PDA

View Full Version : Canning Stock Route

waznot
20-05-2005, 04:21 PM
hi all, just wondering if anyone out there has ever conquered this major feat, thats right..THE CANNING!! I am starting to plan a trip next year, probably around august. I have read about it and it's just something that i reckon would be very rewarding to do. there would be 3 vehicles going, 2 with winches, and 1 with a HF radio. Not to sure about the fuel situation, have heard that you need to organize a fuel drop half way as it is about 1200 km between fuel points.anyhow, please give any info you have

cheers,

wazza. ;)

finding_time
21-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Can't help you with the canning, but have spent a bit of time in the area.And my two tips are
1. You can't carry enough spare tyres.( NO rims just tyres +bead breakers and leavers)
2. Carry the epirb from your boat.
I have meet many poeple that own a boat and epirb but didn't think to pack it when they travelled to the desert.

SCOTTYGC
22-05-2005, 07:08 AM
i spent a bit of time around wiluna
if you go to the pub there say hi to pete great guy

take lots of water and spare tyres and check in at the wiluna police and let them know

and a tip for any kiwis reading
THE CANNING STOCK ROUTE IS NOT A ANNUAL EVENT

have fun
scotty

waznot
22-05-2005, 04:51 PM
;D, thanks guys for the tips, very good idea about the epirb too. yes i realize that a trip of this calibre takes a lot of planning. have a year or so to do it though.

glenpandrews
31-05-2005, 09:28 AM
My old man did the canning, loved it and didnt have any major dramas. Though he did plan it meticulously.

One point to note, he took 3 spares and used all of them.

Glen

glenpandrews
31-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Spare tyres that is. He also found it useful having an aerial designed for dunes rather than the road, ad the road aerials dont seem to work too well when steaming full speed over a steep dune.

Glen

gunna
02-06-2005, 10:56 AM
If all goes to plan I will be doing it around the same time next year. I haven't done too much research at this stage - but I do like the CD's maps for laptops that I've seen. Lots of good info in them & matched with GPS it takes any navigation hassles away. Lots of planning to come yet though.

max
08-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Hi wazza this should give you most what you need to know. should be with you

Max

max
08-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Bet to add this http://www.diamantina-tour.com.au/index1.asp