PDA

View Full Version : Litres per 100klms

lanceinator
06-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Hi all
I've recently brought myself a Toyota Landcruiser 96 GXL and I'm getting around 20 litres per 100 clicks. Is the excessive or about par? Any tips on how to better this?

Lance

bugman
07-05-2004, 05:23 AM
Lance,

I'm guessing it's a petrol - probably and auto as well. Par for the course mate. Good friend of mine at the 100 series GLX and when we took it off road I had to carry spare fuel for him.

You didn't say whether that was around town or highway driving.

Best best - is to buy a Landrover ;D

Bugman

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-05-2004, 07:50 AM
'76 series 3 long wheel base LandRover wagon 2.25L 4 cyl petrol engine -

opening speedo 27023 closing 28683
fuel 62.59l + 11.26l + 118.25l + 25.86l

that is 13.13l /100km

that big fuel up was when she was travelling the sand on north straddie with the twin tanks full family & gear for a couple of days as well - & just to make you feel crook - I ruptured an emmission valve whilst over there & ran on 3 cylinders due to oil fouling of a plug for a day. So the economy will be better than that - I've just put in a new distributor & leads. # ;D ;D ;D

I may never travel at 120km/hr but OH WHAT A FEELING !! hey brett.

chris

Thebuffalo
07-05-2004, 03:09 PM
My 6.5 diesel Chev gets 20 lt to the hundred around town. I would expect better from your gxl. I try not to worry too much about the consumption myself as the veh suits my needs. Your driving habits will certainly effect your consumption. If you can resist the urge to plant the foot at the lights and sit on 100k's on the road then you will get a good mileage. I can't so I don't worry too much about it. I would never drive a series three anywhere that required going further than 100 k's away:) Yes I know, I'm going to cop it :-/

macca
07-05-2004, 07:34 PM
You think that's bad. I've got a Ford maverick petrol, around town it gets 30l / 100 km. Very thirsty .

neptune
08-05-2004, 05:19 AM
TDI defender wagon - 9L/100kms, and aerodynamics of a fridge on wheels.

Big_Kev
08-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Yeah the petrol cruisers love the fuel.
Invest in a long hose and keep it plugged into the bowser.
A diesel will return figures between 11 and 13 depending on how you drive and how much it is loaded.
Do yourself a favour and keep well away from the landrovers the repair bills will scare you, LOL.
Cheers Kev. :o

Big_Kev
08-05-2004, 01:56 PM
' I ruptured an emmission valve whilst over there & ran on 3 cylinders due to oil fouling of a plug for a day. So the economy will be better than that - I've just put in a new distributor & leads. #

It never ends.

Thebuffalo
08-05-2004, 02:36 PM
You have a point there Kev.
Do yourself a favour and keep well away from the landrovers the repair bills will scare you, LOL.
Suppose the money they save on fuel helps to pay for the repairs.
Must all balance out in the end.

Big_Kev
08-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Nah Buff when they buy them they just have to make sure they have two kidneys, so one can be sold to keep the Rover going. LOL

Big_Kev
08-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Appolagies for highjacking the thread Lance.

lanceinator
08-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Nah thats fine! I like it when people put sh!t on Landrovers!

Big_Kev
08-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Nah thats fine! I like it when people put sh!t on Landrovers!

RAFLMAO at Lance. ;D

lanceinator
09-05-2004, 08:05 AM
RAFLMAO ???

Gorilla_in_Manila
09-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Lance
Check this for explaination.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Chathelp;action=display;num=1082969 980;start=0#0
Cheers
Jeff

jimbamb
09-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Met some blokes over WA towin Bushtracker caravans with petrol cruisers they were usin 35 l per 100km or worse, Scary stuff!!!!!

trevcob
09-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Have a 100 series 4.5LT petrol cruiser only got it 2 weeks ago its getting about 15 lt per 100km(manual).

trevcob
10-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Took the cruiser for a run today drove from Caloundra two blackbut then to emu creek about 40k of dirt road driveing in this plus a drive over a range. Done 313km and used 44lt .at average of 104.33km four 14.66lt .

Needmorerum
10-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Fully loaded (3.6t) my diesesel 1Hzzzz GXL 80 get around 17 l/100, around town it runs around 14.5 l/100 and Highway running MT around 12 l/100.

Corry

Lucky_Phill
11-05-2004, 05:43 PM
not a 4be, but

the ute gets 725klm's from 68ltrs h/way

and 515klm's from 68ltrs gas.

4.0ltr straight six in a 98 Ford ute, auto and air always on.

OK, it only gets 530k's around town out of 68ltrs,

economy,, you work it out.

then again... it 's about 3.9 cents per kilometer on gas at the moment. Ya gotta be happy with that. If only I could find a 4 x 4 that'll do that !

Cheers Phill

Needmorerum
11-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Hey Phill, economy sounds good, meet you at Vrilya Point for a weeks fishing, Oh hang on, sorry a Ford ute won't make it in there, If only I could find a Ford ute that'll do that!

LOL
Cheers
Corry

whiteman
12-05-2004, 11:37 AM
I know it's not in the same testosterone league as you guys but my Mazda Tribute petrol uses around 12l/100k. Can get below 10 on the highway with a tail wind. It's a quick car but not quite up to pulling 1,000+kg of boat and gear so it will soon be replaced, probably by a Prado diesel when they bring out the new motor (later this year???).

