PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Weipa

Osman_Gurkan
25-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Hi Guys,

Finally got my 4 WD and boat,and now it is time to go fishing.
I want to drive up to weipa next sunday(3.7.2005)towing a boat with my land cruiser,everyone sais something different.I am posting for you to see the boat and the car,can some one please give me proper advice on if I can tow this boat up there or do i need to put land cruiser wheels on? Or Do i not bother at all???

Thx all.

Zeeke
25-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Mate.. unless you want a broken boat.. dont bother.. if you seriously want to do the journey with your boat.. drive to cairns or townsville? and stick it on a ferry and then drive the rest of the way and get ur boat at weipa.. the trailer and boat will not last.. the corrugations i have heard are so rough, it shakes everything to pieces..

Tim

Brian
26-06-2005, 12:27 PM
I am no expert by a long shot but my mate have done that trip for fishing some 10 odd times now and is going again in October.

The first trip was an eye opener so to speak for him. Now his rig (4.5m) has extra braces installed for a start. The motor has a full cover and taped on (so no dust gets in) with the support bracket beefed up to take the weight of the motor. As he says it MUST be secured to prevent damage. His mate last year took his rig (brand new motor) and did not cover the motor as well as my mate and it moved in the support bracket and the dust got in the greese and by the time he returned it looked like a 20 year old motor and ended up selling it on return.

The boat he has a full support for the keel at least and a good boat cover.

The trailer he has the same wheels as his vehicle. I can only suggest as with the vehicle check it over every stop and take spares.

How long are you hoping to take to get to Weipa? I would check the cost of the ferry as zeeke indicated may save you a lot of heartache in the end.

Maybe worth contacting RACQ and get a road report for Cairns to Weipa which may help you in deciding.

Good luck and have a ball, I am heading up in August.

Brian

Brian
26-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Oh by the way can I come ;D ;D ;D don't eat much hmm well i do if its nice and only drink on days ending Y ;D ;D, hardly know i was there.

Brian

Big_Kev
27-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Where's the pic of the tow Cruiser?
We want to see it as well.

Osman_Gurkan
27-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Well,

Thx guys looks like I will not be able to take the boat up,from what i heard from you lot and asking around i have changed my destination to cook town.Any of you out there knows some good fishing spots up that way and a goos caravan park???

Thx ...

PS..This is the cruiser by the way.