PDA

View Full Version : Slimming down... (the ute needs a diet).

mini696
25-05-2005, 05:23 AM
As you may or may not know I recently bought a ute with a trayback.

I want to slim the tray down to the width of the cab (about a foot overall).

Has anyone done this before?

I was going to cut a strip from the centre and join the two halves back together. The other option is to remove the tray sides, cut the floor, and reattach the sides (of course I still have to cut and weld the rear 'door'.

Ideas anyone??

Mick

seqfisho
26-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Hi Mick,

If its an ally tray I think the easiest way would be to trim the amount from each side, the headboard and rear tray tailgate all the fittings should just bolt back on the shortend parts.

Glen.

mini696
26-05-2005, 07:18 AM
That seems to be the most favourite idea.

I dont think anyone has liked the idea of cutting the guts out.

blaze
26-05-2005, 09:49 AM
cut the guts, a lot less work putting the two bits back together, 2 cuts 1 weld
cheers
blaze

bay_firey
27-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Blaze
If you just cut the guts, will the bearers on the tray still line up with the chassis rails ??,
Or would mini have to take the tray off the bearers and then refit in the right position

mini696
28-05-2005, 03:27 AM
I had a good look over it yesterday. If I cut it down the middle, I would have to also cut a lot of ribs.

Taking the sides in would be the way.

I'm thinking about ditching the idea totally, taking it off, and building a neat one without sides.

blaze
28-05-2005, 05:48 PM
bayfiry
didnt have me thinking hat on, your spot on
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
29-05-2005, 02:48 AM
I had a good look over it yesterday. #If I cut it down the middle, I would have to also cut a lot of ribs.

Taking the sides in would be the way.

I'm thinking about ditching the idea totally, taking it off, and building a neat one without sides.

Making a new one sounds like a good idea to me. A lot of work involved in cutting it down. probably sell the old one for the materials to build the new one.
A stepside can look neat.

mini696
31-05-2005, 04:02 AM
I think I might just use the thing before I go changing any more.