Lucky_Phill
12-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Yes Corry, thought about putting some Explorer running gear under Ute !

I did hit the beach over Easter in the Ute. Inskip Point !

Only buried it once ! :'( :-/ ;)

Phill ( non-4 x 4 owner, but maybe soon )

CHRIS_aka_GWH
13-05-2004, 11:33 AM
Nah Buff when they buy them they just have to make sure they have two kidneys, so one can be sold to keep the Rover going. LOL

;D ;D ;D RAOFL ;D ;D ;D RAOFL ;D ;D ;D RAOFL ;D ;D ;D RAOFL ;D ;D ;D RAOFL ;D ;D ;D RAOFL ;D ;D ;D RAOFL #[smiley=drunk.gif]

oh, agh stop it - my sides are hurting. Sorry guys couldn't type I was laughing so much.

emision valve diaphram $7.60
(can be replaced with a circular piece of tyre tube in an emergency apparently)
distributtor cap # # # # # $13.60
spark plug leads x 4 # # $13.25

within 600kms travel I'm ahead of a L/cruiser using 20l/100km.

That of course assumes the petrol L/cruiser is one of those "special ones" that never needs to replace the leads or cap.

I replaced them because they were original equipment - 28 years old - 28 years old - 28 years old -
28 years old ....

Landrover equipment is expensive if bought from a L/rover agent - other options exist that are much cheaper.

back to original thread

I think 4WD's of any variety will cost you more than an average car & your fooling yourself if you think they'll be cheaper or even on par with what are essentially much smaller vehicles with engines made to travel rather than pull.

They are heavier, they have more rubber in contact with the road & their engines drive 3 times the gear weight as most cars. As buffalo said the car is built to take you offroad - long slow accelerations will give you vastly better fuel economies .

chris

Big_Kev
13-05-2004, 04:50 PM
RAFLMAO, Its good to see you Landrover guys can retain your sense of humor in the face of adversity.
Kev :) :D :D

Barrymundi
14-05-2004, 03:34 AM
Work Car:
Ford F150 Custom 351 Fuel Injection 5 Speed Manual with Air
Custom Cab for 6 men, Thinks she is a 92 Model- Good vehicle
Dual Tanks
100k/ phr 30litres per 100k -that is the very best ever
120k/ phr 40litres per 100k - worst is 50l per 100 under extreme conditions
Towing makes no difference, it is an aerodynamic brick,

Al

jimbamb
14-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Al.
Take the hand brake off!!!!!!!! geez a sherman tank only uses that much!!!!!
Have u got lead boots????

Thebuffalo
14-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Kev I have never met a Landrover driver who has not had a sense of humour. I suppose it's obvious why they have. ;D

Al if it makes you feel any better, you are driving a light truck, that's what I tell myself anyway.

landy1
14-05-2004, 01:07 PM
800 + kms out of a full 80 litre tank city driving, highway driving closer to 1000kms that equals pretty damn good in my opinion And its a TDI LANDROVER and its never missed a beat ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers
Mick

CHRIS_aka_GWH
14-05-2004, 01:35 PM
I guess laughing all the way to the bank & having a sense of humour could be confused, eh Mick? :D

Big_Kev
14-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Thats good economy Mick.
What donk is in the disco? Is it the BMW 5cyl?
And in another 2yrs Chris your old girl can officialy be classed as a clasic car.
;D ;D

landy1
14-05-2004, 04:08 PM
I love the bagging of landys as unreliable, theyre so unreliable that there are still heaps of 1940's and 50's models driving around. ;D ;D ;D Shove that in your made in japan fourby and smoke it.

landy1
14-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Nope its a 300tdi made in Solihull, England by hand, not Korea by machine.
;D :-X

landy1
14-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Back to topic in hand, go the diesel preferably a smaller turbo diesel. acceleration isnt great but who's racing. A diesel will be hard to kill with a big stick and theyre inherently more reliable due to over engineering. Hard to kill with water aswell.
cheers
Mick

fishy_phil
15-05-2004, 08:29 AM
gday fellas

my uncle was working in a 4X4 repair shop for 5 years and the amount of major problems with the land rovers was incredible there was a ratio of 1:1 of land rovers to everything else!!!
and his conclusion was if you drive a land rover fill it up with spare parts and if you have enough room left over put your fishing gear and camping gear in!!! ever since then the only 4X4 hes ever owned has been the older ( early-mid 80s) landcruiser with the diesel engine. with economy down to around 14L/100km around the city and about 18L/100km towing his boat...its a 21 foot clark with twin 85s on the back with all the fishing gear as well .me im lookin to get a similar 'cruiser.
as for my car now its an old ford buzz box that gets around 6.6L/100km. this gets me to where i usually go fishing but having a 4X4 is what i really want. but there is no way in hell im goin to get a rover!!! 8) :o

by the way about the others being machine built and the rovers being hand built, so what! that is not where the problem is, its how the rovers were designed they were designed to break and they are no where near the standard they should be. ;) :P if they were then it would be a differant story i might consider buying one. but since they arent there is no way im gettin one. then there is the other reason of them not havin much power for the same money i can get a more reliable vehicle and its got more power.
by the way what is the towing capacity of the rovers compared to the 'cruiser??? ??? ???
cheers
phil...

