PDA

View Full Version : Cracked air filter cover

2iar
29-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi,

The wife, who rarely drives my truck, tried to switch from Petrol to LPG on my dual fuel 100 Series Cruiser while it was cold. This caused a noisy backfire, which I think in turn was the cause for the crack in the air filter cover I've now got.

I priced one of these from Toyota, and they were asking over $100, but worse still a couple of the clamps that hold the cover on are also busted. Of course, these are attached to the bottom part of the housing and aren't sold separately...cha ching $800+

I can't see that it's causing any problems (other than cosmetically). It's really just a crack about 4-5 inches long, and not a hole.

Do you think there's any dramas leaving it the way it is - if it needs replacing I'll do it and try to get one from a wreckers, but if it's not causing any problems I'll leave it the way it is...

Thanks,
Mike

kleiny
30-06-2005, 05:07 AM
if where the crack is plastic get it plastic welded shouldn't cost much. as far as the clips no idea.
kleiny

2iar
30-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks again mate,

I had thought of plastic welding (anyone know one around The Gap?), but I was really trying to figure out if it's causing any sort of problem. I can't see that it is, so I probably won't bother - I'll just rig something up with cable ties to replace the busted ties if I can't find anything more suitable at Supercheap or Repco...

Mike

jimbamb
30-06-2005, 04:51 PM
How about usin araldite get a tube and patch ir yourself. practice on an icecream container that you have split first if you aren't confident

2iar
30-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Not a bad idea Jimbamb, thanks for that.

I might do it, but at this stage, even that doesn't look like it's worth the effort - it just doesn't seem to be causing any problems, and no-one I've spoken to seems to think I'll be having any with it.

Good Luck,
Mike