PDA

View Full Version : New shock absorbers?

Richo1
01-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Hi all, I'm looking for some new shock absorbers to fit myself. Any recommendations to suit my trusty Patrol. Had Old Man Emus on the front and stock standards on the back when I bought it. Had no problems with them just that now they are stuffed with 225k on the clock!

Thanks Richo

jimbamb
01-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Mate,
Ive had OME s on a hilux and was pretty happy with them.can get a bit noisy but still worked.Had them too hot to touch up cape york in the corrugations (worst ones ive ever been on)but still worked .I think monroe make OMEs thats why they are noisy....
Also had Pedders on a forerunner.Worked pretty well but i recon they transmitted too much feel in shallow corrugations .really good on heavy goin tho
Hope this helps

Daintreeboy
01-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Mate I've got OME on my Patrol and reckon they are the best. Some others don't seem to stand up the the harsh conditions up this way, especially the corrugations on the cape.
Cheers, Mark.

Big_Kev
01-06-2005, 02:21 PM
The whole suspension will need a look at with those sort of miles on it.
There are plenty around that will give you good advice on the right way to go.
Monroes or Old Man Emu are what I have always used.

snapattack
02-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Want to really get serious then fit ranchos. The rancho 9000's are fully adjustable with an option for in cab adjustment for the serious 4x4er.

SURF_SNIPER
02-06-2005, 02:28 PM
one of the best shocks for ride ive ever used were konis, awesome ride and comfort and there adjustable.. i found them better then the old man emu's that craped themselves . Arb replaced both OME rear shocks as they were stuffed after about 1 months of 4wding. i now use custom built tough dog shocks on the rear and OME shocks on the front ment for a 3inch lifted cruiser.

Very happy, but just using the old man emu's as i need to maximise every inch of my front end wheel travel and the make the best fiiting shock for the purpose.

if your truck is leaf sprung, shock brands arent as important as the leafsprings takes most of the punisment all will do the job fine.

if your truck is coil sprung fit a realy good set as they cop a realy big hiding as there is greater pressures on the shocks, look and compare bore size, if there double skined, piston thickness and if there a gass or just oil or a foam truck type shock. also check what there compressed and extended lengths are as these all differ and another shock my give you more wheel travel then another.

Drew :)

Richo1
02-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Mine is coil sprung, I'm not into hard core 4wd(unless it gets me to a good fishing spot) mostly corrugated roads and beach stuff. It has a 3inch lift with series 2000 coils, how do I tell if the coils are stuffed?
I've had the car since 80 000k and done nothing to the suspension except add Polyair Bags in the rear coils to lift it when I'm fully loaded.

Cheers Richo

Big_Kev
02-06-2005, 11:28 PM
If the spring heights are still OK you should be fine to just install new shocks, since you have fitted better springs and replaced the crap factory units.
Don't forget to get shocks with longer travel to suit the raised suspension. EFS seem to always get a good plug from 4x4 enthusiasts, Carolls springs at Wacol sell them along with many of the off road outlets. :D

Daintreeboy
03-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Want to really get serious then fit ranchos. The rancho 9000's are fully adjustable with an option for in cab adjustment for the serious 4x4er.

Some hard core 4WDers have reported some real problems with these. They may sound good but have not stood up to the corrigations of the cape so they switched to OME and were happy.
Cheers, Mark.

Richo1
04-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks all, went for the OME Nitrochargers, fitted them tonight.

Daintreeboy
04-06-2005, 06:02 PM
excellent choice, keep us posted on how they go.
Cheers, Mark.