Justme
15-05-2004, 10:31 AM
I have a Mazda Bravo 2.5 litre Intercooled turbo diesel and have recorded it's fuel economy since new 12 months ago.
It's now done almost 15000 kms and has averaged just a dribble under 12 litres/100kms.
Thats 23.6 mpg in old talk.
I'm reasonably happy with that although a bit more would be better.
Cheers
Larry

landy1
15-05-2004, 03:02 PM
A rover will tow 3.5 ton straight up, Id be suprised if the cruiser was anything like this. Even cruiser lovers (boooooring) admitt Rovers will out tow anything. I used to be a cruiser fan but all of their good points just rusted away so fast my head would spin. Ive owned and driven a variety of rovers for many years now and i also drive cruisers for work and id never own anything but a Rover.
cheers
Mick
P.S. everyone seems to say make sure youve got 2 kidneys for a rover cause youll have to sell one. After driving cruisers for eight hours you wont have to worry about kidneys with their crap suspension.

Lachie1
15-05-2004, 03:22 PM
In the cruiser ute we get about 800km per 90L of fuel. That is pretty good i would reckon. Thats mainly on highway running but so yer, I love this debate between the cruiser men and the rover boys its good stuff. Id have a crusier over one of them crap excuses for a 4 wheel drive anyday. :P ::)

Cheers, Lachie

landy1
15-05-2004, 05:00 PM
;D Dare I say i would very much buy a patrol before i even thought about a cruiser. Theyre not quite as butt ugly ;D But seriously I think i'll have to stay away from this post or i'll get my cranky pants on.
cheers
Mick

Big_Kev
15-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Come on Mick stick with it, you bite so well. LOL
Cheers Kev. :) :) :)

SteveCan
19-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Well - since you brought the subject up - the Patrol 3.0L Turbo Diesel get 11lt/100k wihtout a boat on the back and 12lt/100 with.

Not complaining - even though I have a company fuel card #;) Previoul company car was a 2.0L Daewoo Nubira wagon that used as many litres of petrol as the Patrol uses diesel. Except when towing when it was FAR worse.

Both me and the Boss are happy with the Patrol. #:)

Cheers
Steve

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-05-2004, 01:55 PM
my uncle was working in a 4X4 repair shop for 5 years and the amount of major problems with the land rovers was incredible there was a ratio of 1:1 of land rovers to everything else!!!
and his conclusion was

that is not where the problem is, its how the rovers were designed they were designed to break and they are no where near the standard they should be. ## # # #

Incredible how so many countries would cripple their own armed forces by using such disgustingly engineered monstrosoties #;D. Ever tried to find an ex-army landy for sale - its pretty hard they don't sell 'em just service them & put them back i the field.

Mechanics hate them because do require extra work. Take my S3. Filters that are not diposable - but you can take em apart & clean them if needs be. It takes several more actions to remove & change.

Mechanics may see more of them because more landrover bodies & chasises, survive longer.

chris

Big_Kev
19-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Incredible how so many countries would cripple their own armed forces by using such disgustingly engineered monstrosoties #;D.

I am glad it is a landrover owner that said that. :) :).
That way you can't bash us Landcruiser owners for saying bad things about Landrovers all the time.

banshee
19-05-2004, 06:11 PM
There's no milage for you landie owners bringing the Army into it.Toyota,Nissan........Nissan,Toyota,there's only two choices!

Lachie1
19-05-2004, 07:11 PM
There's no milage for you landie owners bringing the Army into it.Toyota,Nissan........Nissan,Toyota,there's only two choices!

Yeah and even then its pretty clear cut that if you want a no nonsense, tough as guts 4x4 you get a Landcruiser or at least some sort of toyota. ;D ;D

Cheers, Lachie

neptune
20-05-2004, 05:30 AM
Bring out your land cruisers and what ever else you drive, as a stock standard vehicle I'll bet you can't go half the places I can in my Rover. You cruiser people have a special mind set, while I buy Penn and Fin nor reels, you are probably purchasing shimano and daiwa. I go for functionality not breakable gimmics. I purchase a 4wd for it's off road capabilities and if you think your japanese vehicles are more capable in that department, your very disallusioned.

Big_Kev
20-05-2004, 01:55 PM
[quote author=neptune link=board=4X4;num=1083759500;start=40#45 date=05/19/04 at 09:30:12] I go for functionality not breakable gimmics.

Then you should not be buying a Rover.

