PDA

View Full Version : Not a 4x4 but need a commercial van

bugman
06-07-2005, 04:22 AM
Gents,

I know a lot of you guys out there may use or have driven commercial vans like Toyota Hiace, Mitsubishi Express etc.

Our business needs a delivery van and rather than lease a new one I'm looking for a good ex govt auction purchase.

Having not driven any of these vehicles I'm looking for good/bad on any van models around the 2000-2002 vintage.

Thanks in advance.

Brett

blaze
06-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Brett
Only thing I can add about commercial vans is to be very wary about any thing with 160 000km on it, they tend to have problems with 5th gear at around 160 000km, the owners manual will tell you not to tow in 5th gear but dont tell you that a loaded up commercial is he same.
If it was me I would look at some thing with about 50k on it and that should get you to 150k without to many drama's or
look for 200k and check to see if the box has been reseal around the major joints if not dont touch
cheers
blaze

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-07-2005, 02:33 AM
hiaces were a strong fleet vehicle in my previous life
so strong they get kept in the fleet to 200k
most annoying problem i recall was a tendency for the a/c belts to loosen
gotta watch the wheel alignments & balance because if not right they scrub the rubber very quickly
not the tallest payload space only about 1.2m from memory (they are 3.1m long payload & forgot the width but the rear wheel arches intrude which could be an issue) - #but that does let you into underground parks etc where the transits can't go