PDA

View Full Version : Improved performance in dry sand.

saphire
04-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Hello Everybody,
I have a Santa Fe. I was thinking of getting it lifted so that it will handle better in dry sand. The problem is that getting it lifted will not make the chasis any higher which is what I would like to achieve. I was thinking of getting bigger tyres to solve the problem. Do you think getting bigger tyres will give more space under the car and give better performance in dry sand? I look forward to reading your opinion.
All the best,
saphire [smiley=balloon3.gif]

mackmauler
04-06-2005, 03:43 PM
They probably perform really well while being snatched out by a landy, save ya money just get another snatch strap.

NeilD
05-06-2005, 03:54 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SURF_SNIPER
05-06-2005, 06:32 AM
bigger tyres may help but dont know if a santa fe could handle them, and doubt you could lift it much as there prob allround independent suspension.

snatch strap ;D ;D

Angla
07-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Saphire Take the tyres off the santa Fe and put them onto a 4wd and that should work better on soft sand

Angla ;D ;D ;D ;D

Morlers
10-06-2005, 02:17 PM
On soft sand (and the whole time I'm on Fraser Island) I let my tyres down to 15psi and ensure I have adequate momentum. Rarely have a problem.

:) :)

Morlers

Sportfish_5
10-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Tyre pressure not the main issue here - ground clearance is when driving through sand tracks etc . Tyre size needs to be kept in manufacturers specification otherwise you could have potential driveline problems (not that I know much about a Santa Fe driveline) and even insurance problems if you fit tyres outside the spec.

Cheers

Greg

Angla
25-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Can you put diff locks on the Santa Fe

Angla

PG
26-06-2005, 05:03 AM
why won't the chasis be any higher if you go for a lift? My cruiser is definately higher off the ground all 'round. The only thing still down low is the diff, that's where bigger tyres come in.
Can't see why a lift won't raise the chasis?
How's the suspension? If that has sagged at all, maybe just new or resetting the springs will make enough difference?

SURF_SNIPER
27-06-2005, 11:29 AM
paul, chassi will be higher ( if its got one ) but IFS vechicles arent easy to lift, and just hampers there ability.

saphire
27-06-2005, 06:27 PM
What does IFS mean?
Cheers,
saphire.

MEGA'bite
28-06-2005, 05:28 AM
Larger tyres or lift kits increase the chance of rollovers as it changes the centre of gravitly of the fwd

seabug
28-06-2005, 07:04 AM
What does IFS mean?
Cheers,
saphire.

Hi
Independent Front Suspension
(Not a straight axle like on a truck)
Regards
seabug

Fishinmishin
29-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Saphire,
Wider tyres and lower tyre pressure all increase the foot size and stop from digging into the sand too much. I think a lift kit wouldn't help all that much unless to help with a softer ride. The Santa Fe are a pretty light vehicle but not built for real 4wding.
To turn vehicles like that into something that is made for soft sand, try picking up a spare set of cheap 350 wide tyres and rims or weld a couple old ones together ;D ::) :-X.
Cheers, Jay

saphire
29-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Tyre pressure not the main issue here - ground clearance is when driving through sand tracks etc.............
Cheers

Greg

Greg has hit the problem right on the head here. The main problem is traveling along sand tracks with the centre of the track touching under the car. You have all been terriffic and have given some great advice which I can now work on. Hmmmmmmmmm maybe a big scraper thing on the front will work.
Cheers to you all and thanks for your advice.
saphire.