PDA

View Full Version : what 4x4 ute to buy??

jeffo
04-07-2005, 02:14 PM
looking at buying a 4x4 ute for work and for a bit of beach work every now and then.

anything under 20g is with in my budget.

i'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with hilux,triton, rodeo and courier. i looked around a bit today and found plenty of good looking vehicles around my price range. knowing bugger all about them its hard to make good judgments ::) also your thoughts about V6 vs diesel vs Turbo Dsl.

thanks in advance.
jeff

mini696
05-07-2005, 07:36 AM
I have just been through this process myself. This is only my opinion, and was my reasoning behind my purchase.

I prefer Diesels to Petrol. #The Diesel may cost more, but generally they are more fuel efficient (but not always), besides which, if you use Premium Unleaded (which you should) there is rarely a difference in fuel cost.

If you get Diesel get a Turbo, the pick up of Diesel is quite bad. #For towing, and general use as a 4wd I believe the Diesels are better too. #The torque from them is amaizing. #Noisy and Smelly, but a better option than Petrol IMHO.

DONT GET GAS!! #I hate them. HAAAATE THEMMM!!!

As for the type;
*Hilux's -Expensive (because they are the most popluar, and hold their value). Plenty of spares, plenty of optional extras, lots of owner/drivers to talk to. #You wont get picked on when you join a 4wd club either. LOL. Toyota's service is good too.

*Triton -Not too sure on the car itself, but I think they look like crap, so would never get one. #I dont like Mitsubishi's anyway. #I dont like their service (Mitsubishi's) either. #But I dont think there is anything actually "wrong" with the car. #Nothing more than the others you are looking at.

*Courier -Similar reasons to the Triton. They look ugly, but I cant think of anything that notoriously goes wrong with them.

*Rodeo -This is what I have (so look out for bias). #When I got down to my final choice, I had two options. Hilux, or Rodeo. #I am not too fussed on Holden's service, but really like Toyota's. #The Rodeo is fairly comfortable, has a good powerband, and handles the crap really well. #So far I have had it in the sand, mud and slight offroad and I never once was worried about anything. #The reason I got the Rodeo over the Hilux is purely because I could get one 5-7 years newer without any more cost (I got a 1998 Rodeo DualCab 2.8tD, extended chassis).

So to sum up. I would get the Hilux or Rodeo. Diesel. Turbo.

Mick

mini696
05-07-2005, 07:54 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Classified;action=display;num=11202 68943

You've probably already seen this one.

Mick

jeffo
06-07-2005, 02:18 AM
thanks very much for the reply mick... surely out of all the members on ausfish mick isnt the only person who has bought a 4wd and has an oppinion on them :o :-/ ::)

DaneCross
06-07-2005, 07:13 AM
My family had a hilux for many years Jeffo, '84 2.4L diesel - pretty sluggish especially when towing but unbreakable. The thing couldn't be stopped, never broke down, went anywhere (4x4-wise) and the only reason the oldman got rid of it was because it had done 350,000+km and the tray was rusting out of her. They oldmans upgraded now to a '98 rodeo 2.8L turbo diesel a lot like Micks above but duel cab. A lot more power in this fella, tows well and in the limited off-roading its had (a couple of trips to Moreton) they haven't had a problem what-so-ever.
My opinions are similar to Micks, if you've got the cash go the hilux if not the rodeo is a good second option and probably better value for money ;)

hoga
06-07-2005, 03:26 PM
check out the 3 lt turbo diesel navara i know heaps of people
who have them all happy heaps of tradies have them hoga

sharkbait
08-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Hey Jeffo,

I've had my Hilux (1990 single cab petrol) for 3 1/2 years now and It's still going strong. I've put 75 000 kms on it (now up to 220 000 total) and it's done a heap of work.

I will be looking to upgrade soon and will be spending a similar amount to your budget, and will definitely go another single cab petrol hilux. A mate has just got a 2004 2.7ltr petrol and i reckon they are the goods. Haven't driven the v6 but i think the 2.7 is plenty in a single cab.

Just wash the salt off it after going on the beach!

Hope this helps!

Kris

griz066
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
IMHO you won't go wrong with a Triton I picked up a pre 2000 2.6 diesel for 18.500 and you just can't stop it great on fuel, comfy ride, not the fastest around but reliable. looked at a lot of others thought the navara was crap hilux was overpriced and rodeo was 2nd choice.

jimbamb
11-07-2005, 11:17 AM
mightnt be the most talked about vehicle but a mazda/courier 2.5 turbo deisel /intercooler Really impressed me stacks of power good ride and 9.5l per 100k at 110kmph.Always had hiluxes but made the change after a bad experience with a 3l d hilux dual cab 2002 model. and so far am really happy.will know ,more about it after towin our van out west in a couple of weeks

gawby
11-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Jeffo, I have driven a variety of 4x4s over the years and a lot of it comes down to personal choice. I am on my second rodeo. I had a 2.8 turbo diesel first (duelcab) went to S.A. towing a dog trailer and the missus in the front, Frazer a few times, out to Boulia and it didnt miss a beat. Sold it to a mate, he rebuilt the motor and a general clean up and it is like new again. It was a 98 model and the motor was sus when i bought it. Now got a 2003 3lt intercooled turbo diesel, auto trans been to Frazer and inskip, on the sand the auto is realy good. It does the work for you. I have a 525 Stacer and it tows it without a problem. I might be bias but i like holdens. I have driven hilux and others but dont think they compare. Under different circumstances, toyota landcruisers were used by the police when i was there and in the mud and rough counrty out there they were the best. I think Brejen would agree with me as he borrows my 4x4 to go on holidays and always give me good reports when he gets back. The choice is yours but be careful where you by from. I deliver cars for a living throughout Qld and bring a lot of crap back from out west and up north which is worn out and patched up to look good to the unsuspecting buyer. Good luck ;)