Big_Kev
20-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Cmon Neptune how about some hard facts then.
I read a lot of hear say and wild assumptions. And I rekon this and that and the other. But if it is the Landcruiser people that have the special mind set as you call it, then what is it?
I would just like it explained that if rovers are so great then why don't they control the market share?
Cheers Kev. :)

mackmauler
20-05-2004, 02:05 PM
can we talk about boats ;D your hurting my feelings KEVAY :P

Big_Kev
20-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Sorry Rob if I hurt your feelings but I am not saying anything bad just sticking to the facts here.

landy1
20-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Simple, Landrover concentrates on engineering rather than advertising. Instead of flooding the market with cheap crap they just design and build good four wheel drives. Landrover only make four wheel drives in case you hadnt noticed. Cant remember when i saw a Landrover starlet or a Landrover pulsar being driven round by some pimple faced pizza delivery boy. Landrover are a low volume producer who up until last year handmade their vehicles. Thats the kind of brand I trust and the kind of dedication that the military and serious exploration teams rely on. Interesting to read a comparision between Defenders and Troopys awhile ago in 4WD monthly (test of the hardcore) when Toyota put up their luxury troopy with a difflocker against a stock standard defender. The defender still out drove it in the bush. Even the journos had a laugh at that one. ;D
cheers
Mick

landy1
20-05-2004, 04:27 PM
The difference in market share comes from the four wheel drive boom of the late seventies (Leyland Brothers et al.) while toyota and nissan could pump out hundreds and hundreds of their models to fill this new niche landrover stuck to being a small volume producer to keep the quality of the product alive. It still carrys through today, while other four wheel drive producers continually change their product through constant facelifts creating a keeping up with the Joneses fashion wank Landrover makes changes underneath and largely leaves the surface alone unless its a necessary change. Compare a current defender with a series 2. Series 2 came out in 1958 and a lot of the body panels are still interchangeable to an extent. Why fix it if it aint broke. I do hate the handbrake position though :-X. Same goes for the discovery theyve barely changed since 1989. Even now I could drop a Range rover shell onto my disco frame and have it bolt straight up using the exact same drive train. Try that in your patrol.
cheers
Mick

Big_Kev
20-05-2004, 04:45 PM
So if they don't need to make facelifts can you explain the Discovrey range.

Big_Kev
20-05-2004, 04:57 PM
In 1994 an attempt was made by Rover to increase production to supply the American and Australian market, but with a lack of investment capital and a build quality that was already lower than Japanese manufacturers standards, quality went through the floor.
Thank God they don't make more than they do.
Cheers Kev.
Along with the poor warranty.
Along with the industrial strife that has plagued Land Rover with all the ownership changes.
Who does own landrover now anyway?

neptune
21-05-2004, 04:45 AM
Like I said, if you think your land cruiser stacks up, lets put them to the test. Things don't need to be huge sellers to be of good quality, I bet more Australians have bought bic biro's than parker pens.

Sportfish_5
21-05-2004, 08:23 AM
I believe that Ford now own Land Rover :-X but that may have changed ;D ;D

banshee
21-05-2004, 09:21 AM
"Landrover don't flood the market with cheap crap",very true, they salt the market with expensive shit.If these vehicles are the engineering masterpieces you blokes claim them to be why is their resale value so low?Saying that Landrover only make 4x4's is the same as saying that landcruiser only make 4x4's,Landrovers are made by Rover who is owned by Ford and there are models of two wheel drive Rovers.I mentioned before about the lack of milage in using the ADF(millitary)as an arguement for Landies here's why,these vehichles go straight from Landrover Aust. to a contractor,the first thing that happens is the motor gets replaced with an Isuzu 4BD1 3.9 Diesel,then the suspension gets an upgrade,then extra gussets and bracing is added,lastly the body work gets customised to accomadate their needs,all up each vehicle is in the shop for about four weeks before the Army takes possesion of it,the only thing common to your garden variety Landie is the shape and the drive train.I don't think any body has critised the ability of the Landie,more so the reliability or lack there of.There are British cars and there are Pommie cars,I'm affraid the Landie belongs to the later.

neptune
21-05-2004, 10:37 AM
All you people who don't own land rovers, which you say are the majority, and bag them at every opportunity, must have an inferiority complex to feel so insecure, as to go and study all these aspects of a car they detest. Maybe you are just trying to assure yourself that you did the right thing when you purchased your Japanese pretend 4wd, when deep down inside you know you didn't.

jono_69
21-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Landcruiser V8 on Gas 25L/100KM x 31.9c Litre at Woolworths 96L Gas 97L petrol 800-1000km range runs like a dream. Laughing at all the other poor bastards loading up 165L of petrol into their Landcruisers Ouch that must sting after a while

landy1
21-05-2004, 12:43 PM
As i said the discovery range has remained almost unchanged since 1989 to the current model. Could you swap bits from your cruiser over a decade ago. Also Landrover is an independent brand they are not owned by Rover they were set up after the war purely to build 4WD's. If your talking about after market work the ADF currently uses defenders with the td5 engine as does all the other government departments. Suspension upgrades would be for the extra equipment the ADF fills them with. Look at the after market equipment industry centred around Landcruiser and Patrol. Why would TJM, ARB etc exist if theyre so damn good. Basically if you want a 4WD then go to a 4WD manaufacturer if you want a car go to a car manufacturer. Stack an out of the box defender against anything short of a Unimog and itll whip its arse. Landrover have proven their product a million times over, some people are just sore losers it seems. ;D
My favourite bit is that the U.S. Rangers have ditched their Humvees for landrovers AkA the SAS Long range patrol vehicles. As for dismissing the ADF links. The ADF have been using them for the past 40 years, guess that kinda says that theyre satisfied.
Cheers
Mick

Big_Kev
21-05-2004, 12:46 PM
All you people who don't own land rovers, which you say are the majority, and bag them at every opportunity, must have an inferiority complex to feel so insecure, as to go and study all these aspects of a car they detest. Maybe you are just trying to assure yourself that you did the right thing when you purchased your Japanese pretend 4wd, when deep down inside you know you didn't.

