should rain it could be impassible.

finding_time
21-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Kerobe
I have spent a bit of time down that way myself. I generally go through Walgett-Brewarrina-Bourke-Louth. The problems with roads down that way are that if it rains it only takes 1 or 2 roadtrains to travel over it before the road is closed and it is cut up beyond recognition.

Last september i drove between Bourke and Wilcannia in 2hr 50min it's 330km's and on other occasions that same trip has taken 6+ hours That's Australia for you.