PDA

View Full Version : Toyota PRADO GXL Auto Petrol- Comments Please

Heath
06-06-2005, 05:55 AM
Looking at buying a new Prado.

Just going for the GXL Auto Petrol model, took one for a test drive on Friday & am very impressed.

Anyone round here own one of the latest models?

Interested in owners thoughts, I havn't heard a bad word about them yet.

zulu
07-06-2005, 01:39 AM
G'Day Heath, I had the last model Prado, and when the new one came out took it for a test over a weekend. What can I say, awesome power, if driven sedately not to bad on the fuel. I have 3 mates with new Prados they all swear by them, and the best thing when you go to trade it in they have great resale value,
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Cheers Troy.

whiteman
07-06-2005, 08:55 AM
I got mine in January - petrol GXL. While I haven't bashed it in the bush as yet, it has seen lots of Woolies car parks without any lasting damage.

Really happy with it as it's a pleasure to drive. Does most of its work on the Bruce Highway and overtaking is so easy as the 4l has a heap of power. The 5 speed auto box is faultless. I'm getting 14-15l per km which is as expected. Tows my 5.5m Quinne with little effort.

I've owned previous model Prados and have loved them all so this new one is simply more refined.

If it's in your price range - buy one!

zulu
12-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Heath,
# # # #I was just talking to one of my mates with a Prado, he has had a slight problem with his. The vehicle has a slight vibration problem around 1700 rpm, it appears to be coming from the genuine alloy bullbar, when he took it back to have it rectified [they installed some sought of dampeners], he had a loan of another Prado with bullbar and found that it is doing the same thing. Apparently the dampeners have helped, but the vibration is still noticeable. Don't want to sound nitpicky just thought you might like to know.
Troy

Heath
12-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks Troy.

Was thinking about a bull bar, but have decided I don't need it.

tonyp
13-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Heath,

Are you looking at the newer 4 ltre petrol or the older 3.4 ?

I have had the 3.4 petrol for 4 years and love it. Tows boat great but the headlights Sux big time. #

Went for a drive in my friends newer one and it is sooooooo much better to drive. #:(

The origainal tyres on the newer ones scrub out very quick,,around town anyway. I changed over to the Cooper AT's and could not be happier.

Heath
13-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Buying new Tony,

Have Coopers HT's on the Jackeroo atm & can't beleive how well they have worn. Have already decided to put Coopers on from the word go.

whiteman
15-06-2005, 06:46 AM
No problem with my bullbar. Absolutely necessary item up here as we have a large crowd of roos to get past just to drive into the shed. The wife decided to flatten one in our little Hyundai and did a bit of damage. Like all new cars, you seriously have to look at driving lights if you do time on dark highways. And bullbars are really handy in shopping centres as the rear is protected by the tow ball!

mad_keen
25-06-2005, 09:14 AM
haha..thats pretty funny about the wife flattening the roo!!

i just recently bought a new prado (4L v6) and i love it....have driven both models and have to say that the new one is the way to go...but the older one is still a great car.

am yet to tow the boat with it...and looking forward to it ;)

the resale value on these vehicles seem to be pretty good too....

whiteman
29-06-2005, 06:46 AM
She didn't quite kill the roo and she brought it home in the boot. When I opened the boot it tried to punch the crap out of me. Died a couple of hours later. The local muddies and crows probably had a feast!

gunna
29-06-2005, 11:26 AM
As a ptential buyer of a 2nd hand one in a few months - can I ask - what year/model did they change from 3.4L to 4L ??

Heath
29-06-2005, 06:25 PM
2004 model I think.

frankj
30-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Heath

I have had three Prado's, the 3.4L, the 3.0L turbo diesel and the latest 4.0L.
The 3.4 used to return about 16L/100km city driving in Darwin
The turbo diesel 10L/100km but mostly freeway driving from Gold Coast to BN airport daily
The 4.0L returned 13.5L/100Km on the last tank mixed driving.

They are a great vehicle, never had any trouble on any of them and would recommend them to anyone.

Regards
Frank

mad_keen
01-07-2005, 08:26 AM
hey gunna
i think 03 is when they swopped over, as my vehicle is an 03 model with the 4L

gunna
01-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks all. #Interesting that Frankj is getting better consumption from the bigger motor ?? (of the two petrol motors.

Also - which year did they get 4x4 of the year ?? 03 or 04 ??

Jimmyd
03-07-2005, 05:45 AM
G'day Heath,

The wife and I have just returned from the NT fishing the Daly River and generally doing the tourist type stuff, mainly bitumen driving with the occasional dirt road and some 4 x 4 stuff including creek crossings at Litchfield National Park.

In total we did 8571 kms and averaged 14lt/100km sitting on 110km/hr with the air on. The Prado was loaded to the gunnels with an extra 75kgs stored in a roof pod. Bloody good investment was the pod as was the engel fridge and storage draws.
The Prado did not miss a beat and was extremely capable and comfortable in the different driving conditions.

We have a genuine fitted bullbar and have not experienced the vibrations problems previously discribed. The bullbar paid for itself approx 70km south of Longreach when I cleaned up a large grey roo in the dark on a bridge with on coming traffic and a car up my backside. If you are planning on travelling around this large brown country of ours and you can afford it, purchase a bullbar. The added safety to you and your family provided by a bullbar is worth every cent regardless of what the city slickers who never venture out of suburbia think.

The only critism I have of the Prado GXL is the plastic overhead sunglass/light assembly which is the only rattle in the whole truck and drives me crazy considering how extremly quiet the Prado is.

If you do decide to purchase a Prado I would recommend the petrol model as the cost of diesel in the outback is rediculous as is the additional servicing costs.

Do your homework and shop around, we saved in excess of $6000 simply by having three different distributors wanting our business. ;D ;D ;D Get the very best price from the distributor you ultimately want to purchase from and then approach his competitors and advise them what deal you have been offered and have them beat it by a considerable amount. Then go back to the original distributor and advise him that his competitors can better his offer. If he is serious about selling you a car he will as minimum match it and throw in some goodies as an incentive. Purchasing mid to later in the month can be an advantage as the distributors are keen to meet quoter to recieve manufactures incentives/bonuses.

Tight lines.

Jimmy