There it is again assumptions, personal attacks and personal oppinions,rather than something solid to qualify why Landrovers are so much better than the Jappanese 4x4's.
Seems to be plenty to show cause as to why we should be thinking like we do.
I don't read to much to say that Land Rovers can't carry out the intended duty as far as a light duty 4x4 goes.
But I can tell you from personal experience the Defenders just cannot cut the mustard when put to the hard task and the 70 series traybacks run rings around them as they lay broken in heap like a bucket of nuts and bolts. :-X :-X :-X
Cheers Kev.

Big_Kev
21-05-2004, 01:13 PM
As i said the discovery range has remained almost unchanged since 1989 to the current model. Could you swap bits from your cruiser over a decade ago. Also Landrover is an independent brand they are not owned by Rover they were set up after the war purely to build 4WD's. If your talking about after market work the ADF currently uses defenders with the td5 engine as does all the other government departments. Suspension upgrades would be for the extra equipment the ADF fills them with. Look at the after market equipment industry centred around Landcruiser and Patrol. Why would TJM, ARB etc exist if theyre so damn good. Basically if you want a 4WD then go to a 4WD manaufacturer if you want a car go to a car manufacturer. Stack an out of the box defender against anything short of a Unimog and itll whip its arse. Landrover have proven their product a million times over, some people are just sore losers it seems. ;D
My favourite bit is that the U.S. Rangers have ditched their Humvees for landrovers AkA the SAS Long range patrol vehicles. As for dismissing the ADF links. The ADF have been using them for the past 40 years, guess that kinda says that theyre satisfied.
Cheers
Mick

Well at least we got some sort of a better response.
To answer one of your questions Mick as to swapping parts from a cruiser a decade ago the answer is yes definetly. The parts interchangability of the Toyotas is very good.
After all the 40 series ran for 20yrs, 60 10yrs, 80 8 yrs, the 75 is still going with the 79series and much can still be swapped and was even better with earlier models for about the first 15yrs. It is also a good point that the 75 series running gear was straight from the 45 series only the axel housings are longer. (The body shape had to be changed as no one wanted to drive the 45 series keystone cop look anymore. The Defender still has this look but)
And as for the defender off the shelf whipping 75 series arse I am afraid that I beg to differ.
Cheers Kev.

mackmauler
21-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Kev, what did you do to the defender as they seem pretty tough to me :)

landy1
21-05-2004, 02:14 PM
;D This is getting BORING, im only quoting the leading 4WD magazine for this country in saying the defender whipped the landcruisers arse. ;D ;D
Anyway some people will never learn so we will just have to learn to live together together. Ive made my choice and im very happy with it.
Now what was this thread about again. ::) :P

Big_Kev
21-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Rob I have worked in the minning industry for twenty years and Tojo's have been the main line ancillary vehicle. Nissans are good but the toyotas are tougher.
Tojos are used as a service vehicle to support the minning fleet within the open cut pit, loaded with tools parts and all sorts of crap, they are driven with no mercy and are flogged 24hrs a day 7 days a week and get airborn constantly. When it rains they are used as the favourite rally car and races against each other are common place (I did not say that and I cannot remember a thing).
Driving through slop a foot deep all day is not out of the question.
In 95 we got 5 Defenders new out of the box and from day one we had one of them in the shop with a major repair constantly.(engines, gearboxes, axels, broken chassis etc etc you name it)
Over a 6 month period they returned an availability of less than 75% the Tojos (even with being older) getting better than 90%.
Not much has changed with these things by Landrover lovers own addmissions and it is my oppinion that Fred flinstone or the Keystone cops would be at home in one of these.
You asked for it Kev ::)

landy1
21-05-2004, 03:01 PM
I could say exacty the same thing but brands reversed for my line of work, seems to be a lot of landrovers being used up here by MIM aswell. We keep breaking the tojos at work because they shake themselves apart. Its good to see that toyota have finally figured out that coil springs are an option. Pity it took them twenty years.
;D :-X ;D :-X ;D :-X

Big_Kev
21-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Mick I thought you said you had had enough.
But then again you just couldn't help yourself could you.LOL ;D ;D

blaze
21-05-2004, 03:34 PM
i have owned or had as work vechicles
land drover (probably a 1960 mod holden donk, what a missfit)
suzuki (3 cyc popper, go any where)
Cruiser (1986, put a falcon 250, good match go most places)
Nissan Navara (gutless, good city 4x4) x 2
mitsibisi L300 van (good on a beach, good for sleeping in, fitted with 2.6 magna motor, had that for 8 years)
Range rover (dont know yet, fuel cosumption ok, nice on the road and beach, good for towing the boat)
Now my point is that when I have mistreated any of the above vechiles, I can bust them every time, i have done a lot of miles off road in most of them and i think they all performed well for there designed purpose
I do regular services and maintance and dont treat them with kid gloves, just enjoy driving them
which one cost the most to keep on the road (take it off the road and its the same as a boat) and if you dont wanta spend money, buy a bloody car
cheers
blaze

savagetin
21-05-2004, 04:57 PM
I have owned my troopy for over 15 years now and in that time I would not have spent more than $3k on maintenance (oil & filters etc.) and repairs (radiator, water pump & diff). (excluding batteries, have to replace that every 12-18 months). Fuel economy averages 11L per 100k. Who could ask for better vehicle?
Tony

trevcob
21-05-2004, 05:01 PM
I think you will find the SAS use a 6 wheel drive v8.Which nearly every major part has been replaced.

