PDA

View Full Version : Is a Toyota Hilux Surf any good?

Jason173
07-04-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm looking to buy a dual cab 4wd in the near future which will at times need to be able to tow a 5.3 metre fibreglass boat. Would a hilux surf have enough power to do this ??? I was interested in this model because of the closed in back as it will also be used as family car and should be ok to throw gear in the back for camping trips.

Does anyone know of any problems or limitations with this 4WD ??? I have a limited amount of money to spend, probably around $12000 :-/

Y-Not
07-04-2005, 10:10 AM
The surf would do the job, not brilliantly but it would do it. I use a Mitsibishi Challenger same sort of capability to tow an old 5 metre cruise craft. I looked at the Surfs but was scared off by the cost of insurance and some parts as mechanically they are not the same as the hilux's sold here in Oz. I found a lot of insurance companies will not touch them when i made my enquiries 12 months ago

fatboy74
07-04-2005, 02:49 PM
If u are after one i have a mate with one that he wants to sell .Its auto 2.4 lt turbo gose pretty good.

Jason173
07-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the heads up Y-Not 8)

Is an auto worth getting over a manual?

MTpockets
07-04-2005, 11:29 PM
I own a Surf and belong to a web based forum for The Australian Toyota Surf Owners.
You would be able to look up anything you want concerning these trucks at our website.
I own a 2.4 LTE auto and I absolutly love its ability on and off road. The Surf is rated to tow 1500 kgs. You will be able to buy a good one for 12k in the 2.4 range. If you have a bit more cash you could go for the 3 Litre version, and they have heaps of grunt to tow a boat. Dont be fooled by what some people may tell you about their ability off road, as I can tell you they are a very capable off road 4wd, and with a few mods can get you to most places.
Also with the Surf being a grey import they have a reputation about hard to get parts for. This is all hogwash and most parts can be bought over the Toyota spare parts counter. They are almost the same as the Aussie 4 runner, but run a 2.4 or 3 ltr diesel. Parts for these engines are also very easy to get. Browse our website and ask questions mate, there are hundreds of members there and your qustions will get answered.
In regards to insurance, most of the 4wd insurance companies cover the Surf, along with Suncorp however they are more expensive and only pay out on red book values. The surf isnt in the red book so they only pay out on wholesale value :(
We at the site deal with Unique Car Insurance and just by being a member of the Surf website, they do a better deal.
I am with Unique and they charge me $480 per year, and cover me on OR offroad. $500 excess, and another $500 excess for off road. They pay out on agreed value, not red book. Pretty good I think. Why not check out their website as well.
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/Unique/uci.html

Here is the site and contact me if you want when you get there. I am MTpockets there too.
Here is the address.

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/index.php

cheers
Les

fatboy74
07-04-2005, 11:52 PM
I think my mate wants about $12000 for his one.

Jason173
08-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks Les. I'll be sure and check out the site and...
Thanks fatboy74 but I'm just looking for info atm.

visarend
21-04-2005, 09:40 AM
I bought my 1990 model 2.4 TD Surf in 2000. Done 120k without any serious problems. Excellent on and off road. I buy most of my spares from Repco in Underwood – for specific Toyota parts I contact Old Mac Toyota. Tows OK.

bustycamper
22-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi

I own a surf 2.4 ltr and am finding its going through the diesel at an alarming rate - especially driving around town. Only get about 340 - 360 klms out of a tank. Longer trips are a little better. Have asked a few places if they can "tune it" but was told no as its an all sealed unit and they can't access the computer components. If anyone can help with any suggestions that would be terrific....

Thanks
Busty

MTpockets
22-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi

I own a surf 2.4 ltr and am finding its going through the diesel at an alarming rate - especially driving around town. #Only get about 340 - 360 klms out of a tank. #Longer trips are a little better. #Have asked a few places if they can "tune it" but was told no as its an all sealed unit and they can't access the computer components. #If anyone can help with any suggestions that would be terrific....

Thanks
Busty
Please visit the Toyota Surf Owners website and ask your question there. You will get the answer you seek, and you can also search the site for other discussions about your problem.
http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/index.php

cheers
Les

bustycamper
22-04-2005, 09:48 AM
THANKS LES!

BUSTY

MTpockets
22-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Just to add to above message, are you getting that milage at the fuel light, or a full 65 litres? When the fuel light comes on its used 55 litres and you have 10 litres left in the tank. I get around 400 per 55 litres and that is considered normal.
You may need to replace your air filter and fuel filter.
cheers
les