PDA

View Full Version : Where to go 4wd-ing? Sunshine Coast area.

mini696
25-05-2005, 08:56 AM
I have recently bought a 4wd and want to know of a few areas close to home where I can go and have a bit of a blast.

There are two categories

1) After work/waste an hour spots.
2) Weekender/daytrip spots.

Cat. 1) It needs to be close to Maroochydore, Caloundra, Mooloolaba, and good for a bit of a muck around.

Cat. 2) I want to find a few areas where I can travel to in a couple of hours (Mt Mee, Glasshouse etc). Either a daytrip or overnighter. Must have a bit of 4wd-ing and some form of entertainment (a creek/walking track/plunge pool etc) at the destination (think of an area like Boolumba Creek/Obi Obi).

Are there any 4wd tracks near Wappa falls?

What books/maps would you recommend I buy?

I have a copy of "Dirty Weekends" which seems to be a good book, but the tracks seem to be very 'soft'. Has anyone else got this book? If you do, have you used it, and are there more difficult tracks than the ones shown?

Mick

seqfisho
26-05-2005, 06:23 AM
Hi Mick,

Plenty of varied stuff in the state forests in your general area, but you need to get all your permits from the EPA, they are free from the naturally queensland center in the city or you can ring them and do it by fax like I did. They last for as long as your rego and cost nothing, also give a reasonable idea of areas.
I've found everything from mild to wild in the forest areas, so you could spend an hour or two or a weekend depending on what you want to do.
You'll also find plenty of not so soft tracks in some of the areas mentioned in the dirty w/ends books, just got to explore a little, other than that join your local 4wd club, I'm sure they will have plenty of info.

Glen.

mini696
26-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks Glen. I'll give them a call.

I really appreciate the help.

adrian
26-05-2005, 07:54 AM
caloundra 4wd club sounds like the one for you .

mini696
26-05-2005, 08:20 AM
Are you a member?
Do you have their phone number?

Caloundra City 4Wd CLUB
Meets first Tuesday of Month at North Caloundra Surf CLUB. 30 vehicle members. One day trip and one camping weekend undertaken per month in the Sunshine Coast area.
Po Box 765 CALOUNDRA QLD 4551
Phone: (07)54506172 Fax: (07)54506295

mini696
26-05-2005, 09:47 AM
OK...

I have been on the phone all lunch and came up with a few hot points.

1. You'll need a "Traverse Permit" to enter the State forests and reserves. I had them emailed to me (you have to phone the governement and they'll put you through to the EPA) - 32277111 or 32277800.

2. World wide maps in Brisbane have copies of the parks in stock. They suggest I get the 1:50,000 topographic maps of the forests in SEQ.

3. The number I gave you for the Caloundra 4x4 Club is wrong.

Mick