landy1
22-05-2004, 05:24 AM
;D I aint gonna change my mind and you wont change yours. bit like pushing crap up a hill isnt it. ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
22-05-2004, 06:24 AM
so.....

has anyone got a Lada ?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

a good belly laugh about rusky quality engineering should make us all friends again.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
22-05-2004, 11:13 AM
in my job here at the scairport I get the opportunity to compare a lot of cars. We currently have 4 Discoveries in the lockup - in their standard form the underbody setup says they are definitely a more serious offroad vehicle than the brand new t.o.t.r. landcruiser (not a Prado) I compared it to.

have a look someday - there's a lot of serious engineering under there.

Sportfish_5
22-05-2004, 01:24 PM
There is really only one type of 4wd that will not cost you money and I have one ;D

Company car with 100% private use ;)

No fuel,rego,insurance or maintenance and it comes on holiday with me. Just dont tell them about the tow pack I got put on it [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Big_Kev
22-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Don't own a Lada but there is a story or 2 there to be told for sure.
I can tell you heaps about the Russian built Bellarus tractors as well. I think they are made in the same factory LOL.

blaze
22-05-2004, 03:41 PM
I did a bit of jail time on bellarus (not really jail but felt like it)
How many did ya see Kev that broke that poxy steering setup on the front 4x4 axle
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
22-05-2004, 04:30 PM
We use to see a lot of the model Bellarus Brutus.
We use to call them Bellarus Rootus.LOL
What a great piece of engineering.
They had a diff lock that you had to twist a handle in the cab that wound a cable running down to the diff via a hole cut in the top tank of the radiator.
You would have to watch your head wenever crawling underneath, because the dags in the castings on the diff housings would bust you up like falling off the rocks at Noosa heads.
I think it had 4 gear sticks poking through the floor and who would know what range or gear it was in cause no one could read Russian.
Just pulled and pushed and when it went at about the correct speed that was the gear and draw a nicco pen picture on the windscreen for future reference.
But if you were a busted arse cocky wanting a cheap power horse, then the big russian V12 powerhouse was the answer. Coming in at 70 grand when the American built stiegher was 250 grand.
But not to good if you needed a crop in and waiting on a part to come on the next ship that was iced in at the north pole.
Cheers Kev. :o

Sportfish_5
22-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Kev - Who did you used to work for when looking after Bellarus Tractors ?? Brings back memories. I did my apprenticeship on Ford, Shibura and White tractors here in Brisbane.

Cheers,

Greg

landy1
22-05-2004, 05:03 PM
I agree the best 4x4 is no doubt someone elses, they can go through just about anything ;D Rental brands good but Work is better ;D

blaze
22-05-2004, 06:13 PM
hi sportfish
done some service training up in logan on john deere, not bad gear to work on is the ag gear
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
23-05-2004, 02:59 AM
Rental 4x4 now your talking quality.
They are the ones that can select reverse gear while traveling down the highway at 100kmh.Go over bumps Duke style.
Go around corners on two wheels and tyres that never wear out.

Do you want the insurance with that car sir.

Ah is the crash helmet not giving you the answer.
Gotta love the rentals.

mackmauler
23-05-2004, 07:53 AM
LOL Kev

Mr__Bean
24-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Geeez,

Talk about kids having a squabble over nothing.

Mines better than yours!!!!! Gawd, sounds like the dinner table whilst I am trying to watch the news.

Anyhow, back to the original intent of the post. 10 month old GXL Turbo Deisel auto, returning average of 10.4 ltrs/100 km when driven country miles at ussual 105 - 110 kmh.

About half that again when pulling 2 ton of boat at highway speeds.

- Bean

bugman
25-05-2004, 06:29 AM
OH my God - where have I been - how can a debate go on so long and me not know about it - sorry for all those involved who haven't had the chance to read my inciteful and witty posts. ;D

I wanted to buy a new 4wd in 2000. I wanted a 4wd that I could hit the beach alot - go bush alot and tow a fair bit (boat up the beach).

I looked around seriously for capability and price. I wasn't interested in gadgets or appearance purely functionality and price.

It came down to two - Landrover Defender and Landcruiser Prado.

Landrover out of the box was perfect mechancially - although I wasn't really happy with internal layout and seat configuration.

I was advised to upgrade the supension on the prado and probably get a difflock at the same time. Towing capability was also 2000 kgs less than the Defender unless you got the otional upgraded towing kit which I think was bigger radiator and brakes.

Short story is I went with the Landy and despite numerous trips back to the shop I am over the moon with her. For those ready to jump the problems were all fidly pieces of crap (horn didn't work, indicator problem, coolant hose leek, bolt corrosion)

Mechanically I have not been able to fault the girl. She's done 76,000, I recently had front coils replaced and new brake disks all the way around - combination of heavy brakes and lots of sand apparantly.

I have got a fuel range of 7 kms to 12 km's to the litre.

Which is 14 to 8 litres per 100 kms - depending on airconditioning (makes big difference) ground speed and weight on board.

At 90-95km an hour even with big boat I get 10's take that up to 110kmph and the fuel consumptions rises dramatically.

My sister has a 2002 Prado out of the box. It has come with me on a few occasions and has never missed a beat - have never really pushed it though but I'm sure it could handle a fair bit.

I'm over the moon with my purchase. And in a couple of months time I'll be the big green fridge towing a 2 tonne boat up the beach on Fraser with no problems what so ever.

Bugman

Big_Kev
25-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Yeah we all know Brett.

Anyhow I just filled the cruiser for the first time as the fuel gauge for the rear tank has a mind of its own. 1985/75 series with 2H diesel 5 speed with plenty of miles on the clock.
The figures are 1000kms of towing the boat, running around town, back and forward to the hardware and not much highway = just under 130ltrs. 13ltrs/100kms.
According to the manual it holds 180 litres so I had a few miles up my sleeve, so I will have to fix that gauge.
I had a chat with a bloke had a 80 series 4500 petrol auto as I was filling up and I asked him about fuel economy with his rig and he frowned and said please don't ask me that again. So I didn't.
Hope the helps. Kev ;D ;D ;D

heaney
30-05-2004, 04:44 PM
get 14l/ 100 out of my 4wd ute

bruce4x4
30-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Have got 80series 1990 cruiser with 300.000 ks on the clock i get around 1000 km from my to tanks 90/45 lts ?. Is that ok town & highway driving. That is generally fully loaded with camping gear on highway. ;D ;D ;D

ol_bob
12-07-2004, 11:02 AM
gday,
just new to this whole chat thing so if i make a few blues please point me in the right direction, does any know about using pvc pipes for water tanks i have been told the grow algae after a while is there any tablets you can put in there to stop it. any thoughts or feelings would be greatly appreciated

Big_Kev
12-07-2004, 02:03 PM
You are doing well Bob and welcome to the board.
For the water tank idea it is best to start a new thread by hitting the start new topic key.On the top of the front page for the forum section you want to inquire on.
Name it something like PVC water tank.
It could be entered into the camping section or the 4X4 section.
Cheers Kev.

Whitelightning
13-07-2004, 08:01 AM
I am on my second Toyo LC100 TDI 5 spd auto. Both have been great for fuel - around 11l/100kms around town and just under 10l/100kms touring - not being gentle either. Great power off the mark. This gives a range greater than 1300kms without stretching it. Towing 1.6 tonne of loaded single axle van @ 100kph increases consumption to about 15l/100kms - but really comfortable and secure.

Payneful
14-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Hilux 2.8 L Diesel (with 205 tyres) = 11L/100km
Same Hilux with 31X10.5 tyres = 13L/100km

80 series Cruiser 1HZ (4.2 L Diesel aftermarket turbo) = 13L/100km
towing 3.5 tonne trailer and tractor = 22L/100km
Towing 16 foot alloy boat = 15-16L/100km

All figures are highway driving at 90-100km/hour.
110km/hour over 100km/hour makes a big difference.

Sam.

Dug
25-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Should I mention this ???
My wife just bought a peugeot 307 Hdi 2lt turbo diesel, on the highway it gets 1,400km out of a tank, round town it is returning about 5.5 lt per 100km [smiley=stunned.gif] #She loves pulling in to the pump and having 4wd drivers freak when she starts filling it up with diesel.

So if you see a little old lady with a silver Pug and punk hair just let her go OK.

If we need one we rent a 4wd, or we take my 2WD HiLux ute @ 8 to 10lt per 100.

brush
26-07-2004, 03:29 AM
Lance, fuel is the cheap part of of running a top vehicle,being an old pensioner i log the fuel used on our petrol 1994 80 series auto, we have just come back from a trip to the southern states towing a statesman 22.6 van.we get 18.5--29.8 per100 km mean av is 25.0 .with out the van and tinny on top is 20.0 as well. fit a hiclone well worth the $$ .
cheers Brush

Dug
26-07-2004, 10:10 AM
I just looked into the HiClone things for my ute, my dynotune said he had bought $10,000 worth and fitted them to everything from a 5.7Lt V8 race car to a 3 cylinder Suzy...... Net result after 2 months running in? NOTHING ZIP ZILCH [smiley=stunned.gif]

To give them credit they did refund the full purchase price but you would need to get accurate figures before spending $300+

I have also talked to engineers who were running a test bed engine for research, similar story.

I just worked out the price and you would need to be traveling a LOT to recover the cost of the little suckers if they did work up to the advertised performance.

I love the concept of them but I am not convinced

hercules
26-07-2004, 03:26 PM
own a gmc super cab 6.5 turbo diesel 4wd . Total weight of truck is 3 tonne empty, with tools 4 tonne , towing my bobcat add 3.5 tonne = scarey :o
At its best i get 6.5 km per litre down hill with a tail wind. When towing i don't really want to know , just put it on motorcharge and get the secretary to pay it at end of month.
Despite the huge diesel bill my last chevy with the 5.7 litre petrol got me 4.5km per litre :'(
The painful thing about owning an import is the parts and the fact that not many mechanics can fix them.
Would love to own something simple like a cruiser but their tow capacity isn't big enough neither are they strong enough to do what i do.
When i grow up i want to own a new 6.6 litre duramax chev diesel with 300 hp of grunt , 4500kg tow capacity and a $112,00 price tag , now that hurts ;D
Craig

brush
27-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Lance , what a topic fuel ecom,as i suggested the clone fitted to our 80 ser improved the perf. however the perf. statements from the mfg. are always bias to their product,what i am saying the toyota now runs like a vehicle running at night in cooler air,idles sweeter,holds the revs longer towing,and for ,,,$$$ 160.00 dollars is money well spent; carn,t understand why an engine tuner would spend $$ to test a product that already had thousands spent in developement cheers .

Rev
31-07-2004, 07:04 PM
2001 TD5 Discovery.

9.7l/100km and 11l/100km around town!

No repair bills (I tell a lie, I've had to replace the wiper blades because one split).

127,000km and I haven't even had to put tyres on it yet!

I've had a Toyota and a Pajero longterm (250,000km each) and driven plenty of others as supplied by previous employers, on road and tons of offroad, but when it came time to buy my own I went no further than the nearest Land Rover Dealer.

Here's a word Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and those other just don't even know about!

Heritage

Big_Kev
01-08-2004, 02:52 AM
I love a man with a sense of humor. RAFLMAO.

banshee
01-08-2004, 07:35 AM
A couple of words that landie addicts don't want to know......RESALE VALUE.How can something so "good" depreciate so rapidly?

megafish71
01-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Come on there banshee, you don't want those landy owners to loose their sence of humor? After all they must have a sense of humor to own a landy. heheheheheh ;D ;D ;D
Cheers Ron

Rev
01-08-2004, 06:48 PM
There are only two types of 4WD owners!

Ones that own a Land Rover and the others that want a Land Rover.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Check this out;

Land Rover, Vehicle of the Century (http://www.lrfaq.org/BBC-TopGearLandRover.wmv)

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Cloud_9
17-08-2004, 04:57 PM
you landy guys have got too much free time on your hands.

im getting 13 litres per 100KM's from my new rodeo, but im lead footing it to run in.

Cheers Cloud 9

nisrol
17-08-2004, 06:58 PM
hmmmm i really don't know about all this trivial arguing about who has and or who makes the best 4by i am buying one for the purpose of towing my boat and carrying my family around ( cause it's pulling the arse out of my poor 3.9ltr falcon sedan ).
well it is made by nissan so what ! 8) i'm happy as long as it does what i have brought it for ;D ;D ;D ;) [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=whip.gif]

nisrol
18-08-2004, 10:30 AM
actualy just had a thought maybe the owners of the early landrovers like them so much is cause there parents never brought them a mecano set when they were kids so now they buy bolt together 4 wheel drives LOL ;D ;D [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=whip.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-08-2004, 11:09 AM
actualy just had a thought maybe the owners of the early landrovers like them so much is cause there parents never brought them a mecano set when they were kids so now they buy bolt together 4 wheel drives

you begin to understand grasshopper - simplicity is part of the attraction & the ability to work on the early ones yourself saves dollars better spent on tackle. For the price they out perform brand new stuff on the beach in the real soft stuff.

i just got back from straddie - before going over serviced the old girl - dropped all fluids (gearboxes, diffs, swivel pins etc), removed relubed & refitted the front & rear propellor shafts all with relative ease without hoisting or jacking the vehicle whatsoever just lying on the driveway.

Over straddie we literally emptied buckets of sand out of it we walked into it over the week - we had people hopping in & out, bait, cutting boards, live bait tanks sloshing around etc in the back all week. We never saw a Landy bogged & there were many out there.

Once back unbolted the front floor panels & hosed out the interior & exterior of it. Removal of the floor panels (15 min) meant i could fully flush the frame & drive train & springs.

Its hard to beat them for beach work & endurance - my passion I guess lies in their simplicity & appropriateness to task. A bit of me is in that car - my work. Its not a road car. I own a beach adventure vehicle that I drive to work everyday - comfort is for the dying.

chris

fishy_phil
20-08-2004, 04:08 PM
just dont get me started on PAJEROS!!! :-X
if you havent read my joke pajero in spanish means ######!!! ;D
cheers
phil

cosmo
27-10-2004, 06:23 PM
I've got a Paj 96 3.5L AUTO. It chews around 16L per 100Km. Goes alright though

Glug
30-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Land rover will get you any where but will it get you back? ;D

cameronr
30-11-2004, 12:50 PM
my 1996 Jackaroo 3.5 V6 gets 14l per 100k in town and on the hiway

which is about the same as my old 1980 model MQ patrol diesel

searay1
02-07-2005, 03:59 PM
own a f250 crew cab 7.3ltr turbo diesel,,, 2790 kms,,, 16ltr per 100kms 8)

Angla
04-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Got a 99 Jackaroo 3.0 l Turbo Diesel
Towing at 110-120km/hr with 2000 kg boat .........6.5km/litre
around town and highway from high 7 to 10km/litre depending on speed.
Very comfortable to drive too

Angla

flytime
05-07-2005, 02:52 AM
This has been a great topic. I've just read the whole thing. I own a 7.3 ltre turbo diesel V8 (F250) and i'm getting 16Ltrs per 100km weather i'm towing my hornet or not.
Steve :)